• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Another Lancastrian from a later period that I liked was Frank Hayes, who played for Lancashire from 1970 to 1984, part of that time I held County Membership as a "benefit" of the consultancy I was with in that period. Frank Hayes scored 94 on his Lancashire first-team debut in 1970 and was a useful batsman who usually came in second wicket down in the innings. His Test Match and ODI career was short, but on his Test Match debut, he scored 106 not out. Unfortunately that was his only Test Match score of note. I think it was in 1977, when he hit Malcolm Nash of Glamorgan for 34 in an over (6-4-6-6-6-6) when playing for Lancashire and Malcolm Nash fared even worse in another match, when the great Garfield Sobers hit him for 6 x 6s in an over.
I was fortunate enough to see Frank Hayes' debut England innings, on the Saturday of the Oval test. He was a beautiful player: Zak Crawley reminds me of him, so I can only hope he has a longer England career than Frank. Speaking of Crawleys, John of Lancs was a lovely onside batsman, but his offside play was limited, so could never have become a successful test batsman, at least on a more pacy pitch. His 'big score' was also at the Oval and was achieved against Murali and no pace to speak of!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 2 of the Roses Match saw the early Lancashire order batsmen showing none of the uncertainties that affected the Yorkshire top order on the first day. Jennings went on to score a century ably aided by 60 from Wells and 52 from Davies and Lancashire were 350-6 at close of play. The weather hopefully will hold for the next two days.

Day 3 saw Lancashire turn the screw even more, with Bohannon 127 not out and 61 from Lamb before they eventually called it a day at 509-9 declared. Yorkshire looked to build a reply, but lost their first two wickets near to the end of the day.

Day 4....It is now 1500 and Yorkshire are 185-6, just having lost a wicket. They still trail Lancashire by 165 runs in their second innings.

EDIT ... It went down to the last 30 minutes of play and despite some admirable late order Yorkshire resistance, they were all out for 271 and Lancashire had won by an innings and 79 runs. Chief bowlers this innings were pace bowler Mahmood 5-47 and spinner Parkinson 3-61.

Last edited:

HST43257

Established Member
2/5 days done of Test 1 on England vs New Zealand

NZ posted 378, a strong day 1 and less so on day 2.

England finished at 111-2. Sibley with a duck and Crawley getting 2, Burns and Root not out with 59 and 42 respectively

I see no hope for Crawley and Sibley in this side. Crawley only has a respectable test average because of a single innings last summer, in which he got 267 runs. Sibley has had a couple of 50s and 1 century IIRC.

I don’t rate Jonny Bairstow too much but I rate him more than Crawley and Sibley, so I’d maybe bring him in.

Burns, Bairstow, Pope, Root, Stokes, Buttler
Decent opening 6? Add in a Lawrence or Bracey where neccessary

Geezertronic

Established Member
I don’t rate Jonny Bairstow too much but I rate him more than Crawley and Sibley, so I’d maybe bring him in.

Burns, Bairstow, Pope, Root, Stokes, Buttler
Decent opening 6? Add in a Lawrence or Bracey where neccessary

As long as neither Bairstow nor Buttler come in to keep wicket too...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
What devils are in the wicket in Glamorgan's match against Lancashire. It is only mid-way through the second day and thirty wickets have fallen so far.
Lancashire (1st innings) ..... 173 all out
Glamorgan (1st innings) ..... 150 all out
Lancashire (2nd innings) .... 164 all out

kje7812

What devils are in the wicket in Glamorgan's match against Lancashire. It is only mid-way through the second day and thirty wickets have fallen so far.
Lancashire (1st innings) ..... 173 all out
Glamorgan (1st innings) ..... 150 all out
Lancashire (2nd innings) .... 164 all out
Glamorgan 137-3 at the close of play, so looking good for them.

No play at Lord's nor at Kent or Essex due to rain. Shame that wasn't the case at Worcester :frown:

SteveM70

Established Member
Leicestershire could be about to win two games in a row for the first time since, well, a looooong time ago.

Scored 450+ then bowled top of the table Gloucestershire out for 150-odd and had them 5/1 at the close following on. Or -288/1 as my son prefers to put it. Callum Parkinson (twin brother of Lancashire and England’s Matt) with 6 wickets.

Nice to see the hard work paying off at last

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 4 in the Test Match started badly for England, as Root was dismissed by the first ball of the day.

Pope has just fallen lbw to Southee for 22, leaving England on 140-4.
This was followed very quickly by Lawrence and Bracey also falling to Southee at the same score, to leave England on 140-6.

Glamorgan 137-3 at the close of play, so looking good for them.
Glamorgan moved on to 188-4 to win by 6 wickets.

Still, I can take some Lancastrian consolation from not all that long ago when the South African pair Alviro Petersen (286) and Ashwell Prince (262) put on a stand of 501 for the third wicket for Lancashire against Glamorgan at that famous "Glamorganshire" settlement known as Colwyn Bay... :D

Perhaps Lancashire could take a leaf out of "The Glamorgan Book of Geography" and play the odd match or so at the "Lancashire" town of Exmouth.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
One minute the clown towners don't want politics in sport ( taking the knee in football) and then they are all frothing themselves silly over politics in sport ( Cultiure secretary involves himself in Robinson suspension). How can one keep up with the position to hold? Being a right wing dingbat must be very hard!

BBC: Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden says the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) "has gone over the top" in suspending bowler Ollie Robinson for historical racist and sexist tweets.

kje7812

One minute the clown towners don't want politics in sport ( taking the knee in football) and then they are all frothing themselves silly over politics in sport ( Cultiure secretary involves himself in Robinson suspension). How can one keep up with the position to hold? Being a right wing dingbat must be very hard!

Nothing out of the ordinary then :rolleyes:

Considering Robinson himself, a lot of people say things on the internet that they later regret. As long as he now realises he was wrong to say them, hopefully the investigation won't be too hard on him.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Nothing out of the ordinary then :rolleyes:

Considering Robinson himself, a lot of people say things on the internet that they later regret. As long as he now realises he was wrong to say them, hopefully the investigation won't be too hard on him.
There should be an investigation. What would be the response if it turned out this wasn't the action of a callow youth and was indicative of a long term position or current thought process? what should we do then? It is bonkers.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I got to admit when i first heard of these sexist/racist tweets i expected a lot more that what the actual tweets were. Teenager indulges in dodgy puerile banter. Rest of the news to follow.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I got to admit when i first heard of these sexist/racist tweets i expected a lot more that what the actual tweets were. Teenager indulges in dodgy puerile banter. Rest of the news to follow.
The tweets themselves ( seen thanks to an NZ newspaper!) are childish, immature and puerile. There still needs to be an investigation if only to establish that such views are not held today. It is quite easily dealt with:

These are not views I hold and as a grown man I look back on these childish tweets with regret and embarrassment and i apologies for any offence they may cause. At that time I was an insecure child and had not benefited from the exposure to life and culture that I have been privileged to experience as a professional cricketer and that has broadened my horizon etc etc etc.

Now our glorious PM has waded into this situation:

BBC: A spokesperson for Mr Johnson said: "The PM is supportive of Oliver Dowden's comments. As Dowden set out, these were comments made more than a decade ago written by someone as a teenager and for which they've rightly apologised."

It is clear the right wingers want to use this as a test case. if they can get this overturned they can then press on with their battle against the alleged "cancel" culture. The desire is clear that they want speech without consequence. Who knew that someone like Johnson would be interested in speech without consequence.

Last edited:

kje7812

It is clear the right wingers want to use this as a test case. if they can get this overturned they can then press on with their battle against the alleged "cancel" culture. The desire is clear that they want speech without consequence. Who knew that someone like Johnson would be interested in speech without consequence.
Quite, it's clear the only free speech they are interested is the 'consequence free' variety.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
162 Test matches and only scored 1241 runs? Amateur :D
Being a number 11, there were innings when England had declared before he had a chance to bat. I still remember when he scored 81 against India in 2014. He has an uncanny knack of accumulating "not outs" when batting in Test Matches.

On the other side of the comparison coin, he has taken more than 615 times more wickets than Cook in Test Matches... :D

Last edited:

Typhoon

Established Member
Yet another England batting collapse - they really are tenth-rate.
In 1965 John Edrich scored 310 not out against New Zealand which goes some way to show what advances New Zealand have made, and what declines we have suffered. The likes of Boycott, Barrington and, later, Tavare were castigated (and sometimes dropped) for not scoring fast enough, the present crew remain in the team even though they are not scoring.

