• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions causing record levels of self harming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyersey468

Established Member
I completely understand where you’re coming from, in the years before Covid, from around 2016/17 the conversation regarding de-stigmatising mental health issues was finally being spoken about, and since Covid we’ve seen a massive step back in regards to mental health, and I too am also disappointed in many on this forum who completely disregard mental health issues, it’s like only Covid matter, they can’t let anyone die of Covid but people who commit suicide in lockdown should get a grip is the attitude I get from most people, it’s very sad
I agree it is very sad, as I have said before it has always annoyed me that only Covid seems to matter, never mind those condemned to death through other treatments not being carried out, the damage to people's mental health, job losses, the fact that without a functioning economy there won't be the NHS etc etc

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bikeman78

Established Member
So what happened, therefore, was that a treatment that might put them at risk of a premature end if they caught Covid was stopped, so that their cancer, which would certainly shorten their life could run riot.
That's how I read it. Absolutely incredible.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well, don’t blame COVID and lockdowns then when it’s clearly a multi-faceted issue.
Keep burying your head in the sand if you want.

Covid restrictions & lockdowns have directly had an extremely negative effect on the lives of many young people, to varying degrees.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
Anyone who denies that lockdown hasn’t created a mental health crisis is labouring under a false illusion, a few years ago the conversation around mental health was being brought into the public forum with a huge campaign behind it and that has fallen by the wayside.

It’s utterly disgraceful that people who advocate for further lockdowns ignore that mental health issues have increased, child and domestic abuse increased over lockdown with victims trapped with their abusers, alcoholism rose etc, these things can be caused by other factors we know but lockdown has most definitely played a part

Yew

Established Member
Those who called for and implemented punitive restrictions on young people (which were never for their benefit) need to apologise and admit they were wrong.
I'm reminded of a cartoon by David Firth, of "Salad Fingers" fame, where the young sell years of their life, for the old and wealthy to buy. However it seems like in reality, we're not even being paid for it...

Anyone who denies that lockdown hasn’t created a mental health crisis is labouring under a false illusion, a few years ago the conversation around mental health was being brought into the public forum with a huge campaign behind it and that has fallen by the wayside.

It’s utterly disgraceful that people who advocate for further lockdowns ignore that mental health issues have increased, child and domestic abuse increased over lockdown with victims trapped with their abusers, alcoholism rose etc, these things can be caused by other factors we know but lockdown has most definitely played a part
My understanding is that there is a legal parity of mental and physical health. Policies that intentionally harm mental health should be considered as if they were state-mandated bodily harm.

Bayum

Established Member
Keep burying your head in the sand if you want.

Covid restrictions & lockdowns have directly had an extremely negative effect on the lives of many young people, to varying degrees.
I’ll repeat; I’m not saying they haven’t. I’m saying this isn’t solely due to COVID and the lockdowns. The fault is squarely at the door of the government for successive reductions of funding. Had we had a better net to begin with, we could have had more resources in place for this fall. Covid has, unfortunately, just shown yet again that the entirety of the country and its paediatric mental health is put last.

farleigh

I’ll repeat; I’m not saying they haven’t. I’m saying this isn’t solely due to COVID and the lockdowns. The fault is squarely at the door of the government for successive reductions of funding. Had we had a better net to begin with, we could have had more resources in place for this fall. Covid has, unfortunately, just shown yet again that the entirety of the country and its paediatric mental health is put last.
Yes but they still would have been unable to see any counsellors surely

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I’ll repeat; I’m not saying they haven’t. I’m saying this isn’t solely due to COVID and the lockdowns. The fault is squarely at the door of the government for successive reductions of funding.
I refer you to my previous posts.

Had we had a better net to begin with, we could have had more resources in place for this fall.
I reject the idea that we should have had thousands of people all trained up and ready to support young people in preparation for the effects of such restrictions.

Also you again miss the point; the harms caused by the restrictions cannot simply be made to go away by inventing money to throw at the problem by giving them appointments.

The point is the harms caused by the restrictions should not have been created in the first place.

