• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crosscountry - Apprentice Train Drivers (08/12/22)

bcfc171081

Various Depots on site now

Plymouth
Bristol
Bournemouth
Cambridge
Leicester
Birmingham
Edinburgh

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aviator88

"Starting salary £28,464 rising to £37,713 upon completion of basic training."

Can anybody clarify what the 'fully qualified' basic salary is, and when that can be expected to be achieved?

dereksingh291

On Moderation
I wonder why the adverts are left open until 24th January next year but also when could the courses start for these depots?

Jlob2804

Can anybody clarify what the 'fully qualified' basic salary is, and when that can be expected to be achieved?
At Bournemouth I think full wack is defo upper 60k maybe even low 70's by now. Was 65k before the pandemic at least. Not sure how long to get there for a new driver though.

SJN

After you’ve passed out and done route learning it rises to £55 for one year then £60 for another year then the top salary of £65.

Diedinium

Just want to check, are there no "Job Questions" to fill out when applying?

Just went through it and it skipped over that section, guess that means there aren't any to fill out.

The job application mentions including a cover letter as well, but there's no way to attach one from what I can see on the application form, just a CV...

PHB2203

Just want to check, are there no "Job Questions" to fill out when applying?

Just went through it and it skipped over that section, guess that means there aren't any to fill out.

The job application mentions including a cover letter as well, but there's no way to attach one from what I can see on the application form, just a CV...
Hey, I thought the same there wasn’t much to complete on the online form. I attached my CV and a cover letter as you can upload more than one file when doing it on a PC I found.

Diedinium

Hey, I thought the same there wasn’t much to complete on the online form. I attached my CV and a cover letter as you can upload more than one file when doing it on a PC I found.
Ah good call, retracted my application and I'll submit with the CV and cover letter this time, whoops!

Diedinium

No need to retract it you can add files once it’s been submitted in your account by the looks of it.
Ah yeah, those are just stored at the account level by the looks of it - I think it only takes through the ones that are actually set into the application, files from my previous application to XC from a year ago are still there.

Although now having redone the application to make sure... yeah, it looks like there is no option to select more than one file. Guessing just upload the CV, and adding the cover letter to the account is the best we can do.

Last edited:

DJP78

On Moderation
Ah yeah, those are just stored at the account level by the looks of it - I think it only takes through the ones that are actually set into the application, files from my previous application to XC from a year ago are still there.

Although now having redone the application to make sure... yeah, it looks like there is no option to select more than one file. Guessing just upload the CV, and adding the cover letter to the account is the best we can do.
That's what I've done also. The application only allows one file to be uploaded (CV). My covering letter is stored on my profile page

Fingers crossed eh

DJP78

On Moderation
Yep, I’ve got two on their, one for a TM application and one for this one.
Did you manage to upload two separate files, one for CV and one for Cov Letter on the application or did you just upload the CV on the application and leave the Cov Letter on your profile, if you don't mind me asking?

ca84

I’ve also applied for this role, before coming across this thread. It wasn’t too clear about where to upload the Cover Letter to, so I uploaded one pdf containing both my Cover Letter and CV to my application as one file. I’m wondering now if they should be separate?

Cal_NG4

Hello everyone. I applied to this position today for a role out of Leicester. I live in Nottingham so hopefully will let people know what happens. I added a Cover Letter onto my profile also for this role. The advert did say that if they received a lot of applications that they would close early but was still live when I applied today. The job was originally found on Indeed and then sent me in a link to the DB website.

I just got an email back from Cross Country/DB system administrator saying that they will update my application in the next 2-4 weeks.

Last edited:

bcfc171081

Hello everyone. I applied to this position today for a role out of Leicester. I live in Nottingham so hopefully will let people know what happens. I added a Cover Letter onto my profile also for this role. The advert did say that if they received a lot of applications that they would close early but was still live when I applied today. The job was originally found on Indeed and then sent me in a link to the DB website.

I just got an email back from Cross Country/DB system administrator saying that they will update my application in the next 2-4 weeks.

I’ve also had that 2-4 weeks email.

Cal_NG4

Just out of curiosity! Why is this advertised again in December 2022 when it was also advertised in January 2022.

Just out of curiosity! Why is this advertised again in December 2022 when it was also advertised in January 2022.
It wasn't that long ago somebody claimed XC had a driver surplus (posts 321 and 395 of the XC apprentice driver thread from the start of this year).

Last edited:

Mizzmo

What would this apprentice consist of , Do they help you reach the level that they require ?

Driver068

Apprenticeships generally consist of 4 months in training then another 4-5 months practical handling - Taking into consideration annual leave your talking roughly within 12 months. After that - Traction conversions, core routes then other routes. All depending on the TOC. All this with the added extra of apprenticeship reviews with functional skills added into it. So all in all theres no difference in a Trainee Drivers course and an apprenticeship. Just the apprenticeship title adds financial benifit to the company - the trainee gets no real benifit, its just a title really. I dont work for XC but this is the general outline at my TOC.

The level that is required is down to the individual not because its an apprenticeship. It involved studying in your own time evenings/weekends during training school and the practical handling aspect with your instructors. Following un sociable working hours and weekends whilst maintaining the rules standards thats required.

These all set by the TOC/FOC not the people that run the apprenticeship scheme

kajojek3232

I’m quite surprised they haven’t closed the ads yet. Anyone know if they’re likely to stick it out until the 21st?

I’m both excited and frightened to be honest. This is my first time applying for this job which I was scared to do so earlier mainly due to the fear of failing twice.

I guess we’ll probably start hearing back next year due to Christmas and New Year’s.

The applications have now closed. Fingers crossed for everyone.

Last edited: