• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could the proposed Birmingham to Manchester high speed line be built to a lower top speed to save money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete_uk

Established Member
Would there be much saving if a chunk of the Birmingham to Manchester section was built to 150mph standards over the 200mph standards?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BayPaul

Established Member
No British train in passenger service will ever move at 200MPH during my lifetime and even 150mph seems unlikely to me
I must be imagining the 186mph trains running through Kent?

HS2 is planned to run at 205mph, and designed for more.

In answer to the OP's question, the general concensus on here is that the extra cost for high speed is minimal. I would imagine that the speed is already reduced for some of the awkward bits anyway in the plan, where there are worthwhile cost savings to be made.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Would there be much saving if a chunk of the Birmingham to Manchester section was built to 150mph standards over the 200mph standards?

In a word, no.

No British train in passenger service will ever move at 200MPH during my lifetime and even 150mph seems unlikely to me

Well that depends on your life expectancy. If you are expecting to live for more than the next 8-10 years, you’ll be wrong!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The section as far as Crewe now has powers to go ahead and contracts are being let. Changing that part would delay it by several years and probably end up costing more than it saves.

I don't know offhand what speed is proposed for Crewe to Manchester, but I'm pretty sure the curve south of the airport would limit speed even for a non-stop train, and this probably means the tunnel to Piccadilly has a lower design speed too.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Broadly speaking:

Crewe North to the Manchester Spur Junction design speed 400km/h
Manchester Spur Junction to Ardwick 230km/h, with a short stretch at 220 just west of the airport station.

From Ardwick to Piccadilly, the speed steps down 200 / 140 / 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.