Covid has, unfortunately, just shown yet again that the entirety of the country and its paediatric mental health is put last.
Mental health has come last in the pandemic response because people have called for restrictions which have been devastating for mental health, justified on the basis that the restrictions are ostensibly for the benefit of avoiding the NHS being overwhelmed at that moment in time.

It's been a completely flawed argument and if you can now see how flawed that argument was, that is some progress at least.

Eyersey468

Established Member
I refer you to my previous posts.

I reject the idea that we should have had thousands of people all trained up and ready to support young people in preparation for the effects of such restrictions.

Also you again miss the point; the harms caused by the restrictions cannot simply be made to go away by inventing money to throw at the problem by giving them appointments.

The point is the harms caused by the restrictions should not have been created in the first place.

Mental health has come last in the pandemic response because people have called for restrictions which have been devastating for mental health, justified on the basis that the restrictions are ostensibly for the benefit of avoiding the NHS being overwhelmed at that moment in time.

It's been a completely flawed argument and if you can now see how flawed that argument was, that is some progress at least.
All they have achieved is to kick the can down the road, there is now a huge backlog of other treatments etc to carry out at a time when the NHS claims to struggle anyway.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I expect (hope) that Covid is the worst national/world crisis that I will ever see in my life. The consequence was always going to be bad however we dealt with it. I seem to recall it being said that it has cost, in financial terms, as much as the first or second world wars.

I do feel for people who have suffered from mental health issues and I do believe lockdowns have made things even worse for them. Covid has not just exacerbated mental Health problems due to lockdowns but also due to lost business/employment, loss of medical support, fear of illness, loss of friends/relatives and even the stress of being told what to do. It has been bad enough for me so far but I just tell myself that we would not be having these lockdowns if Covid was not such a big risk to life. Having been the illest I have ever been with Covid and my GF still having long Covid over 11 months later I take Covid risks very seriously. I have had to help some one keep going who lost her son (suicide before Covid) as we approach Christmas and then lost three people she knows to Covid. For those with mental health problems, loneliness or disability there is a greater need for support during lockdowns. For those people it is at the very least a bad experience to endure and a lot harder to just cling to the hope that lockdowns are a bearable necessity with an end in sight.

Lockdowns by their very nature must be contentious. I feel most people fall into four categories.
1) People who think the lockdowns should be more severe.
2) People who feel lockdowns were necessary and adhered to them.
3) People who went along with lockdowns but had no intention of adhering to them.
4) People who feel that lockdowns are too severe / unnecessary (could spit in to adherant / non-adherants).
For someone with a mental illness they might fit any of those four categories. What is at question perhaps is how the reality of lockdowns affects them (and others with no previous mental health issues) regardless of their initial opinion on lockdowns.

I do think there should have been more exceptions to lockdowns for people who needed to get out and/or be supported by others. Whould it have been easy to implememnt though ?. That is not just for people with a pre-existing mental health condition but those who ended up suffering maybe just due to mobility but also psychological. There must be many old people who still feel quite cut off - I am kind of glad my mother passed away in Jan 2020 as she missed the worst of it and I know she needed my visits quite badly.

Many people have been in denial about mental health including those suffering and a few years ago that was beginning to be overcome. Then Covid came along. We cannot deny that Covid has been a serious health problem and we are not over it yet. But then the question is how many lives were saved by lockckdowns AND how many lives were lost due to lockdowns ?. Lockdowns were an attempt to keep hospitals functioning and also stop people who could be helped over Covid from dying due to lack of relevant care resources but was it worth it - personally I think it could have been anarchy.

Perhaps one good thing that will come out of Covid is a better appreciation of mental health as a health issue - lockdowns might actually be the proof that everyone was beginning to be receptive to.

By protecting the NHS there was more chance that normal NHS services could continue as normal for Cancer treatments and mental health for example. But it seems the NHS was still overloaded - rather than totally overrun.

I can only assume that the government will only resort to lockdowns again if things get really bad again after Christmas. I suspect they are avoiding a pre Christmass lockdown but I am crossing my fingers for the rest of winter. After all lockdowns are doing huge financial damage to the country so even if those in charge ignore mental health it has got to be unlikely just on financial grounds !.

