• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry HST Diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobiast

I'm happy to be aboard 43303 + XC03 + 43357 on 1S51 having had to give up on first 1S51 then 1E63 yesterday. All running smoothly so far, and there seem to be more people on the platforms than usual taking pictures - perhaps because there will be no HSTs running for the next two days! Here's mine at Cheltenham.

DSC09962.JPG

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OrangeJuice

Does anyone know if the sets will be out on the 16th, and what services they'd be on. Engineering works between Newcastle and Edinburgh makes things harder to guess.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Apparently the retro power cars will be off from today until the 18th. They are out today on the 06:06 Edinburgh to Plymouth, nothing further as they'll be taken to Laira thereafter and swapped in Plymouth.

Last edited:

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Apparently the retro power cars will be off from today until the 18th. They are out today on the 06:06 Edinburgh to Plymouth, nothing further as they'll be taken to Laura thereafter and swapped in Plymouth.
Yep 43303 and 43304 are coming on.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Last Public Day - 18th September 2023
Last Use of XC HSTs - 26th September 2023

YorksLad12

Established Member
I’m on 1S51, 378 and 321 doing the honours. The comfort cooling isn’t working in coaches F or G (lady conductor just said “G” when we tried to board). I’d be better off in G, all things being equal, as I’d have a front-facing window seat than a rear-facing aisle one, but there you go

Martin_1981

I've heard the XC strike scheduled for this Saturday is now suspended. I guess therefore the usual Saturday diagrams will be HSTs? Ie 0609 Leeds to Plymouth/1227 Plymouth to Glasgow & 0805 Edinburgh to Plymouth/1727 Plymouth to Leeds?

BN 91119

Apparently the retro power cars will be off from today until the 18th. They are out today on the 06:06 Edinburgh to Plymouth, nothing further as they'll be taken to Laira thereafter and swapped in Plymouth.
That’s annoying! After not seeing them over 4 days in Devon last week because of various incidents I was hoping to see them this weekend! Oh well looks like I won’t be seeing those anymore

DEAN MURPHY

Hello all
Can anyone confirm the last HST public working on the 18th sep is the 16.37 Plymouth to Leeds service please
Thank you

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
How come they're being taken off already when the 18th is 1 to 2 weeks away?

YorksLad12

Established Member
1S51 has some coaches with faulty air conditioning

seems to be a recurring issue
That's why I gave it a miss tonight - it looks like the same set as Tuesday, problems in coaches F & G. As the Northern semi-fast to Leeds was starting from Sheffield instead of Nottingham, it seemed the better (cooler) bet.

occone

That's why I gave it a miss tonight - it looks like the same set as Tuesday, problems in coaches F & G. As the Northern semi-fast to Leeds was starting from Sheffield instead of Nottingham, it seemed the better (cooler) bet.
Ah that explains a lot! Currently stood in coach G and it's like a tropical rainforest in here

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Ah that explains a lot! Currently stood in coach G and it's like a tropical rainforest in here
I was in coach G yesterday on the first southbound service. Was fine when I boarded in Cheltenham but by the time it reached Devon it was quite the sauna. Staff thankfully were handing out water bottles to us.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
I occasionally travel for amusement only on HSTs to Plymouth and back and use RTT to choose a day when 5E63 (ecs from Laira) is activated so that I return on a different set to the one on the outward (sad, I know) . It surprises me that the set off depot often has a number of defects - for instance, on 16th August I returned on such a set (with power cars 43007/184 freshly re-vinyled) and the 45xxx coach had poor or no air-con and bad wheel flats, and the lavatory in the adjacent 1st ran out of water before Taunton. Some of the vestibule doors either stayed, or wouldn't, open, but this seems to be an insoluble problem not confined to Laira..

The exile

Established Member
I occasionally travel for amusement only on HSTs to Plymouth and back and use RTT to choose a day when 5E63 (ecs from Laira) is activated so that I return on a different set to the one on the outward (sad, I know) . It surprises me that the set off depot often has a number of defects - for instance, on 16th August I returned on such a set (with power cars 43007/184 freshly re-vinyled) and the 45xxx coach had poor or no air-con and bad wheel flats, and the lavatory in the adjacent 1st ran out of water before Taunton. Some of the vestibule doors either stayed, or wouldn't, open, but this seems to be an insoluble problem not confined to Laira..
In many ways , the loo water running out is the worst of those. The others might just have been in fixable in the time available- but how long does it take to fill a water tank? I assume it wasn’t leaking as the coach would have been a bit damp…

MattyJames

very poor that they can't seem to / don't want to fix these aircon problems
Better than cancelling the train and ramming all the passengers on an overcrowded Voyager.

Currently on 1E63 and A/C has conked out in the front two coaches, TM made an announcement about trying to source a fitter to come and rectify the issue on the inbound service (1V50).
I imagine with the imminent withdrawal of the HST's, XC won't be rushing to find the faults with the A/C on these trains and will just leave them be.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
In many ways , the loo water running out is the worst of those. The others might just have been in fixable in the time available- but how long does it take to fill a water tank? I assume it wasn’t leaking as the coach would have been a bit damp…

This is something I've whinged about before, I know - but there are 5 sets based at Laira for 2 diagrams. is it too simple to think that there were 3 sets to choose from at Laira? Two sets had C6 overhauls at Doncaster in May - shown on the coach ends - but they still have defects..

YorksLad12

Established Member
very poor that they can't seem to / don't want to fix these aircon problems
It's going to be cooler next week, and the week after that... well, they only run one day that week, then they're off. Why fix something that's going in 10 days?

The exile

Established Member
I’m sure they’re in here somewhere, but as XC are running normally tomorrow - what are the Saturday diagrams?

Status
Not open for further replies.