• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry services at Worcestershire Parkway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birmingham

Only Turbostar services of CrossCountry’s ordinarily call at Worcestershire Parkway.

Last week, when CrossCountry imposed a reduced timetable on its Turbostar routes, it called, by control arrangement, other morning and evening services additionally at Worcestershire Parkway — at commute times.

This week (or at least today), it is not calling other services, citing that the reduced Turbostar service is not due to on-the-day cancellations (yes, but you called other services in the same circumstance last week!)

This is the difference between being able to get into work and not so it’s quite frustrating that CrossCountry continue to send other services passing through the station without giving it a service until almost noon (first northbound train is 11:14 today). There is no alternative this morning.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
CrossCountry have repeatedly made it clear that they are not interested in serving Worcestershire Parkway other than by the contractual minimum number of services (I.e. the Notts-Cardiffs.) This is where a strong guiding mind - I.e. anything but the DfT - would recognise the value of commuter peaks and a focussed selection of leisure-travel orientated stops in long distance services, and specify/fund/enforce their provision.

Gathursty

Established Member
CrossCountry have repeatedly made it clear that they are not interested in serving Worcestershire Parkway other than by the contractual minimum number of services (I.e. the Notts-Cardiffs.) This is where a strong guiding mind - I.e. anything but the DfT - would recognise the value of commuter peaks and a focussed selection of leisure-travel orientated stops in long distance services, and specify/fund/enforce their provision.
I understand XCs frustration because they have many stops and aren't really Intercity so adding an extra stop in Worcester is a bit like adding the last item onto a Buckaroo however they are the only TOC that uses that bit of track* so I'd hope they'd be a bit more helpful than what you've described.

*Unless GWR/WMR run that late night Gloucester service IIRC.

Efini92

Established Member
I thought they may have had the Bristol-Manchester’s call there when they were reintroduced.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Unless GWR/WMR run that late night Gloucester service IIRC.
The former Birmingham-Gloucester service that ran as one service Friday evening-only was abolished a number of years ago now, and ran via Worcester Shrub Hill so the line between Stoke Works Jct and Abbotswood Jct is a purely XC affair.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I thought they may have had the Bristol-Manchester’s call there when they were reintroduced.
You would need to start shifting the Cross City timetable around the hour to do that. XC are timed to get to Kings Norton before the stoppers.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Could they not send it via the camp hill lines?
Potentially, if you can get a gap between the southbounds and the Camp Hill stoppers in the future. Its better for the Bristol Manchesters to go that way as it removes a New St reversal.

Efini92

Established Member
Potentially, if you can get a gap between the southbounds and the Camp Hill stoppers in the future. It’s better for the Bristol Manchesters to go that way as it removes a New St reversal.
I wonder why they never went for that option. How much time has to be allocated for the reversal?

The Planner

Veteran Member
I see, thank you. I know I’m stating the obvious a little but surely 6-7 minutes would be enough to stop at WOP?
That isnt the issue, its the path north of Bromsgrove into New St. You are also forgetting you still need a dwell at New St regardless.

GWVillager

That isnt the issue, its the path north of Bromsgrove into New St. You are also forgetting you still need a dwell at New St regardless.
The pathing is only an issue because CrossCountry want it to be, they can and have worked it out, as seen with the Turbostar services stopping. There's enough slack on the lines South that they can depart Bristol a minute or two earlier, stop at Worcestershire Parkway, and still get to Bromsgrove before the Cross City trains. If reversals didn't need to happen then I'm sure the two minutes lost could easily be regained at Birmingham.

I think it is reasonably obvious the real issue is with CrossCounty's stubbornness to stop, somewhat justified as others have commented, and make Worcestershire Parkway useful.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
The pathing is only an issue because CrossCountry want it to be, they can and have worked it out, as seen with the Turbostar services stopping. There's enough slack on the lines South that they can depart Bristol a minute or two earlier, stop at Worcestershire Parkway, and still get to Bromsgrove before the Cross City trains. If reversals didn't need to happen then I'm sure the two minutes lost could easily be regained at Birmingham.

I think it is reasonably obvious the real issue is with CrossCounty's stubbornness to stop, somewhat justified as others have commented, and make Worcestershire Parkway useful.

