• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail - Construction updates and progress towards opening (now expected 24 May 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rd749249

Yes after I posted it did occur to me that there are two separate tracks most of the way from Westboune park to Old Oak Depot. I checked the line on google maps and I agree, that there would not be a huge change required to fix that conflict.
Sunday just gone whilst driving to West Ealing sidings, the signaller was routing us from the Westbound to line 5; a not very utilised line that side of Portobello Jct. It's an inevitable conflict for any non-XR trains using the Up Relief and one that I think could only be fixed by either utilising the main lines from Southall West Jct (requiring a stop on the mains at Ealing Broadway) or something new. There is a first opportunity move near Kensal Green to the Down Relief (Up) and line 4 but that's only at 25 mph, still conflicts with down direction movements but then steers you clear of lines 5 & 6 for XR moves. I suspect a fair few GWR's may get caught-up in any XR disruption.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kristiang85

Established Member
Presumably if I want to have a gander at the stations on opening week from Basingstoke going in via Reading, then an off peak London travelcard 'any route' will suffice?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Presumably if I want to have a gander at the stations on opening week from Basingstoke going in via Reading, then an off peak London travelcard 'any route' will suffice?
Yes, as with all TfL services, it will be included in a Travelcard within the relevant Zones.

Skie

But it doesn't need to be there on day one. Ironically the time spent in the underground core is hardly long enough to be an issue for a few months. Better to have a functioning railway without it for the time being.
The 4g/5g does as it’s part of the Emergency Services Network. EE users might see service down there, as EE tend to roll it out for consumers and emergency services. Certainly how it’s been done on Merseyrail (though that isn’t providing the WiFi backhaul for the 777s).

AM9

Veteran Member
The 4g/5g does as it’s part of the Emergency Services Network. EE users might see service down there, as EE tend to roll it out for consumers and emergency services. Certainly how it’s been done on Merseyrail (though that isn’t providing the WiFi backhaul for the 777s).
I was commenting on the claim that it needed to be there for wi-fi purposes. If 4g/5g is there to run the trains then that capability must be provided from day 1. If there is additional work to enable general public access then it will take it's place lower down the priority list.

ijmad

Established Member
Assuming a few 315s still run on the Shenfield branch after the 24th, does that mean they're now Elizabeth Line trains?

PG

Established Member
Looking unlikely that the Queen will attend the opening since its reported she won't be attending any garden parties this summer.
Other members of the Royal Family will stand in for the Queen when the traditional garden parties return this summer, Buckingham Palace has said.
The Queen, who is 96 and has mobility problems, has cut back on several engagements in recent months.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Does this correspond with the info on RTT
Why does it need to? The whole service is unadvertised at the moment. At some point certain trains can be set to be 'advertised'.

RTT just shows what is in the data feed and that data feed hasn't been updated yet to match the knowledge of the original poster.

PG

Established Member
What a perfect opportunity to show off how wheelchair accessible the new line is.
While true I suspect that the royal family wouldn't wish to encourage the inevitable media speculation which would result if the Queen rocked up in a wheelchair!

EDIT:
I can see it now as the daily fail headline - "Queen on her last legs"...

Basil Jet

On Moderation
While true I suspect that the royal family wouldn't wish to encourage the inevitable media speculation which would result if the Queen rocked up in a wheelchair!

EDIT:
I can see it now as the daily fail headline - "Queen on her last legs"...
"Elizabeth ready to roll"

kevin_roche

Another video update...

And Geoff Marshall has answered some of his viewers questions about the opening.

Last edited:

Backroom_boy

On Thameslink, the Peterborough/Cambridge services that don't go through the core start/terminate at King's Cross instead of using the usual platforms at St Pancras "Low Level" (as can be seen by searching for Thameslink departures at Finsbury Park to/from Stevenage) so no consistency there, but perhaps there are operational reasons precluding terminating inside the Thameslink core (especially with other services passing through throughout the night) that don't apply to Crossrail. (On the other Thameslink branches it looks like trains that don't run end to end run always run through the core before terminating/after starting, instead of terminating/starting short of the core.)
Getting slightly OT but is kings cross and St Pancras considered a joint station ticketing wise for thameslink? (I know it is for LUL) Last weekend I was on a Brighton bound Thameslink train when at Hitchin an elderly man asked if it was bound for Kings cross. Nodding a yes it was only later I realised it wasn't and he'd be presenting a KX ticket at StP. Fairly sure the staff would let him through the barriers though but maybe the ticket barriers wouldn't open automatically?

