• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Here is the Government announcement of the removal of testing from 11.02.22, also changes for non vaccinated travellers too.

• From 4am on 11 February all testing requirements will be removed for eligible fully vaccinated arrivals, with only a Passenger Locator Form (PLF) now required.
  • Arrivals who are not recognised as fully vaccinated will only need to take a pre-departure test and a PCR test on or before day 2 after they arrive in the UK.
  • Children aged 12-15 in England will be able to prove their vaccination status or proof of prior infection via a digital NHS COVID Pass from 3 February for outbound travel.
  • Travel changes come in ahead of February half term, and follow the success of the booster programme.

In addition, no more 10-day quarantine for those who don't count as fully vaccinated.

In terms of Europe I had a quick look last week and think that was the case for the following:-

• Croatia
  • Malta
  • Finland
  • Luxembourg
  • Switzerland (just announced)
  • Spain (sort of)
I think with Spain there is no requirement to take a test before but you can be selected to take a test on arrival.

Sweden too if fully vaccinated

westv

Established Member
Greece currently requires a negative PCR test for entry but I hope that isn't the case come May!

VauxhallandI

Established Member
The problem is I am very reluctant to book anywhere as I don't trust any of these clowns not to flip back at the drop of a hat.

westv

Established Member
The problem is I am very reluctant to book anywhere as I don't trust any of these clowns not to flip back at the drop of a hat.
My wife has the same view. The only reason I booked back in October for May 22 was that I could cancel up until March 22 and "only" lose the deposit of £120.
After that the full balance is due so the option of moving it to next year might come into play.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I can't see myself booking a big summer holiday as the prices seem to have shot up, and I can't really blame the industry for trying to recover some money when they're now having everyone wanting to book something - and likely not haggling or waiting for a better deal.

It seems that overnight, it has become a seller's market.

A60stock

In terms of Europe I had a quick look last week and think that was the case for the following:-

• Croatia
  • Malta
  • Finland
  • Luxembourg
  • Switzerland (just announced)
  • Spain (sort of)
I think with Spain there is no requirement to take a test before but you can be selected to take a test on arrival.
I am pretty sure Spain has an outright ban for unvaccinated travellers?

1D54

Just booked a flight to Germany and it looks to be okay again for vaccinated travellers but unsure as yet what the procedure is on locator forms on arrival.

Berliner

Just booked a flight to Germany and it looks to be okay again for vaccinated travellers but unsure as yet what the procedure is on locator forms on arrival.

if I remember correctly (from August 2021), the German form wasn't very intrusive, but they definitely checked to see you had completed it at check-in (Ryanair) and at passport control in Berlin.

1D54

Yes Berliner. I visited in October and had printed off and filled in the locator form but Ryanair refused it so i had to sit there and do the digital version before boarding. No problems at BER and was told the paper version would have been acceptable.

Butts

Veteran Member
Yes Berliner. I visited in October and had printed off and filled in the locator form but Ryanair refused it so i had to sit there and do the digital version before boarding. No problems at BER and was told the paper version would have been acceptable.

I also visited around that time travelling on BA and they had no aversion to the "Paper Plf" and nor did the German Officials on arrival.

Cdd89

Established Member
The Netherlands are dropping quarantine again, but only for those who have had a Booster dose:

People travelling to the Netherlands from very high-risk countries will no longer have to quarantine from February 2 if they have had their coronavirus booster vaccine.
The rules apply to travellers from countries including the USA, Canada, Australia and Britain, provided they received their booster at least seven days before travelling.

TFN

The Netherlands are dropping quarantine again, but only for those who have had a Booster dose:

Booked for end of Feb. Fingers crossed

Cdd89

Established Member
An LFT 24 hours before is a small price to pay I guess. Randox here I come…
“Self tests” are not allowed.

You’d probably get away with a cheap Randox certifly (or Klarity) - in fact I’ve used it before for travel to NL - but it’s a small risk and Stena Line have been difficult about it. To be totally sure you’d need more expensive in-person test.

kevin_roche

Now I need Belgium to drop their stupid arrival rules...
I am hoping to drive to the Netherlands at some point which means driving through France and Belgium. Maybe I should go on the train but I want to take a my photography gear with me and its so much easier to do that in the car.

kristiang85

Established Member
I am hoping to drive to the Netherlands at some point which means driving through France and Belgium. Maybe I should go on the train but I want to take a my photography gear with me and its so much easier to do that in the car.

If you're in Belgium for less than 48 hours you are exempt from arrival quarantine and testing, I believe.

Cdd89

Established Member
As an unlikely addition, Morrison is proposing to reopen the Australian border to tourists “before Easter”:

We're just watching how Omicron is sort of washing over the eastern states at the moment, but with Omicron peaking, then that starts opening up opportunities," the prime minister said.

"As those arrangements relax for fully vaccinated arrivals, then you're going to see people coming back, and with that in place, then international visitors being able to return becomes very possible.

Definitely high up on my list of destinations to visit (I’m not one for bearing grudges!).

kevin_roche

As an unlikely addition, Morrison is proposing to reopen the Australian border to tourists “before Easter”:

Definitely high up on my list of destinations to visit (I’m not one for bearing grudges!).
A friend of mine is in the process of moving to Perth in Western Australia and is currently stuck in Melbourne. Their fight to Perth was cancelled so they flew to Melbourne instead, just after Christmas. They are hoping that the WA government makes an announcement that opens the border tomorrow.

kristiang85

Established Member
Again, more proof travel measures are pointless (beyond banning travel altogether, which is obviously harmful):

The Daily Sceptic reported recently on the plight of Kiribati, a remote island nation in the Pacific Ocean with a population of around 122,000, which until two weeks ago had avoided having any cases of COVID-19 at all, but following an outbreak has now imposed its first lockdown. What we didn’t know then is the detail of the extremely strict protocols the virus circumvented.

Not only were all 54 passengers on the flight fully vaccinated, masked, and tested negative for Covid three times in nearby Fiji before arrival, they had also been in pre-departure quarantine for two weeks before the flight, and were put in quarantine with additional testing when they arrived.

Despite this, two-thirds of the passengers (36 of 54) tested positive for Covid after arriving from Fiji on January 15th.
This has led to the island’s first outbreak, which as of January 31st consists of 460 reported infections (and no deaths) and, despite the lockdown, is growing fast.

joncombe

We can now add Denmark to the list of countries you can visit without any testing or quarantine if you are fully vaccinated. They are also dropping virtually all domestic restrictions. (I think masks are still required in healthcare environments but that is about it).

VauxhallandI

Established Member
We can now add Denmark to the list of countries you can visit without any testing or quarantine if you are fully vaccinated. They are also dropping virtually all domestic restrictions. (I think masks are still required in healthcare environments but that is about it).
Great news. Maybe they will be my first trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.