England have a batting coach, Marcus Trescothick, who needs to work with the younger players and see if they can be taught to build an innings, if not discard them. It is no good keep picking players who score 60's against the weakened medium pace attack of Trumptonshire. New Zealand never even bowled Southee and Boult together. Numbers 8 and 9 on the card put together the first partnership of over 30 for the innings.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
inceIn 1965 John Edrich scored 310 not out against New Zealand which goes some way to show what advances New Zealand have made, and what declines we have suffered. The likes of Boycott, Barrington and, later, Tavare were castigated (and sometimes dropped) for not scoring fast enough, the present crew remain in the team even though they are not scoring.

England have a batting coach, Marcus Trescothick, who needs to work with the younger players and see if they can be taught to build an innings, if not discard them. It is no good keep picking players who score 60's against the weakened medium pace attack of Trumptonshire. New Zealand never even bowled Southee and Boult together. Numbers 8 and 9 on the card put together the first partnership of over 30 for the innings.
It's over thirty years apparently since a test team batting first at Edgbaston and posting a score of 300 plus has gone on to lose the match, but then we never used to have a cricket governing body that prioritised glitz over substance and the applause of the ignorant over the knowledgeable. I've been pondering why James Bracey was ever considered worthy of being included in a test team, based on previous 'achievements', and the evidence is not immediately apparent, with a batting average of 30 this season in seven innings, no century since 2018 and he wasn't even wicketkeeping for Glos in those days!

Last edited:

Typhoon

Established Member
It's over thirty years apparently since a test team batting first at Edgbaston and posting a score of 300 plus has gone on to lose the match, but then we never used to have a cricket governing body that prioritised glitz over substance and the applause of the ignorant over the knowledgeable. I've been pondering why James Bracey was ever considered worthy of being included in a test team, based on previous 'achievements', and the evidence is not immediately apparent, with a batting average of 30 this season in seven innings, no century since 2018 and he wasn't even wicketkeeping for Glos in those days!
We seem fixated by wicket-keeper batsman, presumably because they know the batting line up is likely to fail so need to play seven batsman, only four bowlers so no room for spin.

To give him his due, Bracey has scored a century this year, 118 against Somerset at Bristol on 16th April. The ESPN reporter wrote
Combining solid technique, sound shot selection and a high degree of concentration, 23-year-old Bracey enhanced his England prospects by contributing 118 in an innings spanning 12 minutes short of six hours.
Not the Bracey we have seen during the last three days, so was he selected on a single performance?

I looked back at the County Championship matches that ended at the end of May (only chosen because they were largely uninterrupted and easy to go through on the BBC website). Six centuries, three by players not qualified for England, one by a discard and two by the relatively inexperienced (who I wouldn't want to throw in at the deep end). It is centuries, and big centuries at that, that win Test Matches, not 40s or 50s. With upcoming series against India and Australia it is difficult to see where the runs will come from, and, should some of those that we have thrust into the limelight of late have a hard time against these two test nations, they may never recover. The only good thing is that we must have a fair chance of making it competitive in the Women's Ashes.

As a Kent supporter, the idea that Sam Billings was any sort of reserve for the Test Team appalls me, he is a white ball cricketer who is pretty good at motivating others. That's it.

Quote from https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...loucestershire-group-2-1244228/match-report-2

HST43257

Established Member
England have just lost the series, with acting captain Latham getting the winning runs

Let’s get Bairstow back for the India series, with Stokes and Buttler as well.

This isn’t an England team who can compete in the Ashes.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Another Test Match being played at the same time also had a dramatic result, with South Africa beating West Indies by an innings and 63 runs within three days.

West Indies (1st innings) ..... 97 all out
Ngidi ... 13.5 - 7 - 19 - 5
Nortje .... 11 - 3 - 35 - 4

South Africa (1st innings) .....322 all out
de Kock 141 not out (7 x 6 / 12 x 4)

West Indies (2nd innings) .....162 all out
Rabada .... 20 - 9 - 34 - 5