• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could the TransPennine route be further improved by introducing a 4-track section between Manchester and Huddersfield?

lancastrian

A rather simple and possibly a naive question. I recently passed through HUddersfield going to and from York.

I noticed that as you approached the tunnels from Manchester, that there seemed to be space for the four tracking to be continued for about a mile west of the station through the tunnels.

I was wondering why this was not planned in the upgrade of the route. It seemed a good idea to separate the fast and slow lines before the tunnels, so that the services didn't get in each others way in the station.

I know it might cost more and that is the reason why it is not being done. But has anyone seriously considered this possibility?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Which station and which tunnels are you referring to?

The section from Huddersfield to Standedge tunnel (inclusive) was four track in the past, but when this was singled the remaining two tracks were realigned to increase speeds by taking the "racing line". The current plans under the Trans-Pennine Route Upgrade are for a third track on this section, with one becoming a bidirectional "passing lane". This is a compromise between capacity and speed, as the full four tracks would slow things down too much due to the required severity of curves and lack of space.

snowball

Established Member
I think he means the tunnels immediately to the Manchester side of Huddersfield.

Going west from Hudds, there's a long tunnel, then a short stretch of open air, then a short tunnel. Each tunnel has two bores.

The southern bore of the first (longer, eastern) tunnel has two tracks, the westbound main line and the single bidirectional track to/from Penistone, Barnsley and Sheffield.

I think the location of the eastern limit of the proposed 3-track section up the hill to Standedge is currently unknown.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I think he means the tunnels immediately to the Manchester side of Huddersfield.

Going west from Hudds, there's a long tunnel, then a short stretch of open air, then a short tunnel. Each tunnel has two bores.

The southern bore of the first (longer, eastern) tunnel has two tracks, the westbound main line and the single bidirectional track to/from Penistone, Barnsley and Sheffield.

I think the location of the eastern limit of the proposed 3-track section up the hill to Standedge is currently unknown.
Thanks, that makes sense.

That essentially puts a limit of three tracks for the "main line" unless you were to use the Sheffield track between Huddersfield station and Springwood junction which is where the Penistone line diverges between the two tunnels (Huddersfield and Gledholt tunnels respectively, heading towards Manchester). Using the Sheffield track for Manchester services (thus turning Springwood jct back into an actual junction) for a few hundred yards would cause more problems than it would solve, so three tracks (one alongside the Sheffield line, two in the current down bore) is the limit unless you get the tunnelling shield out.

Halish Railway

Established Member
I suppose the Calder Valley line acts as the slow lines between Heaton Lodge Jn and Manchester, being much more suited to freight given that they would not have to compete with any long distance express trains and the much more shallow gradients en route. Had both routes both been electrified I don't think there'd be any debate as to which route should be used by freight, and there's a perfectly strong case to electrify the Calder Valley line.

Bevan Price

Established Member
There were effectively 4 tracks between Stalybridge and Diggle -- the current line and the Micklehurst Loop (closed in the 1960s),.

Likewise between Spen Valley Junction and Farnley Junction, the "Leeds New" (LNWR Spen Valley line) effectively provided 4-track capacity - 2 tracks via Dewsbury (as now) and 2 tracks via Heckmondwike / Clecheaton / Birstall.

SuperNova

TRU is supposed to be the first phase of NPR. The new line that will diverge from Marsden to Manchester effectively is four tracking leaving the two track railway from Marsden station onwards towards stalybridge for fright and local services.