• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could we see a return to "Essential Travel Only"

Status
Not open for further replies.

james60059

MODERATORS, Feel free to move to a more relevant category if you deem necessary.

Seeing as a lot of us, me included, travel on trains as it's part of our hobby, do you think we could see a return to the Essential Travel Only which was very prevalent last year and early this year?. Could we even see the covid timetables return too?.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bertie the bus

Established Member
We could see lots of things or we could see nothing. It is probably best to just wait and see rather than speculate and get in a lather about things that might never happen.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I have to agree, no point getting worried about it yet. If it happens, and there's a chance of it of course, then it happens. There's also a chance that an enormous earthquake could happen somewhere in the world that sets off a deadly chain of events. I'm not worried about that, and I'm certainly not worried about an essential travel only thing again.

It does help, personally, that I don't travel on trains as often as I used to. Quite, even when there's been 802s that match my wants list in my area lately I haven't been out for them. A bike clean took priority yesterday, for example, and today I could have gone and scored an 802 out of Worcester this morning on that service which goes via Gloucester. However, attempting this month's Gran Fondo ride and having my booster jab took WAY higher priority!

What I'm saying it's a lot easier for me to be all 'meh' about an essential travel only thing again, I know a lot of people are not as lucky as me to have only a minor affliction to the railway

Established Member
It'll be a big hit to me, once again, if we return to a period of "Essential Travel Only" and pub closures.

Seeing as I have no more stations to tick off* then travelling for red pen action, both trains and 'Spoons are pretty much the main things I do. Certainly most of the lockdowns I was just sat at home drinking cans of lager and counting down the hours until I could go to work again. I don't want to ever have to face that again.

(Yes, I am aware Soham exists. Yes I have plans to deal with that!)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I should mention that I would miss the opportunity to use the railway for positioning onto/off bigger rides or for rides exploring further away places. My red pen doesn't come out too often now, and when it does it's often purely on impulse!

The question on my mind though is this:

Would it actually be a bad thing to go back to essential travel only?

If it helped make things better again, then I don't think that's a bad thing. Short term pain, long term gain after all.

You're probably all wondering what I'd do instead, on those days when the weather's too poor to go out for a good ride. Well, either get to the gym or get a load of studying done. My pile of things to study is getting huge!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The question on my mind though is this:

Would it actually be a bad thing to go back to essential travel only?

If it helped make things better again, then I don't think that's a bad thing. Short term pain, long term gain after all.

Yes.

I don't think it would help make anything better and I don't think it would be a good thing.

Class 33

Established Member
Bloody hope not! We really do NOT need that nonsense coming back all over again. It dragged on for months on end last year and earlier this year as it was. And even when it was finally scrapped, there were still some train and bus operators still insisting it was "Essential travel only" and putting out silly PA announcements about it on their trains and buses for months after!

dk1

Veteran Member
Hopefully not but if it does happen then so be it. We will cope I’m sure.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Unless we have news that there are going to be travel restrictions it’s not worth having a thread on it for people to get worked up over.
I’m sure you’ll all understand the reasons that this thread is now locked… ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.