• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Busaholic

Veteran Member
You're partially right, Glamorgan did will the Sunday League with Viv Richards, but it was in 1993. They also won the National League in 2002 and 2004. The difference is that they were all purely Leagues, whereas this is the first Cup competition that the County has won.
I think it's a shame we can't be allowed a proper knock-out county competition any more, though, just like the F.A. Cup in football. These hybrid competitions are a case of the tail wagging the dog imo. I can't imagine in twenty, or even ten, years time the recent victory will be remembered by more than a handful of people

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Typhoon

Established Member
Oval Invincibles won the Women's Hundred (pretty convincingly) in front of over 17,000.

One aspect of the tournament that might particularly benefit women's cricket is that young players like Alice Capsey (aged 17 and 10 days), Sarah Bryce (21) and Mady Villiers (22) get to play alongside internationals like Dane Van Niekirk, Marizanne Kapp and Shabnim Ismail (of South Africa). As women play very few tests, the lack of innings building in the Hundred is not likely to impede their progress playing for their national team. What might help them is that few will have a natural team to support (their county or their country) so maybe there will be less criticism when a young player does not perform so well.

The inclusion of young players in the men's team may well also be of benefit the national team (at least in the shorter forms of the game) eventually.

birchesgreen

Established Member
There was the amazing statistic given in the RL50 final that there were 100 debutants in the competition this year across the counties.

Interesting that both Hundred finals were won by the teams which won the "eliminators" yesterday, momentum means a lot in sport.

Typhoon

Established Member
There was the amazing statistic given in the RL50 final that there were 100 debutants in the competition this year across the counties.
Would that be debutants for their counties, debutants for the tournament or debutants in county cricket?

To be honest I am not surprised. I reckon Kent had at least 8 players who had never plaid for Kent before this year, several of whom haven't got a contract. What with Test call ups, The Hundred (including late call ups), Covid, injuries I am surprised there was not more. The Hundred took more county players than might be expected due to late withdrawals of international players (several from Australia at least). Hopefully next year they will be able to sort out a timetable which will need to take into account both the men's and women's schedule..

Furryanimal

You're partially right, Glamorgan did will the Sunday League with Viv Richards, but it was in 1993. They also won the National League in 2002 and 2004. The difference is that they were all purely Leagues, whereas this is the first Cup competition that the County has won.
Not forgetting the second division of the National League in 2001 when we won title on the same day we got relegated in the County Championship.
Getting promoted and relegated on the day may be unique!

HST43257

Established Member
India 78 all out on Day 1 in Headingley. Very good performances all round in the bowling really

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well seeing that India were all out for 78 (Anderson and Overton three apiece and Robinson and Curran both with two) and having no faith in England's batting I'm starting to worry that my day three tickets may be ambitious! :lol:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So that's England out for 52 then ;)

I, for one, am looking forward to England being all out for 52, Indian racking up 200 and then England collapsing again in the final session on Day 2 leaving me to watch India claim the final English wicket to win the game on Day 3 at about 1102. Worth the money! :lol:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I, for one, am looking forward to England being all out for 52, Indian racking up 200 and then England collapsing again in the final session on Day 2 leaving me to watch India claim the final English wicket to win the game on Day 3 at about 1102. Worth the money! :lol:
Surely one ball AFTER the refund limit ;)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Surely one ball AFTER the refund limit ;)
Ha! Almost certainly!
Because having forked out a fair chunk of change to watch the Test Match and forking out a fair chunk more to get there it would be sods law that India and England both play so badly that I get to only enjoy a few minutes of cricket. It was a joke ;)

DelW

Established Member
England 120 for no wicket at the close.

Having been out all day, I've recorded the highlights. Now looking forward to settling down with a little light refreshment to watch them - maybe once, or twice, or three times...

Still a long way to go, but I'll enjoy day one!

kje7812

The remaining batsmen should probably just give it a go tomorrow morning and see what they can get. If they get a bit, success with ball often follows that with the bat.

