• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Indeed it was, and I'll wager it wont be bettered for years or even decades to come.
If Lord's keeps on producing wickets like the current one, I'd almost wager it will be!

Interesting that Sam Northeast has never seemed to be near Test selection. He's had a penchant for big centuries since the beginning and left Kent for Hampshire in the mistaken belief it would enhance his attraction to the selectors. He likes Lord's too, making a matchwinning one day final innings for Hants against his old side Kent. Since he moved to Glamorgan he has of course, for those who may not know, scored a quadruple century as well as the triple. I used to think he might get to be Jonathan Trott's heir to the no.3 batting spot in the England team, but Glamorgan haven't provided a player to the national team since Simon Jones, so unlikely now.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Interesting that Sam Northeast has never seemed to be near Test selection. He's had a penchant for big centuries since the beginning and left Kent for Hampshire in the mistaken belief it would enhance his attraction to the selectors. He likes Lord's too, making a matchwinning one day final innings for Hants against his old side Kent. Since he moved to Glamorgan he has of course, for those who may not know, scored a quadruple century as well as the triple.
20th-23rd July 2022 at Grace Road. Leicestershire batted first and scored a total of 584 all out. Glamorgan then batted, losing two quick wickets then Sam Northeast came in to bat. He was involved in two good stands, the second one being a notable unbroken stand of 461 with Chris Cooke, in which Sam Northeast at the time of declaration of 795-5 declared had scored 410 not out (3 x 6 and 45 x 4) and Chris Cooke had scored 191 not out (3 x 6 and 19 x 4).

Leicestershire second innings only accumulated 183 all out and Glamorgan won by an innings and 28 runs.

75A

Established Member
See Joe Root didn't last long in his first County Championship game for Yorkshire in two years. He was lbw to Zaman Akhtar for 2, batting @ 4.

75A

Established Member
Plenty of 100's toaday:
Dean Elgar 120 & Matt Critchley 103 not out for Essex v Kent.
Joe Clarke 105 for Notts v Worcs.
Tom Lammonby 100 for Somerset v Surrey
Robert Yates 191 & Alex Davies 226 not out for Warwickshire v Durham. They had a 1st innings wicket partnership of 343.
Shan Masood 140 for Yorks v Gloucs.
Emilio Gay 165 for Northants v Middlesex

PauloDavesi

Warwickshire players doing well against durham isn't unusual, I remember a Warwicks left hander get 501 not out, and even Keith Piper managed to get a century at the other end.

Harvester

Established Member
Warwickshire players doing well against durham isn't unusual, I remember a Warwicks left hander get 501 not out, and even Keith Piper managed to get a century at the other end.
Doesn’t look like Warwickshire were interested in getting a result in that match! So Lara holds the highest County Championship score record (501 not out), along with the highest (400 not out) Test score record.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Doesn’t look like Warwickshire were interested in getting a result in that match! So Lara holds the highest County Championship score record (501 not out), along with the highest (400 not out) Test score record.
He almost didn't make it to 500 - it was the last possible over of the match. The reaction I remember seeing on TV, the only Durham player who congratulated Lara was John Morris, an affable fellow: Lara's batting partner never bothered either, on the pitch at least. I've always regretted never being present when he batted. His Test record score overtook Matthew Hayden's then record of 380, I think, against Zimbabwe scored not too long before, which was unworthy imo to be sat at the top of the tree.

High Dyke

Established Member
There has been some debate regarding the trial use of a Kookaburra ball in the second round of county matches. The theory has been to help players prepare for Ashes tours to Australia. No it could be argued that the ball, which reportedly doesn't swing or seam as much as a Dukes ball may not be suitable for April conditions in England. Is it suppose to help batters or bowlers? Looking at scores in this weeks matches then it's probably difficult to ascertain whom exactly the ball is benefitting.

Meanwhile, Nottinghamshire suffered another mid-order batting collapse to go from 125/1 to 144/7, though they did recover to end day three without any further losses. Stand out performance was a triple-wicket Maiden for the Kiwi, Nathan Smith, who then followed it with another wicket in his next over. Seemingly the ghosts of last weeks 80 all out came back to haunt Nottinghamshire players.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Thing is though, even despite the really high batting scores is that if the weather holds tommorow, a lot of games should finish with either wins or losses. The fact there is a chance that the Warwickshure-Durham game and Essex Kent game could end with Warwickshire and Essex winning is quite impressive.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
There has been some debate regarding the trial use of a Kookaburra ball in the second round of county matches. The theory has been to help players prepare for Ashes tours to Australia. No it could be argued that the ball, which reportedly doesn't swing or seam as much as a Dukes ball may not be suitable for April conditions in England. Is it suppose to help batters or bowlers? Looking at scores in this weeks matches then it's probably difficult to ascertain whom exactly the ball is benefitting.
According to Michael Atherton it is meant to encourage both spin and true pace bowlers, rather than the medium and medium fast bowlers so many English counties produce. Whether early April is a suitable time to be conducting it is another matter!

