• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Pakenhamtrain

There were around 57,000 spectators at the MCG today. I don't know what tickets cost, but even at say £50 each (considerably less than in England) that would be a revenue of nearly £3 million for a single day, even before e.g. catering profits.

Other venues and days may attract smaller crowds, but I doubt English cricket could afford to pay anything like 10 days of compensation for that sort of loss of income. And why should spectators be denied their right to watch a match they've paid for?

I've no idea why you're so anti-English, but what you propose has never been done even for series far more unevenly balanced than this one. You're also wrong about 10th rate, England are 4th in the ICC test rankings, marginally behind Australia, though they may drop as a result of this series. Zimbabwe are 10th.
The cheapest ticket was $30 up to $199.

I had a $45 ticket which was level 4 around long on/off 3rd man/fine leg.

Catering well they have the nerve to charge 10 bucks for a beer!

They were expecting 70k yesterday. The Omicron variant scared people off I reckon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
The gradual move into the shorter forms of cricket was bound to have a detrimental effect on the five-day Test Match format.

Australia seem to be coping OK, and India and New Zealand looked to be managing alright back in the summer

DelW

Established Member
The cheapest ticket was $30 up to $199.

I had a $45 ticket which was level 4 around long on/off 3rd man/fine leg.

Catering well they have the nerve to charge 10 bucks for a beer!

They were expecting 70k yesterday. The Omicron variant scared people off I reckon.
That's quite a bit cheaper than in England. Just for comparison, I looked at prices for next summer's test against South Africa at the Oval, cheapest for days 1 - 4 seem to be £75 (~$140 AUS) and the first three days are already sold out to members via a ballot.

Having said that, I don't think they've gone up much recently, I remember paying around that about 10 years ago, though that might not have been in the cheapest category.

Pakenhamtrain

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Play might be delayed today.
The England team and management are currently at the team hotel awaiting results of RFT COVID tests following a positive test in the team’s family group. We will provide more information in due course.
Also a member of 7s broadcast team has tested positive.

Sorry lads: we will have to abandon the whole series. Lets call it a draw
Seems fair

Pakenhamtrain

From platform 6 at Richmond.
Good crowd heading in.

Session times have been updated. Delayed 30 mins

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
4 positive cases within the England party. 2 support staff; 2 family members.

There will be more positive covid tests than wickets by the end of the day

Last edited:

High Dyke

Established Member

So far so good at lunch. Anderson castles Smith, for a low score. However, Leach was paid lip service to bowl one over. :|

backontrack

Established Member
Thank god our batsman have been able to bowl out Smith and Labuschagne. Bringing Zak Crawley in really made the difference.

backontrack

Established Member
So Joe Root's logic is to put the crap spinner on when you have pressure on Australia for the first time
Root brought him on against left-handers, too. His weakness.

Honestly, is Joe Root sabotaging us intentionally, just so he can not-quite rescue us with his batting skills? Is there any other explanation for this self-destructive dire captaincy?

For England, those have quite literally been the only positives.

PauloDavesi

Stone has not retired. He’s making good progress in his rehab from back surgery, and hopes to be playing in mid summer.

Class800

Established Member
Play might be delayed today.
The England team and management are currently at the team hotel awaiting results of RFT COVID tests following a positive test in the team’s family group. We will provide more information in due course.
Also a member of 7s broadcast team has tested positive.
Every country has the right to its own rules, but Australia's have typically been stricter than England's throughout Covid, but seemingly not here. I believe if this happened in England that those who tested positive on the rapid tests (we call them lateral flow tests) plus their household would have to isolate until a negative PCR comes back. Until last week, England required 10 day isolation for all contacts of PCR confirmed omicron cases, but now it's daily testing after the case is confirmed. This seems quite lenient allowing players to take the field when family members tested positive and players may be incubating the virus. Indeed maybe reckless.

Class800

Established Member
Surely a captain would now consider asking one of his players to start coughing loads in the middle, to get another round of PCRs ordered, which even if negative, the time lost might help us sneak a draw

Pakenhamtrain

Every country has the right to its own rules, but Australia's have typically been stricter than England's throughout Covid, but seemingly not here. I believe if this happened in England that those who tested positive on the rapid tests (we call them lateral flow tests) plus their household would have to isolate until a negative PCR comes back. Until last week, England required 10 day isolation for all contacts of PCR confirmed omicron cases, but now it's daily testing after the case is confirmed. This seems quite lenient allowing players to take the field when family members tested positive and players may be incubating the virus. Indeed maybe reckless.
If this happened in New South Wales we wouldn't be talking cricket right now. NSW rules mean close contacts must isolate for 7 days. Victorian rules mean that for everyone other than household contacts need only to get a PCR test and isolate until result.

England will be getting thier PCR tests when they get to the hotel.

It's why today 7s commentary team had to isolate until they tested negative. Most returned to thier jobs after lunch.

We are slowly moving away from PCR tests because the testing centres have basically collapsed under the workload. We are looking at rapid tests for asymptomatic people.

STUMPS DAY 2

ENG 4/31.

England were on top for all of 5 minutes.

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
This seems quite lenient allowing players to take the field when family members tested positive and players may be incubating the virus. Indeed maybe reckless.
According to Aggers on the radio, the family members who tested positive are family of support staff not of players.
Also mentioned earlier on commentary that all players will have to take PCR tests tonight.
Not much other than abandonment would save England from their current predicament though.

Falcon1200

Established Member
And now 31-4 at the close ! Even though one of those wickets was the night watchman, that is beyond pathetic.

BTW, what is the point of a night watchman ? You don't want to risk losing a top batsman near the close of play, so you send out a less-skilled batsman to try and survive. And if he gets out, as of course with England he did, what then ?

Pakenhamtrain

According to Aggers on the radio, the family members who tested positive are family of support staff not of players.
Also mentioned earlier on commentary that all players will have to take PCR tests tonight.
Not much other than abandonment would save England from their current predicament though.
It might be classed as a casual contact then.

birchesgreen

Established Member
No wonder i had trouble sleeping last night, i must have been able to keep track of the score sub-consiously!

Great to see Jimmy get a decent haul, never write that guy off!

But the batting, well what else can be said that hasn't already! Maybe Root needs to be relieved of the captaincy and become an opener...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Maybe Root needs to be relieved of the captaincy and become an opener...
It takes a player with a particular mindset to come out and face an opening test attack in the first six overs, say. Oh, just realised he's been doing that virtually every innings for the last couple of years.....

Malan desperately unlucky to get that LBW verdict. With his and Leach's duck it's 52 for the year for England with power to add. Leach should have had a stumping, but we chose the eleventh best keeper in the land once again (I'm being generous in that assessment) who also dropped Smith off Anderson, which Smith usually makes pay. I expect that spurred Jimmy on to scatter his stumps. How many buried bodies must Buttler know the location of to continue getting picked? Or is he some Freemason Grand Master or such rubbish?

birchesgreen

Established Member
It takes a player with a particular mindset to come out and face an opening test attack in the first six overs, say. Oh, just realised he's been doing that virtually every innings for the last couple of years.....
Exactly, might as well make it official! :lol:

Pakenhamtrain

Stokes could have been out. Law says you must be ready to face in 3 minutes. Stokes took 3 minutes 6 seconds.

Boland holy hell what bowling.

SCOTT BOLAND WHAT A VICTORIAN!

6 WICKETS!

It's all over. England have been slaughtered

Last edited: