• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crackling Speakers at Stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Glasgow

Bit of an odd one but so far I’ve noticed at Edinburgh Waverley and Glasgow Central, their main tannoy speakers crackle and pop. Is this electrical interference or an anti pigeon measure?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Bit of an odd one but so far I’ve noticed at Edinburgh Waverley and Glasgow Central, their main tannoy speakers crackle and pop. Is this electrical interference or an anti pigeon measure?

Can't say I've noticed it at Edinburgh Waverley but the speakers at the entrance to Glasgow Central platforms 9 and 10 have been crackly for months, even if it is deliberate it's quite annoying.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I was at Stansted Airport station on Friday- the speakers there have an annoying rhythmic noise. Quickly worked out that it must be interference from the circuit that synchronises the clocks, as it was at exactly 60bpm.

John Webb

Established Member
Crackly speakers are most likely caused by a slightly loose connection in or close to the affected speaker(s). The loose connection is vibrated by the speaker being used, causing brief interruptions to the signal going into the speaker(s). Other causes are damaged speaker cones or the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.