• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

court hearing for railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Sadly, although you may "only" have done this twice and have compelling evidence to support this "point", unfortunately the Railway is very black and white. You travelled without a valid ticket (twice) - end of. They will want to recover their losses which may be a fine imposed through the court as mentioned upthread

Start saving - otherwise it's a "difficult conversation" to mum and dad to borrow a few hundered pounds

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
This is not a situation I have personally had to deal with, but I think the following might be sensible:

1) Be honest with yourself and the court. If (despite what you have told us) there were more occasions than the two you have told us about, then it's best to own up to them. This is because the court will impose a heavier penalty if you deny something that is true: basically, if they think you are wasting their time, they will punish you for that.
2) Collect your evidence. This is not just any tickets that you still have. It could also be proof of when you bought the right ticket - even if you don't have the ticket any more. So if you have bought tickets using your credit or debit card, find the credit card/bank statement that shows how much you paid. If what you have told us is true, then you should be able to show that you paid the price for a return ticket for the whole journey that you made. If you can't do that, it would help (a little) if you could prove where the cash came from to buy tickets at the right price (did you get the money out through an ATM?) Also, try to show when you would be likely to be making the journey: you've told us that you are at college, so try and find paperwork to show when you were expected to be there.
3) Organise your evidence. You will not make friends if you turn up with a shoebox full of railway tickets. I think the ideal would be to prepare and print off a spreadsheet, going back as far as you have evidence, showing what journeys you made, when, and how you paid for your ticket. Label any tickets you still have so you know which day on your spreadsheet they are for. If there are gaps in the history, be prepared to be asked difficult questions about why you can't prove anything.
4) DaveNewcastle said something like this earlier in the thread, but I will repeat it: at least think about talking to a lawyer. That will cost money, but if you are getting confused over how things look, think how much worse it will be for the judge or the magistrates. If you do get a lawyer to represent you, they will want some warning, so get in touch with one sooner rather than later.
5) Be prepared to discuss the amount of a fine. That means having details of any income you have so bring a recent bank statement for all accounts that you have (don't forget savings accounts) and if you have any source of income, bring a payslip for any job you have, or details of how much you receive if you are on any sort of benefits.

Last edited:

FenMan

Established Member
Yes I don’t mind Them checking the CCTV cameras because I know what I have done and have already stated that

You are maintaining that you knowingly purchased an inappropriate ticket for your journey on only two occasions, using different ruses to avoid paying the correct fare.

And got caught both times.

Now maybe Revenue Protection got very lucky indeed, but you must put yourself in the position of the Railway Company, who will be very strongly suspecting they have uncovered a pattern of abuse. Only you know the truth.

Clip

Established Member
2) Collect your evidence. This is not just any tickets that you still have. It could also be proof of when you bought the right ticket - even if you don't have the ticket any more. So if you have bought tickets using your credit or debit card, find the credit card/bank statement that shows how much you paid. If what you have told us is true, then you should be able to show that you paid the price for a return ticket for the whole journey that you made. If you can't do that, it would help (a little) if you could prove where the cash came from to buy tickets at the right price (did you get the money out through an ATM?) Also, try to show when you would be likely to be making the journey: you've told us that you are at college, so try and find paperwork to show when you were expected to be there.

Buying something many times does not show that you missed it to travel yourself so I doubt this will have much sway. I mean what if the op and their friends but one ticket and share it? This happens with people who do college/uni school quite often so in my view this is no defence

randyrippley

Established Member
I think it was adjourned simply so that the magistrates can assess you as an individual, assess your truthfulness, and your ability to pay.
In which case they'll be looking for evidence of your earnings/income, expenses and outgoings. It may be worth you working this out beforehand, though you will be expected to fill in an assessment form (I'm surprised one hasn't already been sent as you've already pleaded guilty).
As to whether additional charges are brought, if they are you would be entitled to request another adjournment to allow time for a defence. They can't spring a charge on you at zero notice and insist on immediate prosecution.

Status
Not open for further replies.