• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crane in danger of falling - Leeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hearing reported that all trains to/from West end of Leeds stations are unable to run, due to reports of a crane near the like been in danger of falling.
This affects lines to Doncaster, Huddersfield, Skipton, Harrogate, Bradford etc, so will cause significant disruption.

Hearing reported that all trains to/from West end of Leeds stations are unable to run, due to reports of a crane near the like been in danger of falling.
This affects lines to Doncaster, Huddersfield, Skipton, Harrogate, Bradford etc, so will cause significant disruption.
Lines been blocked since about 14:15, should reopen soon as it’s been determined crane is not in danger of falling.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Does Network Rail ever have to pay out any compensation (to TOCs whose trains may have been delayed/cancelled) following incidents such as this particular one near Whitehall Road in Leeds, and, if so, do they (NR) have any redress from whomever owns or is operating the "unsafe" crane?

ASharpe

Things moving now, I sent the wife in a taxi while I hoped for the best with the trains. Think I'll be back in Shipley before her.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Inserts relevant swear word.

I wondered why everything had disappeared up its own backside.

All for yuppie flats no doubt.

Bantamzen

Established Member
We must catch the same trains all the time. I got a table to myself in the front coach.
Very possibly, I wasn't sure how many punters would be on that 158 so I opted for the doorway behind the drivers cab. Although I need not have rushed for it in the first place, with nothing running towards Baildon for at least another hour after it got to Shipley, and even the buses a mess with part of Baildon Road being shut. I ended up get my steps in walking the rest of the way, stopping off for a bottle of wine en route...

YorksLad12

Established Member
Inserts relevant swear word.

I wondered why everything had disappeared up its own backside.

All for yuppie flats no doubt.
I thought they were building a multi-storey first, then the flats, but there are two lift shafts. They will be my next-door neighbours-but-two. And I’m in London, waiting for a train back. These two days have been a bit expletive deleted, but I would normally be commuting home from Sheffield into it (and yesterday, via Westgate) so I should be thankful!

Very possibly, I wasn't sure how many punters would be on that 158 so I opted for the doorway behind the drivers cab. Although I need not have rushed for it in the first place, with nothing running towards Baildon for at least another hour after it got to Shipley, and even the buses a mess with part of Baildon Road being shut. I ended up get my steps in walking the rest of the way, stopping off for a bottle of wine en route...
First Bus ran? Not a good service like but they ran

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I thought they were building a multi-storey first, then the flats, but there are two lift shafts. They will be my next-door neighbours-but-two. And I’m in London, waiting for a train back. These two days have been a bit expletive deleted, but I would normally be commuting home from Sheffield into it (and yesterday, via Westgate) so I should be thankful!

A car park ? That's even worse.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Pretty sure it's not a car park that's being built.
No - that's what I was trying to say, but I'm sure a car park was part of the new, re-development. There's not much left of the surface car park now - I did wonder if it would encroach on the footpath that currently connects Whitehall Road and the river, but we're drifting off the topic.

Felt sorry for the crew of the 1933 this evening, who had to do a 10-minute turnaround at KX. At one point we were getting no announcements for LNER services at KX, but they were coming through fine for other operators, and the generic inclement weather messages. The 2033 from KX is only going as far as Doncaster, the 2133 is cancelled.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Does Network Rail ever have to pay out any compensation (to TOCs whose trains may have been delayed/cancelled) following incidents such as this particular one near Whitehall Road in Leeds, and, if so, do they (NR) have any redress from whomever owns or is operating the "unsafe" crane?

Yes, NR pays out penalties to TOCs for any incidents that are not attributed to the TOC.

NR can pursue third parties, but for failry obvious reasons often does not (1) or is not successfull (2).

1) for example… “NR bankrupts pensioner“ (who had a tree in their garden that fell on the line)
2) Depends on the insurance of the guilty party, and the concept of “consequential loss”.

bluenoxid

Established Member
With regards to the development, it appears that they are throwing up the two towers of the residential component with a multi-storey, offices and possibly hotel to follow on the part of the surface car park that has yet to close.

It looks like roads have now reopened and residents have returned to their homes following the incident.

InkyScrolls

The 1518 to Carlisle made an additional call at Long Preston for passengers who were unable to travel on the 1418 to Morecambe - which would have been the first train to leave following reopening of the line, had it not then failed before departure!

The 1518 ended up turning back at Appleby due to the flooding at Armathwaite. The line has now (0550 15/11/23) reopened.

notverydeep

Yes, NR pays out penalties to TOCs for any incidents that are not attributed to the TOC.

NR can pursue third parties, but for failry obvious reasons often does not (1) or is not successfull (2).

1) for example… “NR bankrupts pensioner“ (who had a tree in their garden that fell on the line)
2) Depends on the insurance of the guilty party, and the concept of “consequential loss”.
The way insurance works with trees is interesting. For example, a tree from my garden fell on my neighbour's shed, but they had to claim on their (buildings) insurance to make good the damage. That insurer covered them and they are happy with the new shed. As you would expect, that insurer then sought to recoup its loss from me, but they could only succeed had they been able to demonstrate that I had been negligent. The offending tree had been inspected and reduced in height two years previously, precisely to reduce the risk to the neighbour and this was ample evidence to refute the claim (and I had all the relevant paper work).

In the Network Rail example, to make a claim they would probably have had to have previously drawn the potentially dangerous tree to the pensioner's attention in writing and they would then have had to ignore the warning for negligence to possibly be demonstrated. Even then, assuming the pensioner had buildings insurance, they would likely be covered for third party liability to Network Rail (and then it would just be a negotiation about the amount with the pensioner not involved). The pensioner would likely see their premium rise, but not to anything like the amount the insurer would have to pay to cover a significant disruption.

xotGD

Established Member
Just spotted this thread. To add a bit more flavour, some of the nearby offices had to be evacuated as a precaution. Apparently, some folk left their car keys/house keys behind when they left the buildings and were then a bit stuck!

I was WFH, so missed the entertainment.

ASharpe

Just spotted this thread. To add a bit more flavour, some of the nearby offices had to be evacuated as a precaution. Apparently, some folk left their car keys/house keys behind when they left the buildings and were then a bit stuck!

I was WFH, so missed the entertainment.
My wife was one of them. She got an Uber with two colleagues while I got the first train out and beat her to Shipley. Had to meet her to grab my car key the next day as she uses the car mornings and me evenings.

It's a bit of a gamble now that we both commute by train as any major disruption risks nursery and school pick ups. Fortunately Shipley is amazingly well connected to Leeds via rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.