• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coventry [COV] - Manchester [MAN]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMcFall

Hey all! I'm off to a Uni open day soon. Whats the best split some of you smart people can come up with? :) I don't really want to tie to an advance as I've got no idea of how much time I need, so don't want to rush or sit around.

I was thinking getting a West Midlands Day Ranger. That way I could use XC up until Stoke, or go Cov>Rugby>Crewe then get a Crewe>Manchester ticket.

What would be best?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Scrap Rugby, I wrongly assumed it'd have direct trains to Manchester.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The cheapest combination of tickets is likely to include over-distance tickets that take advantage of Routeing Guide anomalies, I recall some have been posted here previously that are valid via Coventry. Be warned though that once they are posted in the public domain, they may not last long.

I'm going to make some assumptions:
- That you hold a 16-25/Student Railcard
- That you are departing Coventry before 0900, but that it will be after 0930 by the time you reach Stafford:

Coventry-Stafford SOR £12.00
Stafford-Manchester SVR £12.20
Total £24.20

Saving £1.50 on the through fare.

Other "splits" may be cheaper, and the assumptions I've had to make may be incorrect.

A West Midlands Day Ranger isn't valid until 0900, so you won't get to Manchester until at least 1139, but if that isn't too late, then I'd go with that, and get another ticket from Stoke. However a further saving can be made if you change at Birmingham & Crewe, using the WMDR as far as Crewe, then a Virgin Only CDR from Crewe to Manchester, this will not arrive at Manchester until 1149, but if that's okay then it's only £6 from Crewe to Manchester. You would need to use Virgin back from Manchester to Crewe also.

ChrisMcFall

Don't have a railcard :( I was planning on the stoke route as it's direct from Coventry. Even without a Railcard it's 31.50 which is pretty reasonable. Would there be a peak leaving manchester?
Also, would Coventry ticket office sell me the Stoke>Manchester ticket, or would I need to buy on board my XC train?

I'm not sure if Coventry Booking Office would sell you the Stoke to Manchester ticket Chris but I think depending on the date of the university open day getting an advance ticket might be the cheapest option. If you purchased the ticket on the train you would be charged for an anytime ticket which is the most expensive ticket if travelling standard class. I do hope this helps.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Don't have a railcard :( I was planning on the stoke route as it's direct from Coventry. Even without a Railcard it's 31.50 which is pretty reasonable. Would there be a peak leaving manchester?
£31.50 is the cost of an Off Peak Return (SVR) from Coventry to Stoke, this is not valid from Manchester, I am guessing you are asking for the return restriction from Stoke? The restriction is :

OUTWARD & RETURN JOURNEYS
By any train except those
scheduled to depart before

Also, would Coventry ticket office sell me the Stoke>Manchester ticket, or would I need to buy on board my XC train?
The ticket office is obliged to sell any ticket you ask for. If there is a queue, then my advice is to buy the ticket to Stoke from a machine and ask the guard on departure from Coventry for the Stoke-Manchester ticket.

Stoke-Manchester is £12.90 for an Off Peak Day Return valid on Any Permitted route (Restriction: BX: Out/Rtn: Valid by any train except those timed to depart Mondays to Fridays before 0930 or between 1530 and 1815)

If you have a 16-25 Railcard then you could try doing an advance return with the railcard discount. If it helps.
For a return journey, you would need Advance singles. There is no such thing as an Advance return. I'm not sure why a Railcard would be needed or helpful for an Advance ticket? Also, the OP discounted Advance tickets as he needs flexibility.

First class

Established Member
How about:

(Fares NFM09)
Coventry - Birmingham £4.40 CDR
Tamworth-Stoke On Trent £11.00 OPR LM Only (valid via BHM?)
Stoke-Manchester £9.40 CDR VT Only

Total: £24.80

ChrisMcFall

Cheers guys. Theres a 9:27 leaving Coventry that will get me there in good time, but thats still peak.