Purple Train

Established Member
According to Michael Atherton it is meant to encourage both spin and true pace bowlers, rather than the medium and medium fast bowlers so many English counties produce. Whether early April is a suitable time to be conducting it is another matter!
Indeed, but for two things:

1) The ball works in tandem with the conditions. English Aprils are very different from Australian Decembers.
2) I'd argue it's gone too far the other way. The aggregate of 1,105-8 in the Northants-Middlesex match is ridiculous.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Warwickshire finally made their expected declaration, but not until they had taken their score onto 698-3, which meant Durham has to pass 549 to avoid the follow-on. Durham closed day two on 178-3 in reply.

Now that the match has been drawn I'm happy to talk about it :lol:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Now that the match has been drawn I'm happy to talk about it :lol:
Two new world First Class cricket records were set in this game. Durham's first innings total of 517 was the highest ever by a team then required to follow on; Warwickshire's top three batters scored at least 178 runs each, the previous record being 147. All that put into perspective imo by the comment by Elizabeth Ammon in the Times that there was a ludicrously short boundary on one side. I think this at a Test ground is totally unacceptable, especially in a form of the game where more points are available for scoring runs quickly than there are for bowling sides out.

Now time to talk about Kent, of which I was a member for most of Derek Underwood's illustrious career. Kent were expected to win things in those days, and they obliged with one trophy or another every two or three years. How different to now, where Kent seem to let so many talented players go, both homegrown and overseas, and then buy in duds who don't even perform averagely. Also, why is Crawley not playing? Duckett has turned out in both of Notts games, as have Pope, Lawrence, Foakes and Brook for their respective counties, and even Joe Root in the latest Yorks game. I have hopes of Evison, but even he'll struggle to emulate Darren Stevens, and wasn't playing in their current game.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Yes just seen that on the 6.30 news. Very sad. He was unplayable at times.
Geoffrey Boycott has always been an astute observer of the game and his assessment of 'Deadly' won't be beaten in my estimation. Above all, he's right that no batter ever 'got hold' of his bowling, even in the one day games and the Kerry Packer series. He was certainly the best slow left arm bowler in England service since before WW2 and Hedley Verity. Kent also produced England's best postwar leggie in Dougie Wright, who I believe I saw in action when I was very young, but I don't remember it.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Yet another series of draws in D2. Why is the County Championship, the only domestic cricket which counts, being played in early April just to accommodate cretin cricket in the summer? The sport is run by barmpots who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

And why are some games being played with the Kookaburra ball, which helped Gloucestershire bat day 4 out yesterday, and others with the Dukes ball?

GoneSouth

Yet another series of draws in D2. Why is the County Championship, the only domestic cricket which counts, being played in early April just to accommodate cretin cricket in the summer? The sport is run by barmpots who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

And why are some games being played with the Kookaburra ball, which helped Gloucestershire bat day 4 out yesterday, and others with the Dukes ball?
I think you know the answer to that, without the ‘Cretin Cricket’ the game would disappear altogether as there’s no money in one man and his dog watching for example Leicestershire draw with Gloucestershire after 3 days of rain. Wouldn’t you rather have the short form support the CC rather than it disappear into history. Running a county cricket ground can’t be cheap and there’s a wage bill to pay.

Incidentally, does anybody know what a professional cricketer gets paid at county level these days? I’m sure they’re financially better off now they have all the white ball stuff with big crowds and tv money.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing better than watching a 5 day test match and the world would be a worse place without first class cricket but we have to be realistic and accept at county level it doesn’t pay the bills anymore.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I think you know the answer to that, without the ‘Cretin Cricket’ the game would disappear altogether as there’s no money in one man and his dog watching for example Leicestershire draw with Gloucestershire after 3 days of rain. Wouldn’t you rather have the short form support the CC rather than it disappear into history
I often wonder how the better-organised County Cricket teams not only have a large membership who pay their annual subscriptions, but also use their ground area to host large events of different types.