• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could Garforth's stations be combined?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halish Railway

Established Member
I was watching a Don Coffey cab ride earlier (Manchester Piccadilly to Hull) and a caption mentioned that there was a suggestion of combining the two Garforth stations.

Is this likely to happen at all?

For me this would be very beneficial as East Garforth station eats away capacity on a busy route. There have been suggestions upthread that some four-tracking may take place between Garforth and Neville Hill, with Cross Gates and Thorpe Park being served by trains on the slow lines, meaning that only Garforth and Micklefield will be the only stations on the two-track section used by trains coming from the Hull and York directions.

It would also make sense to put a relocated station on the brief bit of straight track of the S-bend through Garforth if the curve through the existing Garforth station would be re-canted to an angle too severe to have platforms on to enable a linespeed increase.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BantamMenace

I was watching a Don Coffey cab ride earlier (Manchester Piccadilly to Hull) and a caption mentioned that there was a suggestion of combining the two Garforth stations.

Is this likely to happen at all?

For me this would be very beneficial as East Garforth station eats away capacity on a busy route. There have been suggestions upthread that some four-tracking may take place between Garforth and Neville Hill, with Cross Gates and Thorpe Park being served by trains on the slow lines, meaning that only Garforth and Micklefield will be the only stations on the two-track section used by trains coming from the Hull and York directions.

It would also make sense to put a relocated station on the brief bit of straight track of the S-bend through Garforth if the curve through the existing Garforth station would be re-canted to an angle too severe to have platforms on to enable a linespeed increase.
I can't see the combination of Garforth's two stations happening whilst the local councilor is still in office. He's an independent who has done wonders for the town. We still have a police and fire station despite numerous attempts to close them, we have oodles of free parking leading to a thriving high street and our bus services are some of the best i've known. The only way I can see the closure of East Garforth would be if the trams eventually make it as far as the current sit of East Garforth and the bus turnaround there. That isn't going to be the case for 15 years or so no doubt.

YorksLad12

Established Member
I think combining the two stations was a forum suggestion! One of the better ones... just slide Garforth 250m eastwards. Access and car park on the west, and now; new pedestrian access off the road bridge to the east; and a new accessible bridge using the current platforms.

The other issue is Thorpe Park Station, between Cross Gates and Garforth. Close East Garforth, and you don't have to find a couple of extra minutes for an additional stop.

Pretty sure Mass Transit wasn't going to go out as far as (East) Garforth, but I haven't looked at that map for a while...

Neptune

Established Member
I think combining the two stations was a forum suggestion! One of the better ones... just slide Garforth 250m eastwards. Access and car park on the west, and now; new pedestrian access off the road bridge to the east; and a new accessible bridge using the current platforms.
No it was either NwR or Metro who suggested it and it is still being looked at as far as I know. What you suggest is exactly how it would be done.
The other issue is Thorpe Park Station, between Cross Gates and Garforth. Close East Garforth, and you don't have to find a couple of extra minutes for an additional stop.
The exact reason for closing both Garforth’s to make one.

mike57

Established Member
Possibly a sensible idea, keeping the stoppers from holding up the fast services on this route is a problem, and the more stops made by the stoppers the worse it gets. There is less than 3/4 mile between the two stations, which just feels too close and makes pathing even more difficult. So as others have said move it east, with the access off Bar Lane, and retain a walking route to Aberford Road. The car park could almost stay where it is. Also provide 4 tracks through the station, with two through tracks for fast trains through the middle, this would give a badly needed overtaking point for fast trains on this route, then restore 4 tracks through Crossgates as well and reliability would improve no end.

Will it happen? maybe one day, but currently any investment seems unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.