• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Custom House DLR\Elizabeth Line Ticket Gateline

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFN

I should have taken a photo of its mumbo-jumbo.
Said photo here.

"Changing trains?

Remember to touch out at the end of your DLR journey before touching in at the Elizabeth line gates, to pay the correct fare

Touch in and out at the start and end of your DLR journey, to avoid paying more than you need."

Attachments

• 7D7F3A29-DBDC-4167-B2FC-6B03D0D03CDE.jpeg
    7D7F3A29-DBDC-4167-B2FC-6B03D0D03CDE.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 58
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Well it's getting there. They really need to point to where the most appropriate validator is.

miklcct

On Moderation
Said photo here.

"Changing trains?

Remember to touch out at the end of your DLR journey before touching in at the Elizabeth line gates, to pay the correct fare

Touch in and out at the start and end of your DLR journey, to avoid paying more than you need."
Isn't it a direct contradiction to the general use of Oyster, i.e. no touching when changing trains within a station unless on a pink reader?

Kenny G

Just bought a 1 year zone 3 to 6 travel card which I had put on an oyster. It was a borderline decision to move away from contactless and reading that contactless actually charges less in some instances, along with this CH mess is making me regret the decision.

TFN

Isn't it a direct contradiction to the general use of Oyster, i.e. no touching when changing trains within a station unless on a pink reader?
Biggest problem here is that on paper, they're two separate stations. With this set up, a couple of readers on top of the DLR escalators will alleviate some issues.

Just bought a 1 year zone 3 to 6 travel card which I had put on an oyster. It was a borderline decision to move away from contactless and reading that contactless actually charges less in some instances, along with this CH mess is making me regret the decision.
A travel card on oyster user doesn't need to tap out on DLR and tap in to EL, you can go straight through without extra charge.

Taunton

Established Member
Biggest problem here is that on paper, they're two separate stations. With this set up, a couple of readers on top of the DLR escalators will alleviate some issues.
My understanding is that there is not the space to be compliant with standards for the placing of DLR readers at the top (ie queue clear of escalator tops, etc). It's a real design cock-up, one of a number in the station. Presumably the architect still expects their design award for it though.

It seems to be exacerbated by an apparent turf war over the costs of a (sensible, ie not this silly and meaningless sign) solution between DLR and Elizabeth, this being the only station where the two actually touch and where DLR freestanding in-out validators are in use at an EL station. At the top of the escalator it's an EL sign pointing to the left directly into the EL gateline. The fact that DLR users are not tapped out there is presumably thought just tough.

plugwash

Established Member
The system has always been pretty inconsistent on whether you need to touch out and back in when changing modes. At the large central London terminals you have to touch out and back in to change from NR to LU or vice-versa. At many of the outlying and thameslink stations and at moorgate you do not. At paddington the Circle/hammersmith London underground platforms are seperate from the other LU platforms.

What compounds the issue in the case of the DLR is that DLR stations are generally unbarriered.

miklcct

On Moderation
The system has always been pretty inconsistent on whether you need to touch out and back in when changing modes. At the large central London terminals you have to touch out and back in to change from NR to LU or vice-versa. At many of the outlying and thameslink stations and at moorgate you do not. At paddington the Circle/hammersmith London underground platforms are seperate from the other LU platforms.
There are gatelines to force you to touch your card.

At Farringdon / Kentish Town / etc. you don't touch the card when changing between modes as there are no gates.

Kenny G

It is confusing since places like West Ham have a touch out / in for NR behind the gate line but nothing for DLR behind the gate line whereas at Limehouse I am always confused whether one needs to touch out of DLR before touching in to access the barrier to NR.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Custom House is two separate stations.

infobleep

Veteran Member
My understanding is that there is not the space to be compliant with standards for the placing of DLR readers at the top (ie queue clear of escalator tops, etc). It's a real design cock-up, one of a number in the station. Presumably the architect still expects their design award for it though.

It seems to be exacerbated by an apparent turf war over the costs of a (sensible, ie not this silly and meaningless sign) solution between DLR and Elizabeth, this being the only station where the two actually touch and where DLR freestanding in-out validators are in use at an EL station. At the top of the escalator, it's an EL sign pointing to the left directly into the EL gateline. The fact that DLR users are not tapped out there is presumably thought just tough.
Could validators not be put on the Custom House DLR platform with signs, so people tap out before going up the escalator?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It is confusing since places like West Ham have a touch out / in for NR behind the gate line but nothing for DLR behind the gate line whereas at Limehouse I am always confused whether one needs to touch out of DLR before touching in to access the barrier to NR.
Limehouse is a pain. There's a corridor connection between wb c2c and eb dlr. The c2c end is gated with a sign behind the gates saying welcome to the dlr. The dlr end has validators. It's easy to touch out on the gates and not touch in on the validators giving you a maximum fare when you touch out at your destination, which ends up as a touch in because it's another validator.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The general rule on PAYG is, in effect, that you don't need to touch out and in if you change trains within the same paid area. As you leave the paid area of the DLR station when you change onto the Elizabeth line, you need to touch out.

Dave W

. Presumably the architect still expects their design award for it though.
I strongly doubt it, having gone through it.

The problem is the covered way, presumably installed for Hardy conference visitors to keep dry from the DLR. Alighting, how do I use this as a Crossrail user? On the way out tonight it was the only way to the platforms.

Edit: In hindsight, I suspect that as I was a late afternoon arrival they had already reconfigured for the popular route (exit) to be covered. Fair enough.

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
There are various temporary passenger flow arrangements brought into use at Custom House when there are substantial trade shows at the adjacent Excel centre. When the shows are ending the normal DLR platform entrance, for example, is blocked off with barriers (thus also preventing the alternative walking route to the secondary EL gates as well), and those going into the DLR, including transfers from the EL, are sent by a secondary (and unsignposted) walkway route on the opposite side of the approach concourse which snakes around and eventually goes down to the DLR platform. Quite what this actually achieves I have never understood, it means that DLR passengers now have to walk head-on through the departing Excel crowds.

The escalator usage at the station is bizarre, with the two upwards escalators from the DLR for the "problem" connecting route to the EL being the only ones for DLR usage - all other access is by steps. Meanwhile, from the higher level EL concourse the fixed signage pointing down to the EL platform has, since opening day, pointed down the escalator coming in the opposite direction, upwards. The downwards escalator is further along, unsignposted. Any safety audit would have spotted this in a flash, but it's been like this since EL opening day a year ago.

Smiker

Just been caught out at Custom House when trying to get Elizabeth line to Farringdon. Charged £1.80 to go from Custom House to Custom House (1.80 even though less than 60 seconds!). I didnt know there was a gateline for Elizabeth line and tapped in the validator on arrival at the "station". Of course, round the next bend is the gateline! Given there is no transport from DLR to Elizabeth line, I was surprised there was a valid fare!

Of course, fully expect that TFL will correct but just for awareness.

1687526478722.png

Status
Not open for further replies.