HST43257

Established Member
The way I see it, India have to make 650 in 2 days and set us 300 for day 5 to put up a fight in this test match.

Likely? I think not.

What I think is much more likely is an England win by an innings or chasing a very low total

backontrack

Established Member
Let's go out and bash it around as much as we 478 is a bit optimistic but a giving India a round 400 to chase would be a good aspiration. But 450 all out should be enough.

Let's go out and bash it around as much as we 478 is a bit optimistic but a giving India a round 400 to chase would be a good aspiration. But 450 all out should be enough.
Spoken too soon...

Still, dislodge some of the upper order and we're on our way.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I am sure that the lessons learnt by India from the first innings batting debacle will not be lost on them in their second innings. On day 3 of the Test Match, England lost their last two wickets early at the start of play for the addition of only nine more runs, but India's batting application in their second innings was far more disciplined with the total they faced and they only lost two wickets in the entire day, closing on 215-2, still trailing England by 139 runs with eight second innings wickets still to fall.

Day 4 only was of a short duration as India succumbed far too easily from their overnight total of 215-2, which should have been a platform to bat to a big total in their second innings to an all out total of 278. England win by an innings and 76 runs.
Robinson ..... 26 - 6 - 65 - 5
Overton .....18.3 - 6 - 47 - 3

Buttler takes another three "caught behind" giving him a match total of eight of those dismissals.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
England recovered from a position of being 62-5 in their first innings early on the second day of this Test Match to being 290 all out, thanks to some good later order batting performances, with Pope highest scoring with 81. That gave them a lead of 99 over India.

prod_pep

Established Member
England's disintegration today was an all too familiar sight, but that was another superb test match in an outstanding series. I've thoroughly enjoyed it and it has been an excellent advert for five-match test series. The last test promises to be another ripsnorter.

DelW

Established Member
India are "unable to field a team" for the final test! - despite there having been no further positive tests among staff, and none at all among players.

So have BCCI tried to pull a fast one, "baking in" their current 2-1 lead *and* getting all their players home and into isolation / bubbles in good time for the highly lucrative IPL in 10 days time?

India should surely forfeit the match (to leave a drawn series) and arguably pay compensation for the huge bill this will leave the ECB and/or Old Trafford.

All in all a most unsatisfactory end to this series, with at least a sniff, if not yet a stench, of foul play.

Furryanimal

India are "unable to field a team" for the final test! - despite there having been no further positive tests among staff, and none at all among players.

So have BCCI tried to pull a fast one, "baking in" their current 2-1 lead *and* getting all their players home and into isolation / bubbles in good time for the highly lucrative IPL in 10 days time?

India should surely forfeit the match (to leave a drawn series) and arguably pay compensation for the huge bill this will leave the ECB and/or Old Trafford.

All in all a most unsatisfactory end to this series, with at least a sniff, if not yet a stench, of foul play.
Just what I was thinking!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The ECB originally said that India had forfeited the match and the series would be draw, two each. That statement seems to have been withdrawn, as it now says that India have been unable to raise a team with no mention of the result.

daodao

Established Member
As the final match has unfortunately been cancelled, the series should be declared as a 2:1 victory for India. England were atrocious except in the 3rd test and they only saved the 1st test because of the weather.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
As the final match has unfortunately been cancelled, the series should be declared as a 2:1 victory for India. England were atrocious except in the 3rd test and they only saved the 1st test because of the weather.

No it shouldnt. It should be declared as per the rules. India failed to put a team out. The match hasnt been cancelled

England were awful in this series but india didnt show up today. I suspect the IPL money has a lot to do with it.

High Dyke

Established Member
The decision by India certainly isn't in the spirit of the game. I'm not expecting the ICC to do much about it though... :rolleyes:

A friend of mine text me this morning about this - he's a Yorkshire fan, but he'll recover soon. As he put, it could make it spicy if the teams meet in the T20 World Cup.