• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry - Apprentice Train Driver - Multiple (19/09/23)

dereksingh291

On Moderation
CrossCountry are recruiting for Manchester, Derby, Newcastle, Leicester, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Bristol, Bournemouth, Birmingham, Leeds, Cambridge

https://jobs.deutschebahngroup.care...ce-Train-Driver-Talent-Pool-Manchester/289796

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

irish_rail

Established Member
Bizarre, every depot except Plymouth?! Is that an error or is there a reason why Plymouth isn't included......?

Just out of interest, how comes all the TOC's under Arriva offer such difference in pay?

ARL
Chiltern
XC

All different learning and qualifying pay, I get ARL operate in London, but some of the differences in pay can be quite large.

Silvio

Anyone know if you can apply for 2 locations provided you live within a 1 hour commute?

Theoffs

I’ve put one in for Manchester.. but not sure if within the 60 mins as live in Liverpool??

Is 37k the top salary line after training?

LokiB

I’ve put one in for Manchester.. but not sure if within the 60 mins as live in Liverpool??

Is 37k the top salary line after training?
I believe the final salary is around £65k.
Willing to be corrected if that's incorrect though.

Chrysalis

In for Bournemouth. Not sure if I live close enough (59 minutes according to google, up to 1 h 40 minutes during rush hour...).

Devon156

Bizarre, every depot except Plymouth?! Is that an error or is there a reason why Plymouth isn't included......?
They advertised twice earlier in the year. They were looking for 5 drivers this year and next year maybe they already have enough.

baz962

Established Member
Just out of interest, how comes all the TOC's under Arriva offer such difference in pay?

ARL
Chiltern
XC

All different learning and qualifying pay, I get ARL operate in London, but some of the differences in pay can be quite large.
Arl are a franchise for tfl and they don't have as much problems with pay dispute as the dft tocs.

Sorcerer

Does anyone know if Crosscountry is CBI or MMI?
As far as I'm aware, CrossCountry use the MMI and Avanti are the only ones that use the CBI, at least among TOCs. Not sure about FOCs but that's not relevant here anyway so that's no problem.

dereksingh291

On Moderation
I’ve applied.
Are there only two routes that Manchester drivers sign?
Manchester Piccadilly
Traction:
220/1
Routes:
Manchester Piccadilly - Birmingham New Street (via Stoke, and Crewe, and with various other diversions)
Birmingham - Reading (via Coventry and Solihull)

SuperS16v

Will definitely apply, I am currently in the talent pool with another company under the DB umbrella. Is this worth mentioning in the cover letter or will it go against me?

12LDA28C

Established Member
Is Arriva enhanced?

Even if it were, there is no pre-determined 'enhanced' status for the psychometric tests required. 'Enhanced' just means that an additional test(s) above the 'standard' suite of tests is required which varies from TOC to TOC. So TOC 'A' could require different tests to their 'enhanced' standard than TOC 'B's 'enhanced' standard.

JWS

Even if it were, there is no pre-determined 'enhanced' status for the psychometric tests required. 'Enhanced' just means that an additional test(s) above the 'standard' suite of tests is required which varies from TOC to TOC. So TOC 'A' could require different tests to their 'enhanced' standard than TOC 'B's 'enhanced' standard.
Ahhhh makes sense appreciate the clarity.
I passed my tests through SE so wonder if they require the same

MidweekR

Will definitely apply, I am currently in the talent pool with another company under the DB umbrella. Is this worth mentioning in the cover letter or will it go against me?
Is the other company is part of Arriva Group? When you click apply one of the initial questions is asking whether or not you've applied for a role with Arriva Group before, I wouldn't have thought it would go against you unless it was a different depot for the same TOC.

baz962

Established Member
Not necessarily extra tests. The normal tests can have a higher pass mark too .

driverface

GL to all potential recruits. I'm qualified though (drive for Northern).
Really want in at XC. Anyone know what's going on here?
XC only used to take qualified, never trainees. Change of policy?

Ses16

GL to all potential recruits. I'm qualified though (drive for Northern).
Really want in at XC. Anyone know what's going on here?
XC only used to take qualified, never trainees. Change of policy?
It was virgin cross country before no? so their recruiting policy was hiring only qualified drivers, like they did when they ran services on the west coast mainline. Since virgin are out, new policy with the new TOC operator to avoid any driver shortages.