• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross Country to Leeds, Saturday evening 10th Sept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugby

Established Member
The last two Cross Country services Northbound to Leeds on Saturday evening never reached their intended destination.
The 1627 HST set from Plymouth was terminated at Birmingham due to no guard being available for the onward journey at 2003.
The 2103 from Birmingham was terminated at Sheffield for the same reason. Presumably the passengers off the HST had been told to wait at BHM for the 2103.
The only option I can see when that reached Sheffield would have been the last Northern all stops service to Leeds via Barnsley which must have been an awful experience (if you know, you know!) arriving in Leeds just before midnight.

I'm concerned about this because I'm intending to use the 2003 ex-BHM on a couple of occasions next month. If it were cancelled on my dates, there's a slim possibility I may be able to make alternative arrangements, depending on how much notice is given. Does anyone know when it would have been known that the HST from Plymouth would need to terminate at BHM and when the information would have been given out?
Also, is there usually a crew (or guard) change at Sheffield on the last XC train? I've used it before and can't say I've ever noticed one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
The last two Cross Country services Northbound to Leeds on Saturday evening never reached their intended destination.
The 1627 HST set from Plymouth was terminated at Birmingham due to no guard being available for the onward journey at 2003.
The 2103 from Birmingham was terminated at Sheffield for the same reason. Presumably the passengers off the HST had been told to wait at BHM for the 2103.
The only option I can see when that reached Sheffield would have been the last Northern all stops service to Leeds via Barnsley which must have been an awful experience (if you know, you know!) arriving in Leeds just before midnight.

I'm concerned about this because I'm intending to use the 2003 ex-BHM on a couple of occasions next month. If it were cancelled on my dates, there's a slim possibility I may be able to make alternative arrangements, depending on how much notice is given. Does anyone know when it would have been known that the HST from Plymouth would need to terminate at BHM and when the information would have been given out?
Also, is there usually a crew (or guard) change at Sheffield on the last XC train? I've used it before and can't say I've ever noticed one.

No disrespect to CrossCountry (given my positive experience in the past) but probably at quite short notice the 16:27 from Plymouth would have been known it was terminating at Birmingham New Street typically.

I know one thing - CrossCountry need to sort out the staff shortage issue fast!
Cancelling 2 Leeds bound services is bad enough but on a Saturday evening is crazy given the potential for a train literally full of loud passengers!

LCC106

Established Member
The lack of availability of train crew can be for a number of reasons. Late to station on a delayed service, which would then take them over their hours, last minute sickness, assault, operational incident etc. I’m not sure how far in advance they would know the foreseen circumstances to notify passengers of any issues.

Mugby

Established Member
Same again tonight (17th) with the 2003 Birmingham to Leeds being terminated at Derby. The 2103 from Birmingham is apparently running so just an extra hour to wait for passengers from BHM or DBY going north!

Rather more seriously though, the last train to Plymouth has been terminated at Birmingham. What will happen to anyone wanting Bristol, Exeter or Plymouth this evening?

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Earlier in the week Cross Country had to terminate the last direct Edinburgh to Plymouth Voyager at Birmingham New Street. Passenger advice was to get the hour later Cross Country train to Bristol Temple Meads. Passengers travelling south of Bristol were told to get the 23:05 stopper from there to Exeter and a further change(!) at Exeter for Newton Abbot or Plymouth.

Why those going to Newton Abbot or Plymouth were unnecessarily told to go from Bristol to Exeter for a train which also called at Bristol Temple Meads I'm not sure.

Also the GWR Plymouth train wasn't booked to call at Totnes so anyone for Totnes would have apparently been given road transport upon their arrival at Newton Abbot.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member

I was caught up in this as I originally intended to get into Leeds before getting whatever the next one is to Huddersfield. Instead, I had to change at Derby and again in Sheffield. I've got to say by the time I got home it was around 3.30am.

Status
Not open for further replies.