• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry HST Diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does anyone know what the likely HST diagrams will be for Saturday 5th/Sunday 6th November?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lammergeier

So what’s the excuse for terminating at Derby from the north on the date in question? The work appears to be between Derby and Tamworth.
I don't know, it's the first I've heard of it. It's pretty frustrating for us as well when these decisions are made.

louis97

Established Member
So what’s the excuse for terminating at Derby from the north on the date in question? The work appears to be between Derby and Tamworth.
Same thing happened on a weekend last year. Unfortunately you can't plan for diversions when some crews, even a small number, have had their route knowledge lapse.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
You would have thought so, both sets that were at Neville Hill this morning have ended up in Laira tonight so they will definitely need at least one up there tomorrow night...

The 16:27 Plymouth - Leeds is being formed of one tonight which I thought that would be the case :).

On Moderation
Same thing happened on a weekend last year. Unfortunately you can't plan for diversions when some crews, even a small number, have had their route knowledge lapse.
You can, because you could factor in crew changes at Birmingham and Derby and ensure those turns are resourced by crews with the relevant route knowledge.

class 9

Last edited:

On Moderation
Extra set at Leeds tonight, is for this tomorrow.
But not as simple as you might think. Originally the extra set (43184+366) was due to work 1E67 1627 PLY-LDS, but because 1V50 0606 EDB-PLY (43239/357) was over an hour late due to signalling issues between Exeter and Newton Abbot, they were swapped over; 43184+366 stepping up to work 1E63 1527 PLY-LDS and the set off 1V50 working 1E67 instead. They both end up at Neville Hill tonight, but by set swapping XC saved themselves either a part cancellation or a late start to 1E63.

louis97

Established Member
You can, because you could factor in crew changes at Birmingham and Derby and ensure those turns are resourced by crews with the relevant route knowledge.
You've missed my point. The crew is planned assuming everyone at a depot/link signs all routes worked by that depot/link. Therefore you can't plan for diversions when some crew, even a small number, have lapsed on the route knowledge. Otherwise there is a chance you have crew who have lapsed on route knowledge via Leicester rostered a job with work that way.

lammergeier

You've missed my point. The crew is planned assuming everyone at a depot/link signs all routes worked by that depot/link. Therefore you can't plan for diversions when some crew, even a small number, have lapsed on the route knowledge. Otherwise there is a chance you have crew who have lapsed on route knowledge via Leicester rostered a job with work that way.
They wouldn't be rostered to a job they didn't sign. Crewplan would throw them off the job. I suspect that without RDW the concern is cover if there's service disruption similar to when HST's were temporarily withdrawn midweek last year.

louis97

Established Member
They wouldn't be rostered to a job they didn't sign. Crewplan would throw them off the job. I suspect that without RDW the concern is cover if there's service disruption similar to when HST's were temporarily withdrawn midweek last year.
Fair enough, I can only go by my own experiences at the TOC I work at, where in the past crews have been assigned jobs they didn't sign. So in XCs case you'd end up with an uncovered job, which you may or may not be able to cover, the RDW issues you mention particularly relevant here. Last time they had engineering works between Wichnor and Derby (earlier this year or last year, can't remember) they only managed one or two early morning and late evening services via Leicester on the Saturday and no diverts on the Sunday.

Mugby

Established Member
I see the 0811 Leeds to Plymouth HST this morning only got as far as Sheffield where it was cancelled 'Due to a problem with traction equipment'

Does anyone know the full story?

Established Member
I see the 0811 Leeds to Plymouth HST this morning only got as far as Sheffield where it was cancelled 'Due to a problem with traction equipment'

Does anyone know the full story?
Reported on Facebook as power car shut down.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
43239 has shut down on 1S51 12.27 Plymouth Edinburgh. Plan is for 1S51 to be worked forward from Exeter by the set off 1V50 the 06.02 Edinburgh Plymouth.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Any news on the HST that would normally be on the 9:10 from Leeds south ?

Is it running in a later slot ?

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Is it likely that XC will once again restrict HST use to Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays only, possibly from next week, now that the summer peak is over? It wouldn't surprise me.
With this is mind...