My only wish is that we had opened up earlier this year. That would have taken financial and mental pressure off earlier and given everyone a long overdue break. Even if that meant the risk of an earlier return to lockdown I would have preferred a more useful spring when being indoors but with windows open for more ventilation was an easier option.

A friend of mine had cancer and the treatment continued - it was a surgical removal and Chemo therapy. He was very aware of the need to isolate more than others due to the downgrading of his immune response. He says he was lucky that his procedure went ahead as it turns out the hospital were quite soon after cancelling everything in a bid to cope with the influx of Covid patients.

Nobody can deny how busy the NHS had become due to Covid. My GF works at a private hospital and they have never been so busy. They were apparently taking a lot of work from the NHS to free up resources in the NHS. Mostly outpatient stuff as I understand it but they also do operations that keep people in for only a few nights at her hospital. I also remember that Covid patients were being taken to Bristol from Croydon University Hospital so I can believe things were pretty dire.

As for the future. I hope this winter will be the last big push (if needed). We should be heading towards manageable admissions to the NHS for Covid after winter. My hope, based on a basic understanding of viruses, is that things will get better because more people have got used to Covid so are not getting it so badly - that is through vaccination and actually having caught it before (like me). Covid will not go away but humans will get used to it and it will kill about as many people as the Flu does every year. If the common cold or Flu (not just a new variant) had just come into existence now we would have seen the same level of hospital admissions and deaths. I only hope lockdowns have been worth it to reduce the intial and unmanageable tidal wave.

I think once this is all over things will have changed. There will be more home working and ordering online. But that will make many continue to be isolated and feel more lonely, others will be fed up being in a crowded house but others will gladly miss the commute. I think mental health issues will gain more acceptance as they were beginning to. But perhaps many of us will just be glad to be alive.

Last edited:

Yew

Established Member
Indeed, it's time we reversed austerity, and gave local NHS managers the authority to improve facilities, processes and equipment.

Bayum

Established Member

You’re either purposely manipulating what I’ve said or are being purposely pedantic. If CAMHS and young people’s mental health had adequate funding in place well before COVID, we’d not have the lack of services we do now. Having that infrastructure in place to cope with the already overworked system that was coming at apart at the seams would have meant that we could better support young people through these lockdowns. As it is, we still have the patients waiting for assessment and treatment and unable to process and decide on treatment for those who have had their mental health worsen/begin to present problems through the lockdowns.

If we don’t put money towards it, what do you think should happen? How, pray tell, are we going to support the backlog of patients awaiting assessment/treatment with CAMHS and the patients who have had their mental health worsen/begin to cause issues during lockdown? Having no further lockdowns will not improve their mental health. It’s a slippery slope. We need assessment and treatment in place. End of.

Yes but they still would have been unable to see any counsellors surely
Video/telephone counselling?

All they have achieved is to kick the can down the road, there is now a huge backlog of other treatments etc to carry out at a time when the NHS claims to struggle anyway.
Precisely. The strain of the NHS was already greater than it could handle well before COVID came along.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You’re either purposely manipulating what I’ve said or are being purposely pedantic. If CAMHS and young people’s mental health had adequate funding in place well before COVID, we’d not have the lack of services we do now.

Having that infrastructure in place to cope with the already overworked system that was coming at apart at the seams would have meant that we could better support young people through these lockdowns. As it is, we still have the patients waiting for assessment and treatment and unable to process and decide on treatment for those who have had their mental health worsen/begin to present problems through the lockdowns.

If we don’t put money towards it, what do you think should happen? How, pray tell, are we going to support the backlog of patients awaiting assessment/treatment with CAMHS and the patients who have had their mental health worsen/begin to cause issues during lockdown? Having no further lockdowns will not improve their mental health. It’s a slippery slope. We need assessment and treatment in place. End of.

Video/telephone counselling?
No, it is you who is trying to change the subject away from the harms that lockdowns and other restrictions have caused. You are trying to change the subject and detract from the important point being made.

I will also point out that not only did restrictions create a tsunami of issues, but it also exacerbated backlogs as appointments were missed during lockdowns. But my point really is that the restrictions created a lot of issues that were not previously there.

The scale of the problems created by lockdowns is absolutely huge and the idea that we could have had an army of people just waiting to make appointments to magically make those harms go away is a completely fanciful attempt to detract from this important issue.

