• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could a new system for request stops be introduced, such as buttons to request a stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Efini92

Established Member
As I suggested in another thread, how about bus-style Stop buttons and announcements saying "The next station is Tinytown. Please press the Stop button now if you wish to leave the train there" ?
In theory a good idea but practically it would get pressed all the time by people wether accidental or deliberate.
I find most just ask the driver before boarding, it’s probably the most reliable way.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As I suggested in another thread, how about bus-style Stop buttons and announcements saying "The next station is Tinytown. Please press the Stop button now if you wish to leave the train there" ?

The Swiss do that (it is also connected to the door buttons, so if you press that on the move it requests a stop and opens that door when the train does stop). I would be unsurprised if ScotRail's forthcoming new rural fleet had such a feature, it is easy enough to do and avoids misunderstandings e.g. someone (who has paid) in the bog during a ticket check.

PTR 444

Established Member
How would it work for passengers boarding a train though? I don’t suppose many would be thrilled at the idea of sticking an arm out in front of a Class 150 hurtling at 50mph.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
How would it work for passengers boarding a train though? I don’t suppose many would be thrilled at the idea of sticking an arm out in front of a Class 150 hurtling at 50mph.

ScotRail are implementing stop buttons on platforms which will signal the train in advance. The Swiss have done this for years.

XAM2175

Established Member
We had a thread about it:

Lucan

Established Member
Isn't that what you need to do now? The trick is to withdraw your arm in time if the driver doesn't stop. Before anyone has a health and safety fit, I am reflecting the silliness of the OP's question. In practice I have simply waved to the approaching driver, and there is no need to be overhanging or even near the edge.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Isn't that what you need to do now? The trick is to withdraw your arm in time if the driver doesn't stop. Before anyone has a health and safety fit, I am reflecting the silliness of the OP's question. In practice I have simply waved to the approaching driver, and there is no need to be overhanging or even near the edge.

Exactly. There is no need to wave over the platform edge, just to give a clear signal so the driver sees it. They will be looking for it.

PTR 444

Established Member
I’m not familiar with request stops as I have never used any myself. Upon reading the linked thread on the Far North Line request stops, an arm gesture does work but only as long as the train is travelling at a low speed. 50mph would be too late for the train to stop in time (as well as the safety risk), hence the need to install buttons on the platforms signalling the driver to stop.

Esker-pades

Established Member
I’m not familiar with request stops as I have never used any myself. Upon reading the linked thread on the Far North Line request stops, an arm gesture does work but only as long as the train is travelling at a low speed. 50mph would be too late for the train to stop in time (as well as the safety risk), hence the need to install buttons on the platforms signalling the driver to stop.

For request stops, trains slow to 15-20 mph so that they can stop on signal. We're not going to start hand signals at linespeed.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Moderator note: Split from https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...f-only-if-no-one-has-a-ticket-to-them.236428/

Sheffield trams work like this. Their announcements are 'The next stop on request will be [station]' and this works quite well there. I think there is certainly potential on some lines and certainly at night. I'd put some money on stations like the Mid Cheshire Line. Some of the little stations have no one get on or off, especially at night. Make it on request, some small bits of recovery time in there at Knutsford and Northwich to keep the train at least a bit on time.

Stop bells would work though on the Heart of Wales, Cumbrian Coast and Cambrian Coast though where there is a lot of request stops. Save guards having to 'look for intent to alight' from passengers, this would hopefully free up a little bit of time for guards to be checking tickets and general customer service.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
ScotRail are implementing stop buttons on platforms which will signal the train in advance. The Swiss have done this for years.
The worry here would be if the button on the platform is defective- if the driver gets no stop signal would they not just pass at linespeed and therefore not be able to respond to a hand signal?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The worry here would be if the button on the platform is defective- if the driver gets no stop signal would they not just pass at linespeed and therefore not be able to respond to a hand signal?

I mentioned that on the other thread and supposedly it is failsafe, i.e. something like a light shows if they don't have to stop, though I suppose a fault on the button itself is possible.

MotCO

Established Member
What happens now when it's dark - can the driver see a would-be passenger waving from a platform?

py_megapixel

Established Member
What happens now when it's dark - can the driver see a would-be passenger waving from a platform?
The majority of them have lighting on the platform, and I assume a passenger trying to board would be expected to take the initiative to stand under a lamp post!
Of the unlit ones - bearing in mind that these are the going to be the smallest and least-used of them, how many of them actually have a service outside of daylight hours?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A passenger would probably wave their mobile phone screen or torch. That's what people do at unlit bus stops.

Are there any unlit stations with a passenger service during darkness? I thought some Looe line stations weren't served after dark for that reason. Yes, station lighting can fail but it hardly ever does.

On Moderation
Anyone would think this is some sort of revolutionary idea that had never been done before. Thing is, the Rhätische Bahn in Switzerland have had this for years: press a button at the station or if you're on the train there's a "Halt auf verlangen" button that signals to the driver you want to get off.

How hard can it be?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I mentioned that on the other thread and supposedly it is failsafe, i.e. something like a light shows if they don't have to stop, though I suppose a fault on the button itself is possible.
That's basically my concern, you're introducing a single point of failure that isn't easy to overcome. What could work is a failure mode that causes the signal to default to the stop position if the button is damaged, but that would require constant monitoring (not necessarily by a human, it could be computer controlled) to establish whether there's a fault or not. That introduces extra costs to fitting the system, and would be difficult to do somewhere as isolated as Altnabreac or Scotscalder.

How do the Swiss deal with this issue? I suppose destructive vandalism isn't as much of a problem there, and I doubt they have any stations as isolated as Altnabreac.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Anyone would think this is some sort of revolutionary idea that had never been done before. Thing is, the Rhätische Bahn in Switzerland have had this for years: press a button at the station or if you're on the train there's a "Halt auf verlangen" button that signals to the driver you want to get off.

How hard can it be?

For on board it definitely isn't hard - how long have buses had stop buttons? 50+ years?

Esker-pades

Established Member
A passenger would probably wave their mobile phone screen or torch. That's what people do at unlit bus stops.

Are there any unlit stations with a passenger service during darkness? I thought some Looe line stations weren't served after dark for that reason. Yes, station lighting can fail but it hardly ever does.

Lighting on the platform. If that doesn't work (as I've had), the train has headlights. I wouldn't wave a torch; risk of blinding.

NSE

Established Member
Yeah, I feel a phone torch would be fine. I’d probably wave it gently or make some other form of motion or something to make it clear I’m a person. My Apple Watch can flash (not blinding) to show I’m not a signal. That said, the drivers would be expecting/looking out for it. Drivers know their line well. I’m sure virtually all would err on the side of caution if they weren’t sure.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

Falls of Cruachan is one that is skipped after dark.

As others have said, I'd be a bit wary of shining my phone torch directly at a driver given how bright it is. Especially given how we're (rightly) told not to use a flash when taking photos. If I found myself in that situation, I'd probably use the torch to illuminate myself rather than pointing it at the front of the train.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Now you can get on to the platform a few seconds before the train arrives, the driver sees you and stops. If part of the reason for a button is to avoid slowing down, would you have to be there five or ten minutes early?

Would the timetable still have to allow for trains stopping at nearly all request halts? Perhaps the journey could be a bit shorter in winter when many request stops are not requested.

Status
Not open for further replies.