• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Northants have finally realised that it is good to score more than 200 in an innings, albeit nearly an entire season too late.....
Essex were given a good trouncing today: only better thing would have been the same result for Surrey, but then they are the Manchester City of cricket with resources far beyond the norm. They were able to 'bring in' both Will Jacks and Jamie Smith mid-match too, a very dubious and unfair practice imo.

Mikey C

Established Member
The slightly odd thing was that Jacks was able to play from Wednesday, whereas elsewhere the England players didn't arrived until today.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
For how many years has this practice been operational in County Championship matches.
It's only just come about as far as I know, as an extension to the right to withdraw a player from a county side mid-match because he was needed by the England team, but this all sounds a step too far for me, potentially impacting final championshlp places and thereby promotion/relegation too.

I'm pleased that my team, Kent, did not replace Compton with Crawley as had been suggested, though it probably wasn't a decision based on altruism.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I'm pleased that my team, Kent, did not replace Compton with Crawley as had been suggested, though it probably wasn't a decision based on altruism.
The current Kent v Lancashire County Championship match now after three days play is quite a good one for stroke play with both sides having a century-maker in their first innings, with Kent taking a healthy first innings lead which Lancashire made inroads into with a good unbeaten century opening stand at the start of their second innings.

HST43257

Established Member
Some teams effectively used the England subs as impact players (IPL style) in a way, given that for example Hartley and Jacks both came in for pace bowlers or batters, with the pitch turning more as the game went on. This seems unfair and whilst I think they should be allowed to be introduced part way into the game, it should be as like-for-like as possible. Will Jacks and Cam Steel took 9 wickets in the second innings but Jacks really ought to have replaced Steel.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I am pleased that Kent have retained their First Division status rather than Middlesex in the County Championship. It was quite a good four-day match against Lancashire with both teams putting useful stands together when it mattered.
Lancashire still have only one defeat in Division One, but have drawn more matches than any other team in the division (the inclement summer weather being responsible for a number of these).

Mikey C

Established Member
The extraordinary thing about yesterday was that Birmingham overnight had so much rain that there was no play possible at Edgbaston at all. If that rain had fallen 50 miles NE in Nottingham, then any chance of Middlesex trying to get a win would have gone, and Kent fans like myself would have had a much less stressful day :D

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The extraordinary thing about yesterday was that Birmingham overnight had so much rain that there was no play possible at Edgbaston at all. If that rain had fallen 50 miles NE in Nottingham, then any chance of Middlesex trying to get a win would have gone, and Kent fans like myself would have had a much less stressful day :D
Yes, it was nail-biting stuff, worsened for me by not being able to get the commentary live from Nottingham. The time Notts took to get those last few runs was unbelievable, though Stuart Robson seemed to be on a one-man mission to achieve Middlesex's safety, and it must have been gut-wrenching for him that it didn't happen. Ironic too that Montgomery of Notts, in a generally poor season for him, guided the batting side to victory just as he'd done to thwart Kent at Canterbury quite recently.

Typhoon

Established Member
Yes, it was nail-biting stuff, worsened for me by not being able to get the commentary live from Nottingham. The time Notts took to get those last few runs was unbelievable, though Stuart Robson seemed to be on a one-man mission to achieve Middlesex's safety, and it must have been gut-wrenching for him that it didn't happen. Ironic too that Montgomery of Notts, in a generally poor season for him, guided the batting side to victory just as he'd done to thwart Kent at Canterbury quite recently.
Just as J Denly Snr came good when he needed to.

I reckon it will be pretty competitive next year - Durham will be no push overs.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Just as J Denly Snr came good when he needed to.

I reckon it will be pretty competitive next year - Durham will be no push overs.
Absolutely, it should have been 'last chance saloon' for Denly Snr in my view and, as you say, he did come good. The present bowling squad is imo though the worst in the First Division by some way, and possibly of all 18 county teams. We desperately need to spend money now on recruiting an overseas top class fast bowler who'll be available for more than just two or three championship matches, somebody like Matt Henry or Neser, rather than somebody nearly at the end of their career like Michael Hogan, good man though he is. Darren Stevens might well have been looking on, thinking ''well, I'd have done better than that.'' Joey Evison has been disappointing too, but hopefully next year...

Mikey C

Established Member
Absolutely, it should have been 'last chance saloon' for Denly Snr in my view and, as you say, he did come good. The present bowling squad is imo though the worst in the First Division by some way, and possibly of all 18 county teams. We desperately need to spend money now on recruiting an overseas top class fast bowler who'll be available for more than just two or three championship matches, somebody like Matt Henry or Neser, rather than somebody nearly at the end of their career like Michael Hogan, good man though he is. Darren Stevens might well have been looking on, thinking ''well, I'd have done better than that.'' Joey Evison has been disappointing too, but hopefully next year...
Wes Agar will return next year, and be available for the start of the season.

