• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crewe to Manchester Airport via Piccadilly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Is a ticket from Crewe to Manchester Airport valid via Manchester Piccadilly?

I want to meet a friend for lunch in the city before an afternoon flight.

I suspect it isn’t valid because it double back? But I’m not sure.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Don't think that's valid, but reckon a £15.80 Off Peak Day Return from Crewe to Manchester Stns (not restricted to a particular TOC) would work for your planned itinerary.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi all,

Is a ticket from Crewe to Manchester Airport valid via Manchester Piccadilly?

I want to meet a friend for lunch in the city before an afternoon flight.

I suspect it isn’t valid because it double back? But I’m not sure.

Thanks for any help.
No, unfortunately not - despite the fact that there are often times when the next non-overtaken itinerary is via Manchester Piccadilly. Of course this is entirely consistent with the rail industry's claim that "most passengers wish to travel via the shortest route" :lol:, ignoring that most just want to get to their destination as quickly as possible!

In practice I imagine it might be accepted via Piccadilly anyway, but it would be a bit of a gamble.

Instead, you could use an Off-Peak Day Return ticket to Manchester Stations to go out to Piccadilly and then back to the Airport, finishing short there.

Alternatively, there are almost always cheap Advance fares (costing between £3.50 and £6) on the stopping Northern services, and sometimes also a slightly more expensive one (£10.50) for the TfW fast. You could then add on an Advance from Piccadilly to the Airport (costing between £3.10 and £5.10), or buy a TPE only or TfW only Off-Peak Day Single for £4.60 or £4.30 respectively.

There is no need to book a long time in advance to get the above-mentioned Advance tickets, although it does tend to be cheaper to do so. I have previously bought Advances for the Northern stopper 10 minutes before getting on the train.

What you might like to do is to buy Advances for the trains you think you'll take through one of the retailers that offers fee-free changes to Advance tickets (XC, TPE or Railsmartr) and then change your Advance to another service or indeed to a walk-up ticket if your plans change - paying just the difference in price to the new fare.

Thanks both.

I think I will buy the off peak day return to Manchester Stations as suggested just to keep things simple. And then buy an advance back from the airport when I'm back from travelling.

mangyiscute

Established Member
Depending on how cheap the advance is, and how long you'll be away for, you could buy a £21.10 anytime short return which would allow you to travel to Manchester, then to the airport, break your journey at the airport and then continue it at any point within the next 30 days, so as long as you fly back within 30 days this would cover the journey back too.

Status
Not open for further replies.