• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In the domestic first-class match between Essex and Ireland, it is the middle order batsmen who have contributed much in the match. Essex batted first and scored 343 all out with number six Das scoring 132 with 1 x 6 and 21 x 4.

Ireland's top order failed and at one stage were 65-5 at the end of the 26th over. Then their middle order tuned matters around:-
Number six Stirling ... 107 with 2 x 6 and 11 x 4
Number seven Tucker ... 97 with 3 x 6 and 15 x 4
Number eight McBrine ... 67 with 14 x 4
Ireland at the time of writing had reached 377-8 after 82 overs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
In the domestic first-class match between Essex and Ireland, it is the middle order batsmen who have contributed much in the match. Essex batted first and scored 343 all out with number six Das scoring 132 with 1 x 6 and 21 x 4.

Ireland's top order failed and at one stage were 65-5 at the end of the 26th over. Then their middle order tuned matters around:-
Number six Stirling ... 107 with 2 x 6 and 11 x 4
Number seven Tucker ... 97 with 3 x 6 and 15 x 4
Number eight McBrine ... 67 with 14 x 4
Ireland at the time of writing had reached 377-8 after 82 overs.
it's an 'honorary' match from Essex's viewpoint, with their first X1 providing the opener Browne as captain and the rest of the side filled with a mix of second Xi and Ireland players. Chelmsford has recently hosted Ireland v Bangladesh ODIs, the results of which force Ireland to enter a further qualifying round in order to take part in this autumn's World Cup.

Mikey C

Established Member
it's an 'honorary' match from Essex's viewpoint, with their first X1 providing the opener Browne as captain and the rest of the side filled with a mix of second Xi and Ireland players. Chelmsford has recently hosted Ireland v Bangladesh ODIs, the results of which force Ireland to enter a further qualifying round in order to take part in this autumn's World Cup.
I assume Sir Alastair chose to muck out the farm animals instead!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Is that how George Dockrell managed to play against his own country for Essex?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
How would the current Ireland team fare as a team in the County Championship?

The Essex team had the four Irish players who were not chosen to play in the Ireland team, as the team management wanted all 15 squad players to be involved in this match.

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
How would the current Ireland team fare as a team in the County Championship?

The Essex team had the four Irish players who were not chosen to play in the Ireland team, as the team management wanted all 15 squad players to be involved in this match.
I can't answer your question, but thanks for the clarification.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Probably better than Northants are currently doing!
I'd agree with that - at full strength they might well achieve a position at the top end of Division 2. Worcestershire might be the nearest comparison imo, though Stirling might well outscore Pollock. Speaking of Worcs, Josh Tongue the pace bowler might well get a debut for England against Ireland.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In the T20 match between Glamorgan and Middlesex, Chris Cooke of Glamorgan batting at number five came in to bat with the score at 51-3 and reached his century in only 38 balls faced and was 113 not out at the end of the 20th over, having taken Glamorgan to a total of 238-3, scoring 7 x 6 and 12 x 4.

Helm bowling for Middlesex suffered as a result of that batting and had a bowling return of 4 - 0 - 69 - 0.

Mikey C

Established Member
I reckon the test match between England and and Ireland will be pretty one sided affair based on how it is going so far. Does anyone know why it is a 4 day match rather than 5?
Probably because unless there's serious rain, it'll barely last 3 days!

HST43257

Established Member
On Day 1 of the Test, Ireland were bowled out for 172 (Broad 5-51, Leach 3-35, Potts 2-36) before England made a Bazball style 152-1 (Crawley 56, Duckett 60*, Pope 29*). A couple of decent Ireland partnerships but no batter passed 36. No wicket on debut so far for Josh Tongue, who averaged around 87mph but at one point hit 91mph.

Elsewhere, I attended the Headingley Roses T20 fixture last night. Lancs put out an all star international team featuring Buttler, Salt, Mitchell, Livingstone and de Grandhomme, plus quality county players like Croft, Wells, Hartley, L Wood, Bailey and Parkinson. Yorks, without Bairstow, Root, Brook and Rashid, made 195-6, mainly thanks to Lyth’s (32) and Malan’s (83) taking down of Luke Wood (0/55), who we now know can’t bowl to left handers. Opening partnership was 88 after 9 overs, but then de Grandhomme (3-24) and Mitchell (2-33) took back some control. In reply Lancs lost Buttler for 1 to Bess (2-19 (2)) and no batter got fully going as bowlers took regular wickets thanks mostly to Mike (2-31(3)), but crucially 2-10 (2), and Wiese (2-31). The Yorks bowlers were shaky as usual at times, but crucially did enough together to keep the required rate high and pressure on as Lancs made 180-8. They could’ve got close and potentially won if Luke Wood hadn’t run out Tom Hartley (39) who was striking it really well and looking really good to bring Lancs home.

In the other Blast games, Simon Harmer (4-28) took a hattrick as Sussex made 138/10 in reply to Essex’s 163/7 (Khushi 55), and Wayne Madsen made 109* as Derbys made 189/5 (Rehan Ahmed 2-20). In reply Colin Ackermann (59*) and Rehan Ahmed (28*) couldn’t quite make the target as they managed 187/5.

As a Yorks and England fan I can call yesterday a good day’s cricket.

