• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Croydon Tram Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
My thoughts go out to those involved. Of course with the US election today, I'm expecting less coverage of this awful tragedy. Not much reporting of it on BBC Five Live.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

RichJF

Picture from BBC helicopter (courtesy of Tom Edwards twitter). Sorry if there's anything in the picture that offends anyone!

Attachments

• Cw0VdhYWEAAMTt3.jpg
    Cw0VdhYWEAAMTt3.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 707

All Line Rover

Established Member
There's been zero coverage of this on the BBC News Channel despite it having broadcast the same reports on the US election every hour since about 8am. As David Dimbleby once said (on a satirical program, perhaps), "welcome to ten hours of nothing, followed by five minutes of something, followed by ten hours of nothing". It's about time the BBC stopped insulting those involved in this tram incident.

Antman

Established Member
Early reports suggested the incident was under the bridge at Addiscombe Road.
Is it yet know whether this was an inbound from Addington as is implied by the posts above?

It would appear that the tram has come from New Addington and has failed to reduce speed sufficiently for the curve, probably because of poor rail conditions? It is very close to the bridge.

zoneking

My sympathies to all affected. I have used the tram to Elmers End on many occasions. Both curves where the line splits are tight.

Antman

Established Member
There's been zero coverage of this on the BBC News Channel despite it having broadcast the same reports on the US election every hour since about 8am. As David Dimbleby once said (on a satirical program, perhaps), "welcome to ten hours of nothing, followed by five minutes of something, followed by ten hours of nothing". It's about time the BBC stopped insulting those involved in this tram incident.

In fairness I'm not sure that there is a great deal to report, obviously there will be updates when more is known.

All Line Rover

Established Member
A brief acknowledgement of the incident would at least be appreciated, rather than a montage of photographs about the US election.

AlanFry1

The lack of coverage on the mainstream media has been disgraceful regardless of whatevers going on in America.

bnm

Established Member
A major domestic incident with loss of life and not even a top of the hour headline on either the BBC or Sky.

Dear BBC and Sky. We get it. Trump won. Now get on with reporting other news.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Even Transport Secretary being a bit brief, hes released two press releases both only a couple of sentences long.

I am aware of the serious incident in Croydon this morning. I know emergency services are working extremely hard at the scene and my thoughts are with all those involved.

I will continue to be updated on the terrible incident in Croydon this morning. I know emergency services are working extremely hard at the scene. My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected.

Both look suspiciously like hes text messaged his department.

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
50 casualties alone, on a local service at 6 am, shows the extent to which the London peak period has extended over recent years.

It would be interesting for the RAIB, who unfortunately seem to need some guidance in adequate investigation in recent years, to analyse the extent of the division of casualties between those seated and those standing. As time goes on more and more expectation is placed on moving passenger loads the "cheap way", by taking seats out and expecting a greater proportion of passengers to stand on a minimalist service provision, rather than providing an adequate frequency and number of vehicles to handle the demand with passengers correctly seated in the way done in the past.

bnm

Established Member
More than one online news outlet are now saying eight are feared dead.

Antman

Established Member
A major domestic incident with loss of life and not even a top of the hour headline on either the BBC or Sky.

Dear BBC and Sky. We get it. Trump won. Now get on with reporting other news.

I'll ask again, what is there to report? Obviously there will be updates.

WatcherZero

Established Member
I'm not sure what more can be said at the moment?

I'm a little suspicious hes made himself unavailable to media this morning because of the damning NAO report release then found he suddenly does need to be available, normally those statements would be given to camera.

Antman

Established Member
50 casualties alone, on a local service at 6 am, shows the extent to which the London peak period has extended over recent years.

It would be interesting for the RAIB, who unfortunately seem to need some guidance in adequate investigation in recent years, to analyse the extent of the division of casualties between those seated and those standing. As time goes on more and more expectation is placed on moving passenger loads the "cheap way", by taking seats out and expecting a greater proportion of passengers to stand on a minimalist service provision, rather than providing an adequate frequency and number of vehicles to handle the demand with passengers correctly seated in the way done in the past.

New Addington is very much a working class area so it's not that suprising.

berneyarms

Established Member

Eh, the news story itself?

Not everyone is glued to the internet. Many will use television news as their main outlet for news.

The lack of even a mention on the BBC News Channel in the last number of hours is rather amazing, considering that BBC World News left the coverage for breaks several times. Clearly when the coverage between the channels is shared, the US is the main story, but there really should be some mention of this when BBC World News opts out.

Last edited:

fusionblue

BBC News could have, at the very least, put it in the rolling ticker at the bottom.

We have had it on since 0830 and it has not made any mention of it.

Antman

Established Member
Eh, the news story itself?

Not everyone is glued to the internet. Many will use television news as their main outlet for news.

The lack of even a mention on the BBC News Channel in the last number of hours is rather amazing, considering that BBC World left the coverage for breaks several times.

Well it will obviously be of great interest to enthusiasts but for most people it's no different to a serious road accident. Even on here there are far more posting about events in the USA.

Investigations into what happened are obviously for a later date.

Last edited:

bnm

Established Member

The fact that there has been an serious incident with loss of life. Not a single mention on BBC News Channel in the last 90 minutes. Not even a top of the hour headline.

Multiple fatalities on rail is unusual. Comparison with road accidents is spurious.

berneyarms

Established Member
Are they? Well it will obviously be of great interest to enthusiasts but for most people it's no different to a serious road accident.

Investigations into what happened are obviously for a later date.

I'm not talking about investigations - I just find it extraordinary (even given the massive developments in the US) that a major incident such as this has not even been mentioned on the primary UK news channel.

It is a major domestic news story.

Finally - at 12:26 it has now been covered when BBC World News breaks away.

Last edited:

FenMan

Established Member
The fact that there has been an serious incident with loss of life. Not a single mention on BBC News Channel in the last 90 minutes. Not even a top of the hour headline.

Multiple fatalities on rail is unusual. Comparison with road accidents is spurious.

This incident is the headline story on the UK section of the BBC News website - just click on "UK". The BBC has added a live stream for updates.

All Line Rover

Established Member
This incident is the headline story on the UK section of the BBC News website - just click on "UK". The BBC has added a live stream for updates.

The homepage is only visible to (and accessible by) UK visitors. It needn't account for worldwide visitors. There is a separate website for international visitors.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

This is the first rail incident involving loss of life in about a decade, is it not? If there haven't been any other accidents resulting in fatalities on light rail in recent years, the UK will have to confine its "clean safety record" to heavy rail only, which is undoubtedly significant. The UK should have a clean safety record across all forms of rail transport.

Last edited:

Established Member
One point seemingly being discussed this morning was maybe the driver was expecting daylight after the 400m tunnel - maybe start braking when in sight of the end. Somewhat doubtful - it's hardly a lengthy tunnel.

Established Member
What an utterly ridiculous comment...

It was the lead story on BBC Radio London's news bulletin at Noon.

Although, this was being shared earlier today.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-11-09 at 10.png
    Screenshot 2016-11-09 at 10.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.