Might just catch it from BHM when it'd be off peak and get a ticket to/from COV for a simple plan :)
How about:

(Fares NFM09)
Coventry - Birmingham £4.40 CDR
Tamworth-Stoke On Trent £11.00 OPR LM Only (valid via BHM?)
Stoke-Manchester £9.40 CDR VT Only

Total: £24.80

Cool! I'll look into that :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Cheers guys. Theres a 9:27 leaving Coventry that will get me there in good time, but thats still peak.
I wouldn't use the term "that's still peak", I would say "but that isn't valid on a Coventry to Stoke or Manchester ticket" as there is no such thing as a "peak" service, as such.

An Off Peak Return from Coventry to Stafford (£13.70) is valid "By any train except those timed to depart Mondays-Fridays before 0900" so that ticket is perfectly valid on the 0927 service.

Another option is a ticket to Wolverhampton, an Anytime Day Return is quite reasonably priced at £6.10, and you can get further tickets from there when the time is late enough for any Off Peak (Day) ticket to be valid.
Cool! I'll look into that :)
First Class' advice does open can of worms, the topic of LM-priced OPR tickets (which are Super Off Peak Returns) and break of journey has cropped up numerous times on this forum. I don't wish to open the can of worms again, but just be sure you're satisfied with it before you travel (and I certainly wouldn't ask for it as part of the combination listed at Coventry station).

ChrisMcFall

An Off Peak Return from Coventry to Stafford (£13.70) is valid "By any train except those timed to depart Mondays-Fridays before 0900" so that ticket is perfectly valid on the 0927 service.

Cool, had a quick look at that option too, worked out at £32something. Would I be restricted on what time I return at? Sorry if these are silly questions haha.

If you think you'll buy more than £84 of tickets in the next year including the Manchester trip, get one!

Yeah I need to get around to it, was meaning to get one when i went to the IOW on a rail ticket but didnt leave enough time to get it all sorted aha.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Wolverhampton - Stoke CDR £12.10
Stoke - Manchester VT only CDR £9.40
nDaytripper (Coventry - Wolverhampton) post 0930 - £5.50

That could work?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Cool, had a quick look at that option too, worked out at £32something. Would I be restricted on what time I return at?
On which ticket? I posted the Coventry - Stafford restriction, and to get from Stafford to Manchester you have various options but if you're asking for the restrictions on a Stafford to Manchester ticket they are as follows:

Off Peak Day Rtn (CDR) £18.50
Restriction : BX
OUTWARD/RETURN
timed to depart Mondays to
Fridays before 0930 or between
1530 and 1815

Off Peak Rtn (SVR) £18.90
OUTWARD & RETURN JOURNEYS
scheduled to depart before

This would be valid via Crewe or Stoke, if you are happy to go via Stoke and back via Stoke, it is cheaper to split additionally at Stoke.

Nym

Established Member
Out of intrest, what HE Institute in Manchester are you visiting?

Manchester (If so UMIST or Manchester Victoria)
MMU
RNCM

Or for those who don't know geography

Salford...

OwlMan

Established Member
There re several ways to reuce the cost of this journey depending upon the timing of the outward and return journeys. If you can advise what time you wish to arrive in Manchester and approimately what time you wish to return (some XC day return tickets are not available for evening return) I will be able to give further advice.

ChrisMcFall

Out of intrest, what HE Institute in Manchester are you visiting?

Manchester (If so UMIST or Manchester Victoria)
MMU
RNCM

Or for those who don't know geography

Salford...
MMU!
There re several ways to reuce the cost of this journey depending upon the timing of the outward and return journeys. If you can advise what time you wish to arrive in Manchester and approimately what time you wish to return (some XC day return tickets are not available for evening return) I will be able to give further advice.
I'd like to be in Manchester for 11:30, and leave around 3-4pm, possibly 5. It all depends on when talks are etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.