• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
That was the justification for Denly in the team, someone to protect the middle order from the new ball and fresh bowlers...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Seems to me that at 4 he has been pushed too far up the order for Test cricket. Tomorrow's conditions don't matter if you have to bat against a decent attack in the fourth over today.
I agree with both those comments. Pope makes a far better no. 4. In fact, this is one of England's least convincing batting XIs for a while, in common with the last test. Buttler has not got a good test batting record, Woakes doesn't make runs these days and Broad is only good for a last wicket smasharound. Buttler should be replaced by Foakes or Bairstow in my opinion: both have always been better keepers, and potentially better batsmen.

geoffk

Established Member
The England batting does look a bit thin and Root doesn't like going in at 3. I agree about Bairstow or Foakes, if their current form is good with gloves and bat.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 3 0f the Test Match was very much a day for the bowlers. Pakistan took the final England first innings wickets, leaving England all out for 219, giving Pakistan a lead of 107 runs. However no Pakistan batsman made much of an impact and in their second innings, they were 137-8 at close of play, a lead of 244 runs.

Incidentally, did anyone notice how many of the Pakistan batsmen made double figures in their first innings?

kje7812

117-5 didn't look too promising that's for sure. Most comments on TMS suggested that the pakistani player seemed to have given up towards the end, which is quite the reversal from when the 5th wicket fell.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
That was a brilliant game if cricket.

I wouldn’t say that Pakistan gave up, they were undone by some brilliant batting by Root, Buttler and Woakes, and questionable captaincy.

kje7812

With rain delays on the first, second and now fourth days and the third day being wiped out due to rain and bad light, I feel that the second test might end up being a draw. The forecast for today and tomorrow isn't great either.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
God I miss cricket here in the USA. The yanks ask incredulously “5 days to play a game? “

Bill Bryson’s thoughts on the subject are quite amusing, albeit wrong.

After a long discourse about the principle of having a sport that takes 5 days and can still end in a draw, and that it has breaks specifically for meals, he summed it up with “the only two differences between baseball and cricket is that baseball is exciting, and at the end of the day you know who’s won”

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Well I think baseball is incredibly boring. Test match cricket in particular is thoroughly absorbing

I quite like baseball, but it is all a bit simple.

Test cricket has strategy, tactics, skill, weather and a smattering of luck.

Howardh

Established Member
Bill Bryson’s thoughts on the subject are quite amusing, albeit wrong.

After a long discourse about the principle of having a sport that takes 5 days and can still end in a draw, and that it has breaks specifically for meals, he summed it up with “the only two differences between baseball and cricket is that baseball is exciting, and at the end of the day you know who’s won”
Americans don't like anything that ends in a draw! Over here, football, cricket, rugby, very rarely a tie-breaker, just a draw, shake hands, share the points. Except in football where you lose out on half-a-point!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Last time I watched Cricket was at Old Trafford for a 1 day game
Last time I saw a game was Surrey v Hampshire, one dayer, at Whitgift School, Croydon, specifically to see Shane Warne in action for just the one time in my life. Arrived late, wasn't disappointed, Shane was in his first over and the first and third balls I saw him bowl he took wickets, ending up with his best ever one day bowling figures of 6 for something, and this in his 600th plus onedayer. He spent the entire interval between innings signing autographs, and the team had only arrived in Croydon at 3 a.m. after a four day county championship match at Headingley that had gone to the wire. What he was on, I don't know, but, tell you what, he deserved every minute of it as far as I am concerned. More than any other team (or other) game I suggest it is a true test of character, and that guy had it in spades.

kevconnor

Last game I got to was t20 final last year at Edgbaston, then I was also at all days of the Ashes at Old Trafford too. I am missing being at the cricket, next weekend I had a few days booked off work to see Lancashire v Surrey at Old Trafford in the County Championship. I will need to console myself in the knowledge that what I have spent on Cricket this year can carry over to games next year instead.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Absolutely no doubt in top 10 and agreed strong chance of top 5 but then it gets into opinions

Bradman, Tendulkar, Sobers, Lara - not easy

Tendulkar, Kallis, Warne, Sobers, Sangakkara.

I am too young to have seen Sobers play, but saw all the others.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Absolutely no doubt in top 10 and agreed strong chance of top 5 but then it gets into opinions

Bradman, Tendulkar, Sobers, Lara - not easy
No, not at all easy. I'd prefer to choose a top 20 or 25 myself, because it's also a question of balance. For instance, in a 25 it should be possible to put out a couple of X1s not top heavy with batsmen. Always a bit more difficult to choose bowlers, I'd suggest, as there's less that an individual can do to secure entry in terms of style or beating individual records e.g. no bowler can take more than 10 wickets in an innings! For my money, though, Holding, Marshall, Lindwall and Imran Khan would have to be amongst the fast bowlers, and Viv Richards the batsmen. I'm deliberately not suggesting any England players, past or present. :)