My key point is that we need to learn from these mistakes and not close schools, not deny young people activities, not deny people the opportunity to form friendships, not deny them all fun aspects of being at school, not deny them all extracurricular activities. What happened between March 2020 and (at least) the Summer of 2021 (and may still be happening at some schools) must never be repeated.

Bayum

Established Member
No, it is you who is trying to change the subject away from the harms that lockdowns and other restrictions have caused. You are trying to change the subject and detract from the important point being made.
And my point is if we had the infrastructure in place to support these children and young people with their mental health services, we would be able to support them rather than letting situations get to the point in the article.

Dent

And my point is if we had the infrastructure in place to support these children and young people with their mental health services, we would be able to support them rather than letting situations get to the point in the article.
You're still detracting from the point, the damage done by these restrictions. The support infrastructure is not the real issue, the fact that the damage is being done in the first place is.

Bayum

Established Member
You're still detracting from the point, the damage done by these restrictions. The support infrastructure is not the real issue, the fact that the damage is being done in the first place is.
So we worry about the impact but not the support in place? Right.

Dent

So we worry about the impact but not the support in place? Right.
The root of the issue is that the damage is being done in the first place, the support is secondary and wouldn't be an issue of there was no damage being done in the first place.

35B

Established Member
Where do you get all these counsellors from? Who trains them? Who pays for it (presumably the suggestion is we just invent money leading to hyperinflation)?

During the lockdowns, people who were in a position to help young people in poor mental health were often not able to see anyone to seek help; people were actively denied help.

The bubble system caused huge problems; entire year groups were denied all fun activities at school for a whole year. Students were denied the opportunity to easily make friends at their new schools. Students were denied the ability to make or maintain any friendships with anyone not in their bubble.

Every student, including those who had no mental health concerns at all, has been affected in some way. Some much more than others. You can't simply undo this by printing a load of money to pay for counselling.

The restrictions were wrong. I can forgive people for closing the schools initially (even though that was wrong) due to the unknown factor but keeping them closed so long was wrong. Closing them in 2021 was wrong. The bubble system and bans on extra-curricular clubs and other restrictions was wrong. The damage caused cannot simply be waved away by inventing money and creating more debt.

Yes the system should be better funded but the problems should not have been allowed to become so acute in the first place and those who called for, supported and implemented such restrictions need to stop making excuses, stop deflecting from the real issues, and admit they were wrong. I would have a lot of respect for someone who admits they were wrong and learns from it.
I recognise some of that from my personal experience, but by no means all. In particular, I notice that my kids were able to both maintain and make friendships under bubble conditions, and not just within a school; they were not as bleak as is being portrayed here. I also know of work with vulnerable families that has been maintained.

Covid restrictions are undoubtedly a factor, but how schools etc. have coped has to do with a lot more than just what the restrictions were.

35B

Established Member
As someone who's mental health has been quite severely affected by the pandemic, I am quite upset that there are a number of users on here who are either willing to dismiss the idea that restrictions have caused what I view as a mental health epidemic or are putting down serious mental health problems such as depression and anxiety as 'trivial', 'unimportant' or 'less severe than covid'.

The main difficulty for me has been the uncertainty combined with the inevitability of the few enjoyable things in life getting ripped away from me again at short notice for a reason I completely disagree with just to appease a population who has been terrified into compliance and consistently scare mongered by a disgracefully alarmist media.

At the beginning of this year, I felt somewhat hopeful. I felt that the vaccines were the way out of this, and that life would be back to normal by summer, with legal restrictions a chapter we could firmly put in our past. Now, I feel as if I have wasted my time getting the vaccines (yes I know they were effective, but I feel lied to), I feel as if lockdown is indeed on the cards once again (I've heard a few people saying that, after Christmas, they fully expect a return to a business closure and/or stay at home order).

I feel quite comfortable posting this on here as I think it's important for people to realise the impact these restrictions have. Towards the end of the summer/into autumn, I developed a moderate form of depression, which I partly put down to Scotland's insistence on maintaining nonsensical restrictions for the sake of political merit. Admittedly, before Omicron, I was improving, but this has absolutely reversed that. The main thing I get really worried and anxious about is that I really can't see a way out of this. If the vaccines weren't good enough, then what will be?