To be fair to XC it is more complex than just leaving Bristol 3-4 mins earlier which will variously clash with GWR's xx57 to Cardiff, the xx04 Bristol PW-Swansea, and various GWR and TFW services in the Cheltenham area.

Southbound would be much simpler to accommodate stops however.

Birmingham

Indeed those Voyager services which do specially stop often make up time completely by Birmingham or Cheltenham.

Mugby

Established Member
Ironically, on Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th Jan, XC are using Worcestershire Parkway as the railhead for all services to/from the North. They will terminate there and be replaced with buses to/from Gloucester due to engineering work.

So if you want to travel North from there on that wknd, you should have plenty of choice. I was hoping to travel to Bristol on the 14th, returning on the 15th but I can't face an hour on a bus each way so I'm not going now!

Class 170101

Established Member
Ironically, on Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th Jan, XC are using Worcestershire Parkway as the railhead for all services to/from the North. They will terminate there and be replaced with buses to/from Gloucester due to engineering work.

So if you want to travel North from there on that wknd, you should have plenty of choice. I was hoping to travel to Bristol on the 14th, returning on the 15th but I can't face an hour on a bus each way so I'm not going now!
Standard procedure and shortens the bus journey which used to be all the way from New Street as for some reason they didn't use Worcester Shrub Hill.

FenMan

Established Member
It would be very interesting if the likes of Ryanair could be tempted into running trains in GB. Given their very strong leaning to not leaving a pound that is on offer uncollected, I suspect there would be plenty of grief for the various vested interests, followed by an "accommodation" that results in a better outcome for passengers than the current situation.

GWVillager

It would be very interesting if the likes of Ryanair could be tempted into running trains in GB. Given their very strong leaning to not leaving a pound that is on offer uncollected, I suspect there would be plenty of grief for the various vested interests, followed by an "accommodation" that results in a better outcome for passengers than the current situation.
Is this the intended thread?

If so, Ryanrail or whatever it’d be called would probably be forced to stop at Worcestershire Parkway rather than anywhere else due to open access restrictions.

FenMan

Established Member
Is this the intended thread?

If so, Ryanrail or whatever it’d be called would probably be forced to stop at Worcestershire Parkway rather than anywhere else due to open access restrictions.

You miss my point.

Halish Railway

Established Member
I think any increased service at Worcestershire Parkway will come about as a result of more services instigated by the Midland Rail Hub plan.

Personally, I think Birmingham to Bristol should be electrified, with a new stopping service calling at University, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire Parkway, Ashchurch, Cheltenham, Bristol Parkway and Bristol Temple Meads.

mangyiscute

Established Member
Personally, I think Birmingham to Bristol should be electrified, with a new stopping service calling at University, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire Parkway, Ashchurch, Cheltenham, Bristol Parkway and Bristol Temple Meads.
While I don't think anyone would be against a line's electrification, I think that there lines that would make a lot better use of electrification - currently, with cross country sending diesel trains which may not change for a while it would be a huge waste, plus a lot of the GWR turbostars go down towards Westbury which would also mean diesel trains would probably be used. For me, I think either Chippenham to Bristol or Didcot to Oxford should be the main aims for electrification in that area - especially as 8 coach electrostars could then be used on the Oxford terminators

Veteran Member
The route might be
Glasgow (Carstairs or Motherwell)
Manchester (Wigan - well, it's in GM :) )
Birmingham (Worcestershire Parkway)
Bristol (Yatton)
Exeter (Tiverton Parkway).

Beats hasty retreat....

newtownmgr

The Camp Hill lines aren’t maintained to passenger standards (or at least to a high enough speed) iirc.
Yes they are & there is booked passenger work on the line. Will be stopping services on the line when the 3 stations reopen. Line max speed is 60, the same max speed as the line via Selly Oak.

TheWalrus

Established Member
I’m sure I saw a Voyager leaving Cheltenham last week or week before with Worcestershire Parkway advertised as the bext stop on the side?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Ryanair would rename it Birmingham (Worcestershire Parkway) and would be the only station they served in the West Midlands. With services available to Bristol (Cam and Dursley).

Status
Not open for further replies.