• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

island

Veteran Member
What happens if you suddenly find you have to pay £2k to quarantine but can't afford it??
You are advised to borrow from friends and family or take out a credit card or short term loan.

An instalment and waiver system is available but the criteria are very strict.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kristiang85

Established Member
All countries have been taken off the red list today.

Last minute flights to Cape Town for Christmas are £500...

nw1

Established Member
Actually it looks like the red list (or at least the hotel quarantine side of it - it’s not entirely clear) might be going away again soon, according to The Telegraph:

One piece of good news. Maybe Shapps is off my 'red list' of politicians I dislike now. ;)

brad465

Established Member

Yes this is in the Financial Times now as well. I also wonder if this will help reduce the risk of domestic restrictions being brought in beyond a certain point, as people could very easily escape abroad? Of course if that's the case the red list will just be brought back, but there'll be no logic behind either the red list and/or domestic restrictions so criticism will be voiced somewhere.

Dent

Yes this is in the Financial Times now as well. I also wonder if this will help reduce the risk of domestic restrictions being brought in beyond a certain point, as people could very easily escape abroad? Of course if that's the case the red list will just be brought back, but there'll be no logic behind either the red list and/or domestic restrictions so criticism will be voiced somewhere.

It was only a small list of specific countries anyway, so doubt it would make any difference in that way.

Cdd89

Established Member
Given the shortage in PCR testing capacity, why are we wasting it testing international arrivals?

Cdd89

Established Member
I’ve discovered that Klarity Health happily lets you use NHS LFTs for £9.95/test, and video supervised for £18. Cheapest I’ve found so far.

kristiang85

Established Member
I’ve discovered that Klarity Health happily lets you use NHS LFTs for £9.95/test, and video supervised for £18. Cheapest I’ve found so far.

That's.... both hilarious and utterly ridiculous.

nw1

Established Member
Given the shortage in PCR testing capacity, why are we wasting it testing international arrivals?
Because the Pi mutation might exist in France and Germany, and we need to pre-empt the possibility of it getting here. ;)

Richard Scott

Established Member
Because the Pi mutation might exist in France and Germany, and we need to pre-empt the possibility of it getting here. ;)
So what, it's been shown numerous times that any restrictions don't stop any variants.

KeithMcC

We are hopeful of getting away from all this by going to Portugal next week, so duly paid for our DIY lateral flow tests that arrived yesterday. Portugal have apparently now decided that DIY tests are not valid so need to book and pay for a supervised test. According to some Tripadvisor comments they are fining people who appear at the border with a self done test, although presumably they haven't told the airlines as otherwise they wouldn't have been allowed to board.
When is this madness going to stop?

Butts

Veteran Member
We are hopeful of getting away from all this by going to Portugal next week, so duly paid for our DIY lateral flow tests that arrived yesterday. Portugal have apparently now decided that DIY tests are not valid so need to book and pay for a supervised test. According to some Tripadvisor comments they are fining people who appear at the border with a self done test, although presumably they haven't told the airlines as otherwise they wouldn't have been allowed to board.
When is this madness going to stop?

I'm on my way to Turkey, luckily no inward testing required, but it's colder than the UK at the moment in Istanbul :'(

adc82140

Established Member
Seems like France will be reciprocating the UK with regards to testing, and require a PCR test on arrival. That's easier said than done, unless someone enterprising sets up a testing centre at the ferry port.

kristiang85

Established Member
I'm on my way to Turkey, luckily no inward testing required, but it's colder than the UK at the moment in Istanbul :'(

Istanbul gets freezing in the winter! Lovely city though. Not sure what your plans are, but head south to Antalya if you want some warmth - it is a beautiful part of the world to boot.

island

Veteran Member
Seems like France will be reciprocating the UK with regards to testing, and require a PCR test on arrival. That's easier said than done, unless someone enterprising sets up a testing centre at the ferry port.
Nearly every pharmacy in the country is equipped to do COVID tests and there is apparently a state-imposed price cap of €43.89 for a PCR.

kristiang85

Established Member
Nearly every pharmacy in the country is equipped to do COVID tests and there is apparently a state-imposed price cap of €43.89 for a PCR.

Yes, I had to get a PCR in France to travel a couple of months back - the testing system is very efficient, and even foreigners are subject to the price cap.

I organised mine through the Kaducee app https://covid.kaducee.com/#/

3rd rail land

You are advised to borrow from friends and family or take out a credit card or short term loan.

An instalment and waiver system is available but the criteria are very strict.
I'm amazed the government expects people to potentially put themselves into hardship if the need for a quarantine hotel was unexpected. If you know you need one then of course the traveler should be responsible for ensuring they can afford one.

