• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could we see more pink readers when the contactless area is expanded with Project Oval?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaJaWa

Established Member
Are more pink readers needed when the contactless area is expanded with Project Oval?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Are more pink readers needed when the contactless area is expanded with Project Oval?
National Rail have pretty much refused to site pink readers at their stations, unless they are Overground or Elizabeth line, or shared with Underground.

Haywain

Veteran Member
National Rail have pretty much refused to site pink readers at their stations, unless they are Overground or Elizabeth line, or shared with Underground.
You mean Train Operating Companies or Network Rail? National Rail is nothing more than a name and can't be making decisions.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
You mean Train Operating Companies or Network Rail? National Rail is nothing more than a name and can't be making decisions.
National Rail is the public-facing name of the Rail Delivery Group (formally ATOC), and represents the TOCs as one

Haywain

Veteran Member
National Rail is the public-facing name of the Rail Delivery Group (formally ATOC), and represents the TOCs as one
I know. And RDG will not be making such decisions either unless the majority of affected members are of a similar view. RDG communicated for TOCs but doesn't make the decisions.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The obvious problem with a pink reader at Redhill is that you don't have to change trains there, in particular for the key route of Gatwick Airport to Reading or Guildford.

I guess to some extent the need for pink readers will depend on whether there are genuinely outer destinations where there is flexibility of route.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The obvious problem with a pink reader at Redhill is that you don't have to change trains there, in particular for the key route of Gatwick Airport to Reading or Guildford.

I guess to some extent the need for pink readers will depend on whether there are genuinely outer destinations where there is flexibility of route.
You could argue we passed that point a long time ago given the number of people who travel between Reading and Gatwick Airport using contactless on the direct train, where it's not actually permitted, but they're simply not checked onboard.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
You could argue we passed that point a long time ago given the number of people who travel between Reading and Gatwick Airport using contactless on the direct train, where it's not actually permitted, but they're simply not checked onboard.
Really? Are there a lot of people who do that?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I know. And RDG will not be making such decisions either unless the majority of affected members are of a similar view. RDG communicated for TOCs but doesn't make the decisions.
The comment was made in one of my FOI requests by TfL. They may have said NR TOCs, but the meaning was clear. RDG/ATOC own the fares decisions for the late adopting TOCs.

londonbridge

Established Member

I was thinking in terms of my often quoted journey to Tonbridge whenever I go down there for parkrun. If contactless becomes available then the system needs to know whether, from the Croydon area, I’ve gone via Redhill or gone up to London Bridge and out again. Usually I’ll use the former, but there was one week when Tonbridge had a late cancellation, asked for a ticket to Tunbridge Wells and the clerk was about to sell me a via Redhill ticket until I said that I needed the fast train via LB, as changing at Redhill and Tonbridge wouldn’t have got me to TW in time. (The merits of specifying which route you want when buying over the counter were discussed in another thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.