• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

HST43257

Established Member
An amazing morning of Test cricket! Very happy for Shamar Joseph, he looks really promising. Somehow slightly funny to see Steve Smith stranded on 91 as his team collapse around him. Meanwhile, Tom Hartley has now recovered his Test bowling average to 28.6 which is good to see. And I’m very happy for Ollie Pope, only a shame he didn’t make 200. I’d absolutely love for England to win this from the position they were in.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
I'm listening to the cricket on the radio, but it's not a pleasant experience because the "commentators" spend their time shouting at me, without telling me what's going on. They forget that they can see the action whereas I can't. It's pretty dire, albeit slightly better than nothing.
There's a South African TV "commentator" who shouts all the time also. Richie Benaud is turning in his grave.

Purple Train

Established Member
I stand humbled and corrected. It has been a brilliant bowling display given what happened in the first innings. Well played Tom Hartley, to come back from the first innings like that!

Amazing!

DelW

Established Member
Wow, what a finish, and what a turn-around for England in general and Tom Hartley in particular, with 7 for 62 in India's second innings. I didn't believe it was possible until it happened!

Following Windies beating Australia, it's a while since I've enjoyed two results on the same day quite so much.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the series much more than I was after day one.

I'm listening to the cricket on the radio, but it's not a pleasant experience because the "commentators" spend their time shouting at me, without telling me what's going on. They forget that they can see the action whereas I can't. It's pretty dire, albeit slightly better than nothing.
There's a South African TV "commentator" who shouts all the time also. Richie Benaud is turning in his grave.
Agreed, I find the Talksport commentary much too loud and excitable. Quite often, after a ball has been played, the commentators are so over-excited that I can't tell what's actually happened, e.g. was it a catch or a boundary? I tend to keep a text feed open as well, to help keep track.

SteveHFC

Agree on the TalkSport commentary - it's appalling, far too much shouting. Roll on the summer and the return of TMS and the county cricket commentaries.

Superb by Tom Hartley this morning - other commitments meant I just heard bits on the radio - but it just goes to show that we shouldn't judge on first impressions. Was delighted this morning when I woke up to see that Ollie Pope and the tail had added another 100+ runs.

Be interesting now to see how the series progresses.

DelW

Established Member
At the time of writing this Alex Hartley is proving rather a better batter than bowler in assisting Ollie Pope to make a game of it.
Tom, not Alex. Alex is the better looking one ;), but has now retired from international cricket.

Howardh

Established Member
Well, from being carted all over the pitch to now being called "Hitman Hartley" what a turn-around. Full marks to Stokes for keeping the faith in him, dunno who got Man Of the Match but it could either be Hartley (seven-for) or Pope (big ton) but it was Pope's innings that gave England the chance to bowl them out.

Hartley is now bound to get the rest of the series, will England's gain be Lancashire's loss this season?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
What can you say? Two superb test comebacks while you're sleeping through them, and turn on the computer to see two results without knowing who's won. Check Brisbane first and realise Shamar Joseph has gone through the Aussies like a dose of salts, then, thinking India must have made short work of those runs for the game to be over, discover a miracle has happened. Cue absolute humble pie on my part. Isn't cricket, and specifically test cricket, the most amazing game possible?

If ever a 'man of the match' was made to be shared, this was it. Hartley or Pope, how do you separate them?

Jimini

Established Member
If ever a 'man of the match' was made to be shared, this was it. Hartley or Pope, how do you separate them?

Pope for me, just. If it weren't for his 196 in the second innings, we wouldn't have had the runs in the bank for Hartley to be able to get his 7'fer in India's second innings. Both sublime performances nonetheless!

Howardh

Established Member
Pope for me, just. If it weren't for his 196 in the second innings, we wouldn't have had the runs in the bank for Hartley to be able to get his 7'fer in India's second innings. Both sublime performances nonetheless!
Should be a joint award, two outstanding performances.

HST43257

Established Member
Jack Leach has been ruled out of the second test with a knee injury.
Bashir likely to come in, but it means England will certainly play a pacer. It seems Eng had been considering a full spin attack! I wonder which pacer will play.

Should be a joint award, two outstanding performances.
How about a Most Valuable and a Most Improved!

HST43257

Established Member
Where does the England team now stand in the most recent table of international teams?
ICC Rankings
Test: 3rd
ODI: 6th
T20I: 3rd

England very low in Test Championship table (very early stages) due to slow over rate fines in the Ashes.

SteveHFC

Day one of the 2nd test in India done - a decent day by all accounts. Have had the second two sessions on in the background whilst working. A decent day for England having lost the toss on what is apparently a batting track. Could all hinge on how we bat - if we can avoid the errors the India batters have made and get a first innings lead, who knows what may happen. India obviously have a clear advantage bowling last. First test showed us never to discount England at the moment.

Jimmy Anderson - superb, going for 30 runs in 17 overs. 41 years old and still going. Long may that continue.

Pakenhamtrain

The first ODI between Australia and the West Indies has been completed at the MCG infront of nearly 17,000 fans. Australia won by 8 wickets

Australia won the toss and elected to bowl first.

WI 231 off 48.4 overs.
Aus 2/232 off 38.3 overs.

Pakenhamtrain

When will Aus learn to either get fans in or spread cricket around to better sized grounds.
We don't really have smaller grounds to play in. All the major cricket grounds(MCG, SCG, Gabba, Adelaide Oval, Optus Stadium) are dual use stadiums. They get used for AFL which brings in the crowds.

During this ODI and T20 series every cricket ground gets a game. Even Canberra and Hobart.

The reality is ODIs aren't popular anymore. Let alone against the Windies.

T20s are more family friendly product.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Jimmy Anderson - superb, going for 30 runs in 17 overs. 41 years old and still going. Long may that continue.
He it was who eventually dismissed the Indian double centurion opener and finished with a bowling return of 25 - 4 - 47 - 3. India all out for 396.

England 1st innings after 41 overs are 180-6.

Jasprit Bumrah like Jimmy Anderson can still get something from seam bowling on this batting track and currently has figures of 12 - 5 - 36 - 3.

UPDATE......

England went from being 114-1 to 253 all out in less than 56 overs.

Bumrah showed that top-class pace bowling on this track is still effective and had a final bowling return of 15.5 - 5 - 45 - 6.

Last edited:

Harvester

Established Member
India will be setting England a large total to win this Test. They are 340 ahead with 6 second innings wickets remaining.