From RTT Friday looks to be the usual two diagrams:

0611 Leeds - Plymouth
0606 Edinburgh - Plymouth

1227 Plymouth - Edinburgh
1527 Plymouth - Leeds
... are these the 'usual diagrams' for Mon-Fri or just for Fridays? The 125 group don't seem to be providing diagrams anymore and RTT only goes back a week (with the 12:27 from Plymouth last Monday apparently being a Voyager to Leeds due to disruption or engineering works). I'm trying to plan a trip to Newcastle by the end of October avoiding Voyagers and long stints on Fainsa seated units.

Established Member
Is it a strike timetable again? 1S51 ran to Edinburgh as a 7-car HST yesterday.
Due to engineering works at Newcastle the NE-SW services are terminating at York.

With this is mind...

... are these the 'usual diagrams' for Mon-Fri or just for Fridays? The 125 group don't seem to be providing diagrams anymore and RTT only goes back a week (with the 12:27 from Plymouth last Monday apparently being a Voyager to Leeds due to disruption or engineering works). I'm trying to plan a trip to Newcastle by the end of October avoiding Voyagers and long stints on Fainsa seated units.
They are the normal diagrams for Monday to Friday subject to on the day changes etc like Monday just gone.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
It seems as though XC couldn't be bothered to provide passengers with more seats because of the disruption north of Newcastle.

1V50 06:06 from Edinburgh terminated at Newcastle at around 08:40/08:45.

Really that could have run the delayed 08:40 at 09:27 (47 minutes late that was) to Plymouth and the 16:27 back.

Instead they sent the HST straight back to Leeds. Not good luck for passengers when services are already busy enough.

During disruption there should be more seats when possible especially with the current reduced frequency!

Last edited by a moderator:

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
It seems as though XC couldn't be bothered to provide passengers with more seats because of the disruption north of Newcastle.

Really that could have run the delayed 08:40 at 09:27 (47 minutes late that was) to Plymouth and the 16:27 back.

Instead they sent the HST straight back to Leeds. Not good luck for passengers when services are already busy enough.

During disruption there should be more seats when possible especially with the current reduced frequency!

Trust me the railway does not plan things in certain ways because “it can’t be bothered”

XCTurbostar

Established Member

I found your comment rather aggressive considering the circumstances and I hope there was no spite included. As Hamworthy stated above, the railway has many operational requirements and doesn't just operate because it can 'be bothered'.

Reviewing the exact circumstances, it appears that animals on the line contributed to the situation today and therefore it is likely that to make sure that the HST got back to Neville Hill Depot at the end of the day, the diagram was terminated short. There may also have been a lack of HST drivers at Newcastle.

Mugby

Established Member
The 0658 HST from Edinburgh to Plymouth today (Sat.12th) is currently running about an hour late.

This set usually forms the 1627 return service from Plymouth to Leeds. I'm hoping to travel on this tonight from Derby to Leeds.
Is it likely to be turned short somewhere if no recovery is made and the lateness increases?

class 9

It's late due to a problem with power car 43366, so it might be going onto Laira when it gets to Plymouth.
It was late off Craigentinny, it's not losing any significant time, so it may have been fixed.

Southern Dvr

It's late due to a problem with power car 43366, so it might be going onto Laira when it gets to Plymouth.
It was late off Craigentinny, it's not losing any significant time, so it may have been fixed.
Alternative HST sourced from Laira with 43285/43303

Mugby

Established Member
Deleted

The 0658 Edinburgh - Plymouth is usually booked for a HST but today it was cancelled between Edinburgh and Newcastle due to the problems at Berwick-on Tweed.
It was commenced at Newcastle and is just a 4-car Voyager now, not ideal for one of the busier services of the day. Wonder what the 1627 return from Plymouth will be!

Last edited:

Mugby

Established Member
Does anyone know what HST diagrams XC will run (if any) after this weekend's timetable change?

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Does anyone know what HST diagrams XC will run (if any) after this weekend's timetable change?

Probably the usual sadly which are...

Weekdays:
06:06 Edinburgh - Plymouth
15:27 Plymouth - Leeds

06:11 Leeds - Plymouth
12:27 Plymouth - Edinburgh

Saturdays:
06:58 Edinburgh - Plymouth
16:27 Plymouth - Leeds

06:09 Leeds - Plymouth
12:27 Plymouth - Edinburgh

Sundays:
08:11 Leeds - Plymouth
14:27 Plymouth - Edinburgh

09:08 Edinburgh - Plymouth
18:27 Plymouth - Leeds

All subject to no engineering works or any issues!

Hope this helps :).

Status
Not open for further replies.