The answer can't be more vaccine doses, because if the vaccine alone isn't enough to prevent restrictions, the only alternative I see is a permanent societal shift to a state of medical hysteria where the government will write into law every small precaution we must take 'just in case' one death occurs. I would argue that we have experienced a gross misbalance of the prioritisation between quality of life and quantity of life over the past two years, and I feel more concerned than ever before now that the 'light at the end of the tunnel' has proven to be a red herring.
I don't dispute what you have experienced, that you are one of many, or that, for you, the consequences of these policies are more serious than the cost of Covid itself to you. I also hope that you are soon able to recover from the impact on your mental health of the last two years.

What I do challenge is the interpretation that because of what has happened to some, that somehow proves that the costs of the policies introduced by government were excessive. It's part of what needs to be considered, but no more sets the outcome than do those focusing purely on the Covid mitigation/prevention benefits have definitive proof that those means justified the ends.

The difference is between the impact on individuals, and the overall effect on the population as a whole.

seagull

Counselling (and any amount of funding for it) is not going to fix the issues caused by young people not being allowed to do normal young people things. That's the crux of the problem with this ridiculous ongoing overreaction to Covid. The initial lockdown of March 2020, fair enough, none of us knew exactly the extent and severity of the disease. But to continue along this path now is lunacy and hugely detrimental.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
As a parent and having worked extensively with young people, I have had on-going concerns over the general levels of resilience of young people in Britain which I think has been a systemic issue for a long time. That might sound like a criticism of young people, but it is not.

A number of activities among young people who are at a crucial stage of psychological development and additionally physiological brain development, have become commonplace when those activities have not been adequately risk-assessed. It might sound strange, but what is the impact of prolonged exposure to video games on a developing brain ; particularly since it is an activity which largely replaces personal social interaction ? Make no mistake, such games were introduced with no thought to any negative impacts that they might have since they were just big business ; look at what we are now discovering about Facebook / Meta's 'research' which seemed to be that we will ignore and hush down anything negative and carry on regardless.

We have widespread use of social media where school bullies can extend their reach into the homes of their victims at will with no regulation. The pressure for a young person to conform to the social mores of the biggest bully or the biggest f'wit in the school are enormous. They have been for years and only now are people starting to raise a voice. This has been a problem for years.

There has been an increased tendency in schools to remove challenge which I (and many pedagogical texts) believe to be an important part of the development of resilience. The argument for the continued functioning of schools during lockdowns assumes that school is a positive experience for pupils ; for many, it is not. Indeed many schools environments are toxic for many pupils and inhibit achievement.

There is no doubt that these issues have provided a perfect storm for mental health issues with lockdowns and restrictions but are we really arguing that lockdowns and restrictions per se are more of a threat to the mental health of a previous generation who spent hours in cold Anderson shelters whilst bombs rained down around them or the horrors of many children around the world who have lived and are living through war.

There is a cohort of people who will grab the latest BBC headline and use it to try to provide proof to prevent a further lockdown or restriction of freedom. If they are going to do that, they should provide evidence in support of their thesis. The UK is not the only country in the world to have lockdowns. What are the observations in other countries around the world ? If those people can't provide such evidence, they are merely citing 'facts' and often half-facts around their narrative not narratives around the facts.

Reading through this thread, I would have liked to have seen references to the primary literature that the posters appear to be quoting - although often the tone is such that the posters are actually publishing the research themselves. They seem little interested in the process of peer review.

One affect that lockdowns and restrictions have had on mental health is that some people do seem to be very angry and I don't really see that as a good qualification to be an administrator/moderator of a forum. Apparently, according to the original post, I should be concerned about whether I am 'forgiven' for a view that I may or may not have on lockdowns as part of my membership of the forum. This from someone who once sent me an email regarding my (tame) behaviour saying that he could withdraw my ability to view this part of the forum. A grip should really be got.

Oh well, I suppose that will get me a ban, because we are not supposed to discuss these things. We are just meant to run with the pack dogs.
I have highlighted some parts of your post.

