• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covent Garden shut.

greyman42

Established Member
I was unable to travel from Covent Garden to Kings Cross on Friday 29 December at approx 1930 due to their being no access to the station. Is this a common occurrence?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STINT47

It happens at busy times. The station struggles to cope as it only has lifts leading to people backing up.

Years ago it was a quistation but with the development of tourist attractions in thecarea usage has grown. It really needs escalators bit hard to change it now and expensive.

Leicester Square is only a few minuets walk away if you need an alternative.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don’t think it was shut, just open for exit only.

In addition to over the Christmas period it is common for it to be busy on weekends and bank holidays during the summer months and during December. The station may also go exit only if there are any lift faults.

greyman42

Established Member

In addition to over the Christmas period it is common for it to be busy on weekends and bank holidays during the summer months and during December. The station may also go exit only if there are any lift faults.
Yes, I should of said it was exit only.

Titfield

Established Member
Yes when I was working in London in the 2000s for more than a decade virtually every friday night it was exit only. Used to walk to Leicester Square.

Meerkat

Established Member
If it’s lift only what is the point of exit only - surely the lifts have to go down anyway, does loading/unloading really slow them down enough to risk platforms not being able to clear?

Mawkie

If it’s lift only what is the point of exit only - surely the lifts have to go down anyway, does loading/unloading really slow them down enough to risk platforms not being able to clear?
At times the platforms are so busy that the crowds are still waiting for the lifts (from the previous train) when the next train arrives - occasionally impeding the ability of the subsequent trains to depart. Having people trying to access the platforms as well leads to dangerous overcrowding.

Russel

At times the platforms are so busy that the crowds are still waiting for the lifts (from the previous train) when the next train arrives - occasionally impeding the ability of the subsequent trains to depart. Having people trying to access the platforms as well leads to dangerous overcrowding.

The surface building is quite small as well, if I remember correctly.

pbin

Would there be a case for shutting the station and improving access to Holborn and Leicester Square (as they’re both also really busy)?

Mawkie

I think I read (on here) that one of the reasons the Pic can't increase the frequency on the line to the desired level (when the new trains arrive) is passenger congestion issues around Holborn. Certainly, at peak times, I'm still seeing crowds of passengers queuing to get off the platforms at both Holborn, and especially Leicester Sq.

So I would say there is an argument for improving access at both those stations, and keeping Covent Garden open too.

sprunt

Years ago it was a quistation but with the development of tourist attractions in thecarea usage has grown.

When you say years ago, how long do you mean? Covent Garden's been a busy tourist destination for decades hasn't it?

Enthusiast

Since the 80s yes, but before that it was so quiet it was once a potential candidate for closure.
Indeed. The market moved to Nine Elms in 1974 and the current Covent Garden attraction opened in 1980. I seem to recall that the Underground Station was closed on Sundays before 1980.

Wolfie

Established Member
It happens at busy times. The station struggles to cope as it only has lifts leading to people backing up.

Years ago it was a quistation but with the development of tourist attractions in thecarea usage has grown. It really needs escalators bit hard to change it now and expensive.

Leicester Square is only a few minuets walk away if you need an alternative.
Given how close both Leicester Square and Holborn are l seriously don't see the sort of expenditure necessary at Covent Garden to put escalators in ever happening.

The Camden Town "solution"....