If someone can not afford the fee for a quarantine hotel that wasn't required at the start of a foreign trip, perhaps because the rules suddenly changed, then taking out a loan doesn't solve the problem as the person doesn't have the funds to pay back the loan.

That said the government seem to make things up as they go along at times so maybe I shouldn't be so amazed at the advice given.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I'm amazed the government expects people to potentially put themselves into hardship if the need for a quarantine hotel was unexpected. If you know you need one then of course the traveler should be responsible for ensuring they can afford one.

If someone can not afford the fee for a quarantine hotel that wasn't required at the start of a foreign trip, perhaps because the rules suddenly changed, then taking out a loan doesn't solve the problem as the person doesn't have the funds to pay back the loan.

That said the government seem to make things up as they go along at times so maybe I shouldn't be so amazed at the advise given.
I do agree the quarantine hotel crap is deeply problematic. Are there any other scenarios where the state can detain you, and also make you pay for your detention?

adc82140

Established Member
Yes, I had to get a PCR in France to travel a couple of months back - the testing system is very efficient, and even foreigners are subject to the price cap.

I organised mine through the Kaducee app https://covid.kaducee.com/#/
Thanks for that. The pharmacy ones are LFT only. There do seem to be enty of PCR sites though. I'd aim to get tested in St Malo, so by the time I arrive at my house 7 hours later, and then a night's sleep, the result would likely be through.

But I'm not going till Easter, so fingers crossed it won't be necessary.

Butts

Veteran Member
Istanbul gets freezing in the winter! Lovely city though. Not sure what your plans are, but head south to Antalya if you want some warmth - it is a beautiful part of the world to boot.

I thought that was by the Syrian Border !!

Seriously was surprised it was quite nippy, just like being at home in Scotland.

KeithMcC

Thanks for that. The pharmacy ones are LFT only. There do seem to be enty of PCR sites though. I'd aim to get tested in St Malo, so by the time I arrive at my house 7 hours later, and then a night's sleep, the result would likely be through.

But I'm not going till Easter, so fingers crossed it won't be necessary.
At the current rate of progress panic, we won't be able to go anywhere at all again by Easter. I am certainly not booking any trips more than a few days ahead unless they are packages and therefore I have some security if they have to be cancelled.

Butts

Veteran Member
Arrived in Turkey okay - middle of the night thanks to the three hour time difference.

No Turkish PLF or Vaccination checks just a stamp in the Passport and off you go !!

adc82140

Established Member
Back to needing a compelling reason to go to France, plus quarantine. Macron has just killed off his ski industry, and I can't see Brittany Ferries lasting. This has nothing to do with Covid, and everything to do with fishing permits. Denmark has as many Omicron cases as we do.

chris11256

Back to needing a compelling reason to go to France, plus quarantine. Macron has just killed off his ski industry, and I can't see Brittany Ferries lasting. This has nothing to do with Covid, and everything to do with fishing permits. Denmark has as many Omicron cases as we do.
Yes but blocking travel from another EU member state is much more difficult to do. Give it a few weeks until france is equally overun with Omicron and they'll probably reconsider.

Mintona

Established Member
I'm going to Canada in 2 weeks time and still expect to go and return

Are you there now? How have you found it?

Think I’m going to cancel my trips to Canada/USA in March and Netherlands/Germany in September. Can’t be doing with all the uncertainty.

Further to my previous post, the purpose of my trip to Canada and the USA was to watch NHL ice hockey. Ontario yesterday announced that indoor sports venues will only be allowed to operate at 50% capacity for the foreseeable future, so we wouldn’t be allowed in. Although we are visiting Alberta rather than Ontario, it seems like a sign of things to come. So will be cancelling the trip probably today, sadly.

Jamiescott1

Are you there now? How have you found it?

Further to my previous post, the purpose of my trip to Canada and the USA was to watch NHL ice hockey. Ontario yesterday announced that indoor sports venues will only be allowed to operate at 50% capacity for the foreseeable future, so we wouldn’t be allowed in. Although we are visiting Alberta rather than Ontario, it seems like a sign of things to come. So will be cancelling the trip probably today, sadly.

I fly today. Ive been told that 100% of all arrivals are now being tested on arrival at the airport.
Will let you know

adc82140

Established Member
Yes but blocking travel from another EU member state is much more difficult to do. Give it a few weeks until france is equally overun with Omicron and they'll probably reconsider.
I can foresee a "no entry unless triple jabbed" policity coming. Unfortunately the French still seem to think that travel restrictions will keep Omicron out.

Status
Not open for further replies.