Snow1964

Established Member
Assuming a few 315s still run on the Shenfield branch after the 24th, does that mean they're now Elizabeth Line trains?
The last class 345 was only handed over within last fortnight (unit 018), so it seems unlikely they will need any 315s by 24th May as should now have enough to convert the residual 315 workings

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Getting slightly OT but is kings cross and St Pancras considered a joint station ticketing wise for thameslink? (I know it is for LUL) Last weekend I was on a Brighton bound Thameslink train when at Hitchin an elderly man asked if it was bound for Kings cross. Nodding a yes it was only later I realised it wasn't and he'd be presenting a KX ticket at StP. Fairly sure the staff would let him through the barriers though but maybe the ticket barriers wouldn't open automatically?
Tickets from Hitchin are issued to either London Terminals or London Thameslink. Both can be used at either Kings Cross or St Pancras (or Moorgate) with no issues.

This is the same for all stations on the GN side of things, although LNER do sell Advance fares from Peterborough and Stevenage which can only be used on the specified train (which all go to Kings Cross)

buz33

Tickets from Hitchin are issued to either London Terminals or London Thameslink. Both can be used at either Kings Cross or St Pancras (or Moorgate) with no issues.

This is the same for all stations on the GN side of things, although LNER do sell Advance fares from Peterborough and Stevenage which can only be used on the specified train (which all go to Kings Cross)
This link would imply that London Thameslink tickets are not valid to/from Moorgate.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This link would imply that London Thameslink tickets are not valid to/from Moorgate.
That's correct. London Thameslink is not valid to Moorgate. At risk of going off topic a ticket from Hitchin to London Terminals is valid to Kings Cross, St Pancras and Moorgate. A ticket to London Thameslink is valid to Kings Cross, St Pancras, Farringdon, City Thameslink, Blackfriars, London Bridge and Elephant & Castle.

greyman42

Established Member
The Canary Wharf interchange diagram suggests that there is one combined station but the Jubilee and DLR are quite a distance from the Crossrail complex. Should there not be a walking distance shown?
I would say they were pretty close together.

dk1

Veteran Member
This thread goes back a long way so apologies if it’s been mentioned before but from the way I read the RSTL website (rail staff travel) all BR boxes, Status Passes & Priv travel will be valid on the Elizabeth Line from day one.

greyman42

Established Member
This thread goes back a long way so apologies if it’s been mentioned before but from the way I read the RSTL website (rail staff travel) all BR boxes, Status Passes & Priv travel will be valid on the Elizabeth Line from day one.
That being the case, lets hope they train their staff accordingly. You can still have some interesting encounters with staff at Moorgate regarding priv travel, but things have improved recently.

dk1

Veteran Member
That being the case, lets hope they train their staff accordingly. You can still have some interesting encounters with staff at Moorgate regarding priv travel, but things have improved recently.
Oh yes I have noticed that in the past but I have always been waved through eventually.

Silver Cobra

I have to say I'm looking forward to the Elizabeth Line opening in just over 2 weeks' time. I'm attending an event at the ExCeL on Saturday 28th May, so am planning to use the line from Farringdon to Custom House on the day. I know in the last few years that Custom House DLR station has been closed for alighting at during weekend events at the ExCeL (sending everyone up to Prince Regent at alight) as part of managing the flow of people arriving/departing the ExCeL, but hopefully this won't apply to the Elizabeth Line station.

Roast Veg

Established Member
I have to say I'm looking forward to the Elizabeth Line opening in just over 2 weeks' time. I'm attending an event at the ExCeL on Saturday 28th May, so am planning to use the line from Farringdon to Custom House on the day. I know in the last few years that Custom House DLR station has been closed for alighting at during weekend events at the ExCeL (sending everyone up to Prince Regent at alight) as part of managing the flow of people arriving/departing the ExCeL, but hopefully this won't apply to the Elizabeth Line station.
I highly doubt it'll shut during exhibition days - the capacity is huge by comparison. I'd expect the DLR to remain shut at extremely busy times though, with passengers advised to take the Elizabeth line.

ijmad

Established Member
I highly doubt it'll shut during exhibition days - the capacity is huge by comparison. I'd expect the DLR to remain shut at extremely busy times though, with passengers advised to take the Elizabeth line.

Most people heading to ExCeL are only on the DLR because it's the only option. The Liz will be far more convenient for the majority heading to exhibitions coming from the main airports or other UK cities by train, or indeed many Londoners who don't live in the Docklands. There'll surely be a huge mode switch and the DLR will be much quieter meaning no flow management closures would be needed. The only people who may want to continue using the DLR to get there would be those coming from London City Airport or those staying in nearby hotels that are just out of walking range.

Status
Not open for further replies.