• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crewe to Southampton Off-Peak Return validity/routeing

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeJuice

Hello I have a return portion of a Southampton to Crewe Off Peak Return valid NOT VIA LONDON. Also the journey must start at 0930 each day if I broke the journey - correct.

I'd like some thoughts on using the routing guide maps since it's a mapped journey I could either use BJ and BW to travel via Birmingham and Bristol or RJ to travel direct via Reading.

Both BJ and RJ include routing points via Stoke-on-Trent so would my ticket be valid to travel from Crewe to Stoke and connect into the Cross Country train there?

Secondly I'm assuming break of journeys are allowed and therefore if the above is valid. Would I be ok to start short at Kidsgrove at 0931 and connect into the 1008 Cross Country at Stoke?

I realise this is a bit specific, but wanted to test/check my understanding of the routeing guide before using my ticket for the above.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
the journey must start at 0930 each day if I broke the journey - correct
Yes, the restriction code applying to that ticket is the common XC-set one of 2V - which bars boarding trains timed to depart between 04:30-09:29 (inclusive) on Mondays-Fridays, except on Bank Holidays.

I'd like some thoughts on using the routing guide maps since it's a mapped journey
There is one direct service each day from Crewe to Southampton, departing at 05:46. However this departs before your ticket is valid - except on Saturdays and Bank Holidays.

You can also travel by the shortest route and (arguably) by any route within 3 miles thereof. However this doesn't add any routes that aren't already permitted by the mapped routes, except perhaps some of the 'back routes' around Birmingham which are used during certain engineering works (e.g. Bushbury Jn-Portobello Jn avoiding Wolverhampton, and/or via Bescot Stadium, and/or Aston-Stechford avoiding Birmingham New Street). Your ticket would be accepted on these diversions (and there are usually easements anyway), so that's somewhat of a moot point.

I could either use BJ and BW to travel via Birmingham and Bristol or RJ to travel direct via Reading
Correct. Both permit minor diversions, e.g. via Worcester and/or Gloucester rather than avoiding them, via Dorridge vice Coventry. You can also travel along the Trent Valley line as far as Tamworth, and then via any of the lines connecting the intermediate stations to Birmingham. There are also some more obscure diversions you can use, e.g. from Basingstoke to Andover and then the Laverstock Curve, rather than via Winchester.

Both BJ and RJ include routing points via Stoke-on-Trent so would my ticket be valid to travel from Crewe to Stoke and connect into the Cross Country train there?
Yes, that's a permitted route.

Secondly I'm assuming break of journeys are allowed and therefore if the above is valid
Yes, break of journey is permitted on your ticket. You may break your journey (including starting late or finishing early) an unlimited number of times before the expiry date of your ticket, at any station that's on a permitted route.

Would I be ok to start short at Kidsgrove at 0931 and connect into the 1008 Cross Country at Stoke?
Yes, that would be valid. If you wanted to start at Crewe you could buy an extra ticket from Crewe to Kidsgrove. A single would be £5.50 (there is only an Anytime Day Single, no Off-Peak fare).

Status
Not open for further replies.