• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

perryman

perryman

Clue 1: The start and finish of a very short non-stop Essex journey.
Clue 2: The sounds of fowls, if the beginning is at the end?

Calthrop

Established Member
Not Ingatestone again (as was an answer-station some weeks ago), I suppose? Really no idea why it might be...

RobertsN

As to a short non-stop, that would probably be Colchester/Colchester Town. However they don't fit the second clue.

However Clacton might fit the second ("clac" -> "cluck") but is not a "short" distance away from other stations.

perryman

As to a short non-stop, that would probably be Colchester/Colchester Town. However they don't fit the second clue.

However Clacton might fit the second ("clac" -> "cluck") but is not a "short" distance away from other stations.
The station concerned is not in Essex.

perryman

It's not Stonegate.

I'm struggling with a sensible 3rd clue so I'll give the answer in a couple of hours and if there's no correct response in the interim, I'll declare an open floor. Thanks.

Stonegate, however, contains part of the answer.

perryman

The answer was Shenstone - cherry picking from Shenfield/Ingatestone.

Open floor, please.

Calthrop

Established Member
At the risk of my seeming obsessed with marine life: Said the fish-curer in northerly location -- painstaking but muddlesome -- I salt my elite groupers.

duncanp

Established Member
Ditchling? (-ling is an ending to indicate something is short)

I wasn't aware there was a station at Ditchling, but in any case it is not the correct answer.

Think of a place of worship in Stranraer, and in French, Tonbridge.

duncanp

Established Member
Ninian Park?
The downtown church in Stranraer is St. Ninian's.

No it is not Ninian Park.

When I mentioned Stranraer and Tonbridge, I should have clarified that I mean the three letter codes for these stations.