Firstly I will say that Covid is bound to create tensions and arguments. It has had such a heavy and far reaching effect. So emotions run high.

I too have been concerned about the pressures on young people for a long time. The existence of social media means the public space for undermining, bullying and ridicule comes right into the home and bedroom of all children. The existence of really rather unpleasant games that children (who are developing) are exposed to worries me. As for school it was pointed out to me years ago that one problem children have is a lack of discipline. I see it as the lack of discipline from staff (who should be in authority) has been replaced by the discipline imposed by gangs (who should not be in authority) inside and outside the school gate. I saw a failing child who was failing because they were avoiding the bullying from other children if a teacher praised them - so he ensured his work was inadequate. This might seem off topic but it makes me wonder if some children might have actually benefited from being confined to home !.

But generally Children should be outside in the fresh air getting more exercise and spring was a good time to re start.

As for your suspicion that research on the effect of social media and computer games on young people has been swept under the carpet - it would not be the first time. Tobacco firms suppressed research about the damage to health and we are now seeing the over use of sugar in food being exposed for what it is.

In terms of resilience. My Granddaughter is rather clever but I sense open to bullying. I spend time online with her pushing her abilities. I have also listened out for her concerns and help her rationalise them. We build Lego together online and I get her problem solving - using reassurance to drive her on (although she has a fantastic attention span to start with). She ends up with a sense of achievement. I get her practising her spelling tests and I now get her to spell the words backwards to really see if they are cemented in. It is about what we can do despite the restrictions. And we have to use social media for its benefits rather than letting it fill a vacuum with evil. I did not see her for 10 months up to July 2021 so have used social media more than I reckoned I would !. So she has had more but different attention due to lockdown as we would not have visited more often than monthly.

Yes, we really do need some actual figures on how much harm lockdown is doing to mental health and other health issues. We need to be able to compare that to the harm a lesser/non lockdown would do. We need some actual numbers not just feelings. For the time being I have to believe what I see we are being told to do. My common sense suggests that the level of lockdowns has been decided primarily by the financial implications and the immediate effect on the NHS so there is room for other factors to need considering. But we need facts in the form of numbers.

If there were no lockdown at all then it could be anarchy when loads of families brought their ailing (dying) loved ones to the gates of the hospital desperate to get them admitted. I think perhaps a lot of what the government has mandated has been based on what they think the population can tolerate and what they are desperate to avoid. I think lockdowns would have been stricter / earlier if no one needed to see the proof of the effects of Covid but you have to carry the population with you so I think some would argue that lockdowns have been too little too late !. I would go for an earlier lockdown this winter BUT ONLY because of a MUCH earlier relaxation this past spring.

As for the second world war - your right that a lot of damage to peoples mental health happened then. Then there is shell shock from the first world war. Worse still it was very much in the era of stiff upper lip and keep going - "There is a war on you know". But like Covid the restrictions people had were there - conscription, the blackout and rationing. What might have made it easier to accept was the fact that bombs affecting areas near enough to most people were far better proof than Covid gives most of us nowadays. Perhaps if we did not protect the NHS so much then it would be easy to justify measures later. If you think about it successful prevention by definition will avert the very proof that the preventative action was needed. It also seems easier to blame the Germans (Nazis) than a Virus called Covid-19.
Counselling (and any amount of funding for it) is not going to fix the issues caused by young people not being allowed to do normal young people things. That's the crux of the problem with this ridiculous ongoing overreaction to Covid. The initial lockdown of March 2020, fair enough, none of us knew exactly the extent and severity of the disease. But to continue along this path now is lunacy and hugely detrimental.
The question to address is - are Lockdowns an overreaction to Covid ?.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The Colin Lockdown account has been taken down, so I call spoof on that one too.
Suspect the clue is in the name of the account.I hope I'm not doing a disservice to the grand old family of Lockdown who've maybe lived for centuries in deepest Norfolk or wherever.

adc82140

Established Member
Suspect the clue is in the name of the account.I hope I'm not doing a disservice to the grand old family of Lockdown who've maybe lived for centuries in deepest Norfolk or wherever.
There has to be someone out there with the double barrelled surname Lock-Down. I know two people called Lock and Downes. Perhaps I should do some matchmaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.