I was watching the livestream, and it was agony, especially as a tie with all 20 wickets gone would have kept Middlesex up. I did wonder earlier in the day if the script had been written that Jake Ball in his final match for Notts would score the winning run, and he did :D

SteveM70

Established Member
Chris Wright has given back word to Sussex and has decided to stay at Leicestershire for two more seasons

Fantastic news for us

Presumably he doesn’t want to be part of such a horrible culture

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Chris Wright has given back word to Sussex and has decided to stay at Leicestershire for two more seasons

Fantastic news for us

Presumably he doesn’t want to be part of such a horrible culture
He cited 'family reasons' but I'm inclined to share your view. He's done well for Leics this season, and it could be that he is one player who gained from the changes at the top mid-season.

SteveM70

Established Member
He cited 'family reasons' but I'm inclined to share your view. He's done well for Leics this season, and it could be that he is one player who gained from the changes at the top mid-season.

Yes, possibly.

I'm a bit conflicted about Paul Nixon and his influence on the squad - I've had some dealings with him over the years and he's unfailingly been polite, thoughtful, helpful, and gone way above and beyond what might reasonably be expected of him. Last time I saw him was at Worcester back in May, when a thunder storm caused an early end to play and left me wondering how I was going to get back to where I was staying without getting soaked. He asked me what my plan was, and when I shrugged he booked me an Uber on his own account and refused to take any money for it.

Having said that, the dressing room seems to be a lot happier than it was, although of course some of that might be the result of a bit of success, and he could argue he laid the foundations for that.

I'm sure more will come out over the coming months

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Yes, possibly.

I'm a bit conflicted about Paul Nixon and his influence on the squad - I've had some dealings with him over the years and he's unfailingly been polite, thoughtful, helpful, and gone way above and beyond what might reasonably be expected of him. Last time I saw him was at Worcester back in May, when a thunder storm caused an early end to play and left me wondering how I was going to get back to where I was staying without getting soaked. He asked me what my plan was, and when I shrugged he booked me an Uber on his own account and refused to take any money for it.

Having said that, the dressing room seems to be a lot happier than it was, although of course some of that might be the result of a bit of success, and he could argue he laid the foundations for that.

I'm sure more will come out over the coming months
That's interesting, and accords with quite a bit I've read about him over the years. I've never had any personal dealings, and I admit to having some disquiet when he moved as a player to my county Kent because I thought we had a better keeper. Be that as it may, he's always done his very best, which is the most you can do, and I became a fan.

He's had quite a bit of success in franchise cricket as coach, etc, but has seemed to divide people about his capabilities, style, etc. His time may come again!

Harvester

Established Member
England to bat first in the first WC fixture, after New Zealand win the toss. Stokes is not playing due to a slight hip injury!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
England to bat first in the first WC fixture, after New Zealand win the toss. Stokes is not playing due to a slight hip injury!
Given he was never going to bowl, it wouldn't have made a difference to the debacle.

GS250

Credit to NZ for some extremely aggressive and positive batting. Our bowling attack just looked so impotent though and looked anything but a World Cup winning attack.

However England just never really got going early on in their innings and seemed to play more traditional 1 day cricket of 5 an over as opposed to 'Bazball'.

Harvester

Established Member
England were thrashed. New Zealand won with fourteen overs and nine wickets in hand, and could have comfortably scored a further hundred runs!

scarby

I expect England to be destroyed at this World Cup. Not only does it come after a busy period of playing in England for many of the players, but they have made almost no preparation. For the 2019 World Cup they made 4 years' preparation, down to the finest detail, with a plan of how to win it.

JD2168

At the Cricket World Cup in Ahmedabad in India, India have beaten Pakistan by 7 wickets. Pakistan scored 191 all out in 42.5 overs with India getting the required score after 30.3 overs.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
At the Cricket World Cup in Ahmedabad in India, India have beaten Pakistan by 7 wickets. Pakistan scored 191 all out in 42.5 overs with India getting the required score after 30.3 overs.
So many one-sided matches so far, I'm not really regretting the absence of TV viewing to the non-subscriber. If India don't make the final, I'll be mighty surprised. My other picks for semi-finalists are New Zealand, South Africa and Pakistan, though I'm not ruling out Australia just yet. Have to say I think England stand little chance, though one can never tell when Ben Stokes might produce one of his Superman efforts. I just can't place much faith in our bowlers, though Topley for one will strain his sinews.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
A most amazing world record in Women's T20 international matches.

Argentina 427-1 (20 overs)
Lucia Taylor 169 from 84 balls
Albertina Galan 145 not out from 84 balls
(Opening stand of 350)

Chile 63 all out (15 overs)

Argentina win by 364 runs

Harvester

Established Member
England have won the toss and are going to bowl first against Afghanistan. Stokes is again missing from their line-up!