• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Curry Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crawley Ben

Morning all

Whilst reading the latest edition of Steam Railway this morning, I noticed an article about a 'curry train' that is being operated by Vintage Trains but also acting as a loaded test run for the steam locomotive concerned (5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe). My question is, are 'curry trains' something that have operated on the mainline before? I can just imagine going out on one of these tours on a Saturday evening whilst doing a circular route (example being London Victoria to Victoria via Woking/Redhill). Does anybody on here think that such a trip could work financially etc if marketed properly? Or am I just living in cuckoo land?
I hope that those booked on the Vintage Trains trip have a good night out. Sounds like it should be a most enjoyable evening.

http://www.tyseleylocoworks.co.uk/tours/tr_2013_0328.htm

Dining

Premier Dining fares on this trip include:

World Class Curries by Deolali of Moseley
As we are out on the national rail network for the evening, we thought we would offer a unique opportunity to enjoy a world-class selection of curries as we whisk you around the East Midlands. Deolali of Moseley are providing a sumptuous selection of tasting dishes for your enjoyment from popadums & samosas to start; mango or pistachio kulfi for dessert.

Ben

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
Back in 2003 there were plans to run a series of 'Curry Train' evening specials from Sheffield/Chesterfield/Derby using locos and stock based at Barrwo Hill. It was a joint venture between the DPS, Fragonset, Merlin Rail and Barrow Hill but unfortunately it never came off.

GNER 373

There's a Northern ran Curry Train that leaves Newcastle Central and heads to a restaurant in Haltwhistle I believe. They take your order on board so it is awaiting for your arrival, never been on it myself but most people who I know who have said it was decent.

fireftrm

The Northern train is to Corbridge, for the Valley restaurant and when booked (you need 10 people I think) you are met by a member of the Valley's staff in full regalia and with a cool box, who takes your orders and serves you wine. The train has window notices to show it is the Valley Express, applied once it gets to Newcastle. It runs only in the one direction, but as the Valley restaurant is the Corbridge Railway Station buildings there is no difficulty for the return journey unaccompanied. I have done it, had to go into Newcastle passing the restaurant on the way in, to get the train back out with friends - who live in that area. A great night out.

GNER 373

The Northern train is to Corbridge, for the Valley restaurant and when booked (you need 10 people I think) you are met by a member of the Valley's staff in full regalia and with a cool box, who takes your orders and serves you wine. The train has window notices to show it is the Valley Express, applied once it gets to Newcastle. It runs only in the one direction, but as the Valley restaurant is the Corbridge Railway Station buildings there is no difficulty for the return journey unaccompanied. I have done it, had to go into Newcastle passing the restaurant on the way in, to get the train back out with friends - who live in that area. A great night out.

Corbridge! That's what I meant! So it's worth having a go then?

D6700

Back in 2003 there were plans to run a series of 'Curry Train' evening specials from Sheffield/Chesterfield/Derby using locos and stock based at Barrwo Hill. It was a joint venture between the DPS, Fragonset, Merlin Rail and Barrow Hill but unfortunately it never came off.

I remember that well, having done a group booking for friends at work.

Food storage issues were one of the problems, if I remember rightly...

Status
Not open for further replies.