Harvester

Established Member
Probably because unless there's serious rain, it'll barely last 3 days!
And it ended comfortably within 3 days! Stokes however seemed to be in a lot of discomfort on the field, doesn’t appear fully fit and the start of the Ashes is only two weeks away.

HST43257

Established Member
And it ended comfortably within 3 days! Stokes however seemed to be in a lot of discomfort on the field, doesn’t appear fully fit and the start of the Ashes is only two weeks away.
Showing discomfort in his single involvement in the match - no bat, no bowl, 1 catch, some very good captaincy and some very questionable.

Meanwhile after around 5 games per team in the T20 Blast, Somerset and Worcestershire have won all their games, whilst Leicestershire and Middlesex have lost all of theirs. Sam Hain and James Vince lighting up the competition - Hain and Tom Abell have the opportunity to force themselves into England teams in all formats for a few years, except there are very few spaces for these 27ish year olds.

HST43257

Established Member
Another injured bowler! I wonder if Moeen Ali can be enticed back for the Ashes?
Hope not, for all his semi decency in white ball cricket, his Test bowling has been poorer than anything I’ve seen especially at home, whether it be what happened vs Ireland and Australia in 2019 or his return in 2021 vs India, not to mention his zero first class action otherwise.

Rehan and Jacks aren’t good enough yet, Parkinson has fallen out with Lancs and has no variation, Livingstone can’t turn it.

Liam Dawson just took a 6-fer in the Champ?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Showing discomfort in his single involvement in the match - no bat, no bowl, 1 catch, some very good captaincy and some very questionable.

But yet another record - the first Test captain ever to win a match without batting, bowling, or keeping wicket.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
But yet another record - the first Test captain ever to win a match without batting, bowling, or keeping wicket.
More than that, the first test captain to finish a match never having batted, bowled or kept wicket. Now, if he can achieve the former just the once over the next few weeks I'll really be impressed!

SteveM70

Established Member
Moeen Ali to join England squad as a replacement for Jack Leach.

Absolutely disgraceful decision, from at least three perspectives.

1 - he hasn’t played any red ball cricket for years, so won’t be properly prepared

2 - it basically sticks two fingers up at every else who’s grafted on the county circuit

3 - he chose to walk away and showed no loyalty at all

(Oh, and his test record is pretty ordinary too)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
3 - he chose to walk away and showed no loyalty at all
Whilst I don't necessarily disagree with you on points 1 and 2 (he hasn't played red ball since 2021 and it does rather ignore talents on the domestic circuit who have played first class cricket over the last two years!) I find this one frankly a little bizarre.

He retired from Test matches (where he was a little ordinary) to focus on white ball cricket where he has been much more successful and prolong his career in that format of the game (he is after all days away from 36 so getting up their in cricketing terms!). I'm not quite sure what you mean by "no loyalty" when his action was to help prolong his playing career!!

SteveM70

Established Member
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "no loyalty" when his action was to help prolong his playing career!!

To prolong his career in the most lucrative forms. If the IPL didn’t exist he wouldn’t have stopped playing red ball cricket. But he’s good mates with Ben Stokes

stantheman

On Moderation
Can’t believe folk think England will win the ashes . Aus are absolutely frightening with bat and ball . Best top six in the world . Head probably best batsman in the world at the moment . Green an all rounder of terrifying ability . England’s top 3 are walking wickets . Root has done nothing against Aus . Stokes walking wounded . Bairstuw May never be the same player , Brook could fade into obscurity . Hope I am wrong .

HST43257

Established Member
For me it was a toss up between him and Liam Dawson. Both are good batters, and somehow I feel this is a good move to get Moeen going with the bat and the ball before the 50 Over World Cup. Obviously the wrong way to do so but it may be a side reason for choosing Moeen over Dawson. Picking Dawson would’ve been the ”faith in the county system” move and it is a bit of a shame not to see it.

Anyone else is too young and inexperienced, so if they got hit the park a career could be ruined before it’s started. However, in the unlikely event that we saw England win the Ashes after 4 tests, we could see a Rehan Ahmed or a Will Jacks in the 5th test, however we wouldn’t want them to end up like Simon Kerrigan!

County spinners should be looking towards the India tour this winter. Who will we see there? I would pick Leach and Parkinson for no.11 spot, plus Will Jacks, Rehan Ahmed and Liam Dawson for no.8 spot. That being said, shame to see Parkinson not in the Lancs side because of some fallout or something - may be derailing his career totally.

SteveM70

Established Member
County spinners should be looking towards the India tour this winter. Who will we see there? I would pick Leach and Parkinson for no.11 spot, plus Will Jacks, Rehan Ahmed and Liam Dawson for no.8 spot. That being said, shame to see Parkinson not in the Lancs side because of some fallout or something - may be derailing his career totally.

Parkinson's brother is a better bowler, and he can't get into Leicestershire's red ball team

HST43257

Established Member
Parkinson's brother is a better bowler, and he can't get into Leicestershire's red ball team
Matt’s issue issue is that he has no variations. He could do with a quicker ball and at a push a googly. There’s very few left arm spinners I can get too excited about, and Callum Parkinson is absolutely one I can’t claim to hold in too high regard