• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross-London query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave W

Hi. I'm on my way back from Reading on an Anytime Day Single Reading-Finsbury Park.

I've got plans to go down to St James's Park to meet some friends before continuing home.

I'm resigned to having to pay for all journeys after Paddington, but on the off chance: is there a way I can use the final bit of the ticket without returning to Paddington?

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

freddie1729

Your ticket would be valid on the following route: Reading - Paddington - Blackfriars (via circle line) - Finsbury Park. You could use your ticket to St James's Park, breaking your London transfer journey. Then you could use Oyster for the remaining trip to Finsbury Park.

The rules around this are here: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46587.aspx#travelling_connect

You can't use the tube again once you've broken your transfer journey, but you could use National Rail from King's Cross/St Pancras to Finsbury Park. Not really worth the hassle when the Oyster fare for Zone 1 vs. Zone 1-2 is the same off-peak, and only 50p more in the peak.

If you walked from St James's Park to Blackfriars (29 mins), you could use the rest of your ticket for your journey to Finsbury Park on Thameslink (changing at King's Cross if necessary). Not sure if it would work on the Victoria line from King's Cross.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The London Underground bit of a Cross-London transfer has to be a "reasonable" route. I think you'd struggle to claim that Paddington to Finsbury Park via Blackfriars is reasonable.

hkstudent

Established Member
The Londojn Underground bit of a Cross-London transfer has to be a "reasonable" route. I think you'd struggle to claim that Paddington to Finsbury Park via Blackfriars is reasonable.
Not really, there is a direct Circle Line service to Blackfriars for Thameslink trains to Finsbury Park.
It kind of "direct" in this sense.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The London Underground bit of a Cross-London transfer has to be a "reasonable" route. I think you'd struggle to claim that Paddington to Finsbury Park via Blackfriars is reasonable.

Easily reasonable, in my view.

freddie1729

Trainline allows this:

D4394ED7-0CD3-42BE-99DE-21F6573E4A0D.png

I think the cross-London transfer has to be reasonable. But the route on National Rail that you take just has to be valid for the ticket you hold (though I am not an expert).

Dave W

I knew about the no-BOJ rule but didn't think about stopping the journey short... In any case like Martin I would have been sceptical that it was valid, but clearly the journey planner thinks so.

Cost myself £2.40! Never mind.

Thanks all!

mmh

Established Member

You won't need to claim that it is or isn't as nobody will look at your ticket. Besides, I think it's a perfectly reasonable way to go to change to Thameslink, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.