• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
I just had an email from Wizz saying to wear masks on my flight to Mallorca tomorrow. Hopefully compliance will be low... (And if not I hope the drinks trolley is fully stocked.

And, guess what, then I'm in Germany next weekend! (I do choose well)
Nobody was wearing a mask on our Jet2 flights to and from Reus airport on the mainland last week.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Smidster

I was in Austria last month and saw virtually no sign of mask wearing, except in Vienna itself but I was only changing trains at the main stations. Hardly anyone was wearing a mask on the trains to/from Vienna.

I have also got back from Portugal and hardly anyone is wearing a mask there; back when mask wearing was required compliance was 100%, albeit most people wearing completely ineffectiveness flimsy masks just for show.

Which European countries are on the avoid list now? Germany, Spain, soon to be Austria; any more...?

And Germany likely to introduce more restrictions in the coming weeks as the Health Minister has called for extensions to mask requirements in enclosed public spaces.

All very odd

island

Veteran Member
Nobody was wearing a mask on our Jet2 flights to and from Reus airport on the mainland last week.
Jet2 appears to have taken the view that UK law applies on their planes whilst the doors are closed, and on that basis does not require masks to worn on any of its flights, regardless of the destination.

That would make me more likely to fly with them than a competitor, all else being equal.

Richard Scott

Established Member
And Germany likely to introduce more restrictions in the coming weeks as the Health Minister has called for extensions to mask requirements in enclosed public spaces.

All very odd
What is wrong with the politicians in Germany? Almost every other country has no restrictions, absolutely bonkers.

DanNCL

Established Member
I was in Austria last month and saw virtually no sign of mask wearing, except in Vienna itself but I was only changing trains at the main stations. Hardly anyone was wearing a mask on the trains to/from Vienna.
I was in Austria last week and noticed much the same. Even in Vienna masks were mostly only being worn on Wiener Linien and Wiener Lokalbahn services, very few were wearing them on the S Bahn and nobody at all really in shops or museums. At Wien Hbf people were putting their masks on at the boundary between U Bahn and S Bahn stations, and promptly taking them off there when heading the other way! In Graz the only people I saw wearing masks were a few elderly people.

All very odd
Was in Germany last week and they insist on FFP2 masks on all trains.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Did notice various mask-related signage still stuck to TER trains in France, mostly on the doors. There was also what appeared to be a doctors surgery in Vitry en Francois absolutely plastered in A4 sheets of paper demanding masks - not far off what others have reported in the UK even after restrictions were lifted.

My Belgian train is devoid of Covid signage, though barely anybody was paying attention back in March when masks were actually required, so I'm hardly surprised.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Bulgaria where I'll be in a couple of weeks doesn't seem to have many mandates on masks anymore which is good - it seems to be adopting a "live with COVID" policy too.

Did notice various mask-related signage still stuck to TER trains in France, mostly on the doors. There was also what appeared to be a doctors surgery in Vitry en Francois absolutely plastered in A4 sheets of paper demanding masks - not far off what others have reported in the UK even after restrictions were lifted.

My Belgian train is devoid of Covid signage, though barely anybody was paying attention back in March when masks were actually required, so I'm hardly surprised.
Was in France last week too. No signs of any mask policy or wearing either. Perhsos in a health care setting but not on trains or buses.

MikeWM

Established Member
The USA increasingly looking like an unscientific outlier here now.

Though perhaps that's not surprising, given they've just added the covid vaccine to their recommended schedule of childhood vaccinations, which is a truly appalling and incredible decision (if sadly not shocking, as little shocks me anymore).

nedchester

Established Member
The USA increasingly looking like an unscientific outlier here now.

Though perhaps that's not surprising, given they've just added the covid vaccine to their recommended schedule of childhood vaccinations, which is a truly appalling and incredible decision (if sadly not shocking, as little shocks me anymore).
When I went to the USA two weeks after compulsory pre-flight testing ended I expected lots of checks regarding my vaccination status.

Never had my vaccination status checked at the border or anywhere else.

Although I did catch Covid over there!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When I went to the USA two weeks after compulsory pre-flight testing ended I expected lots of checks regarding my vaccination status.

I’m flying with BA to America tommorrow and they’ve made me upload proof of vaccination, recovery, or exemption, before check in.

nedchester

Established Member
I’m flying with BA to America tommorrow and they’ve made me upload proof of vaccination, recovery, or exemption, before check in.
Wow! Nothing like that with Virgin Atlantic. I think it was just a tick box to say you were vaccinated.

Eyersey468

Established Member
What about masks, any sign of those going on public transport?
Not that I have seen, though I was on a train to Barcelona on Wednesday and compliance was very low and none of the staff were challenging anyone either. Compliance is still high on the buses though.

Spanish government bulletin confirms that entry requirements of proof of vaccine, negative test, or recovery, will be scrapped as of midnight tonight.

[link is in Spanish so will not be copying and pasting]
Nobody cared when we came to Spain last Saturday, the girl at the desk just sat there doing her nails as we walked past.

Bikeman78

Established Member

Although I did catch Covid over there!
Which proves how futile all the theatre is. Getting home would have been tricky in the test before you travel era.

Enthusiast

Masks remain - as you were, despite the ending of travel restrictions.
Just back from a break in Lanzarote. No real signs of any restrictions whatsoever (apart from the odd peeling notice about "keeping your distance" here and there). No Covid certification asked for on arrival (I know it was formally ended today). The only people wearing masks seemed to be taxi drivers. Masks are still compulsory on public transport but we saw a few buses with little or no compliance. Taxi drivers seemed to wear them religiously throughout though few passengers did. Speaking to a local restaurant owner he said that inspectors from the local council (or whatever they have there) had been having a pop at the cabbies for non-compliance and one or two had their licences suspended. An interesting conversation arose in Spanglish when I mentioned that we have "jobsworths" working for our local authorities who undertake similar vital work. I think I managed to explain what the term meant! :D

nedchester

Established Member
Which proves how futile all the theatre is. Getting home would have been tricky in the test before you travel era.

Yep. Three of us had it but as the U.K. was restriction free it was a case of just boarding the plane and trying to suppress a cough!

Howardh

Established Member
Yep. Three of us had it but as the U.K. was restriction free it was a case of just boarding the plane and trying to suppress a cough!
When I had covid abroad, I was worried about my 10hr+ travel back home, not so much the coughing but just feeling unwell and exhausted. However as it turned out, it was one of my better days and I hardly felt ill at all and there were no symptoms on show to make me look ill!

Berliner

I'm in Germany. They have no entry requirements anymore. The only place where FFP2 masks are mandatory is on public transport. Not in stations. Just specifically onboard. There seems to be very high compliance, indeed I've only seen a handful of people not wearing them on the dozens of trains and trams I've been on. The ticket inspectors do ask if people don't have them on but they don't appear to care if is FFP2 or not, although most appear to wear FFP2.

Very few signs remaining about social distancing and barely any covid test centres around anymore.

Just to add. There was no requirement to wear a mask on the flight over here or in the airports/shops/bars either.

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I just had an email from Wizz saying to wear masks on my flight to Mallorca tomorrow. Hopefully compliance will be low... (And if not I hope the drinks trolley is fully stocked.

And, guess what, then I'm in Germany next weekend! (I do choose well)
Did Wizz make you wear a mask to Mallorca?

Status
Not open for further replies.