• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Customer Service, West Coast Railways-style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Yesterday a family member and I travelled on the Royal Duchy railtour from Bristol to Par and back, operated by West Coast Railways on behalf of the Railway Touring Company. The train engine was 6233 Duchess of Sutherland with 47813 giving light assistance on the rear, plus hauling the diesel-only legs west of Plymouth. The whole trip, itinerary (including coach shuttle to/from Charlestown or Fowey), locomotive turnout and performance, rolling stock, timekeeping and overall organisation was very good, to the usual high standard I’ve experienced with this railtour company (RTC) in the past.

However there were a couple of on-train incidents that left a very bad taste in our mouths and unfortunately will likely remain the abiding memory of what should have been a perfect day out. Our seats were in the Mk1 corridor brake composite (BCK) which we had specifically requested due to my companion needing the extra kneeroom. Therefore we were sharing with two other travellers (who joined separately), who were both very pleasant company, one of whom was enjoying their first railtour experience. The BCK has a side corridor allowing safe enjoyment of the view from a standing position, looking through the open toplight windows.

The first incident occurred about 30 mins after departing Bristol on the outbound run. Our RTC steward, a very nice quite elderly chap, was given a public dressing down by the train guard, in front of passengers, for ‘not policing the corridors enough, I’m having to do it for you!’ This rather unpleasant gentleman then continued to make frequent passes up and down the corridor, accusing people of sticking their heads out of the window. At no point did I actually see anyone doing this.

The second incident of a similar nature occurred during our departure from Plymouth on the return; 6233 was being given her head for the run at Hemerdon bank and about 8-10 people were standing in the corridor listening to the fantastic soundtrack. I was standing next to the picture window at the end of the corridor near the guard’s office, recording the run on my phone, which was fully inside the train. Without warning I suddenly found myself being manhandled out of the way - the guard had spotted someone further down the corridor with a portion of their phone out of the window. He forced his way through and very irately shouted at this chap to ‘get inside your compartment, sit down and behave.’ I suspect the ‘don’t lean out’ rule was being slightly breached but the way in which it was enforced was disgusting. By coincidence the passenger involved was the ‘first timer’ from our compartment. The guard then proceeded further down the train.

The third incident occurred about five mins later. We’d completed a cracking ascent of Hemerdon and were hammering our way up to Ivybridge. I was now standing at the window next to our compartment, having put my phone away. I was leaning my forehead against the wood panelling above the toplight, with my arms resting against the handrail inside the coach. Again, at no time was any part of my anatomy outside the train in any way, I was simply enjoying the run and the breeze / smell of coal-fired exhaust. For the second time I was without warning roughly manhandled backwards into the compartment - our guard was returning to his office. He stood in my face and angrily told me to ‘stop putting parts of my body out of the train, like I told you before!‘ (We hadn’t previously spoken) ‘If you can’t follow the rules (I was) then sit down, stay in your compartment and behave!’

This was beyond tolerating and I felt obliged to stand up to him. He laughed at me in exasperation, shook his head, went into the spare compartment slammed the door and put the internal blinds down. We didn’t see him again until Exeter where he was relieved by a colleague (apparently the booked move.). I can only think that he had mistaken me for the passenger he previously dressed down.

This last incident ruined what should have been a really good day out. I am 100% in favour of the ban on window hanging and agree that people should be warned about allowing even a mobile phone to protrude outside. However there is absolutely no reason why paying customers should not stand in the corridor - it’s far safer than standing at a droplight door! - and the way which this guard was treating people was frankly disgusting. I said to my companion that if I was manhandled another time I’d be filing assault charges - what on earth are West Coast Railways training their staff in customer service!? The standard class ticket price was £130 and people want to hear the locomotive working and enjoy the sensory experience of heritage steam train travel. Unfortunately experiences like this are unlikely to do much to support the railtour market in the future. During the whole trip, the only people I witnessed window-hanging were WCR’s own staff - some of whom did not appear to be working the train.

Apologies for the long tale, I needed to get it off my chest as it’s still leaving a really sour taste. I’m considering submitting a complaint to RTC but I know it wasn’t their staff member (indeed their volunteers were excellent.) Another part of me thinks this absolute piece of work shouldnt be allowed anywhere near paying customers.

What do people think, and do you have your own experiences of unreasonable staff on railtours?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Buchholz Relay

You have been physically assaulted (and so has the other person who was ‘manhandled’).

Never mind about waiting for it to happen again, once is enough. You should report this to the police. Don’t let this creature get away with it againon more unsuspecting customers hoping to enjoy their day out.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
You have been physically assaulted (and so has the other person who was ‘manhandled’).

Never mind about waiting for it to happen again, once is enough. You should report this to the police. Don’t let this creature get away with it againon more unsuspecting customers hoping to enjoy their day out.

Not that I wholly disagree, but this would feel like an overreaction. IMO if someone was actually putting themselves in danger such as by window hanging, the guard would have the right to ‘manhandle’ them. Similarly pushing past someone in a corridor is a fact of life, but doing it roughly without warning is an extremely impolite action.

Last edited by a moderator:

Towers

Established Member
You need to report this, to both the RTC and to West Coast directly. Make particular emphasis regarding the fact that hands were repeatedly laid on customers, and point out that such behaviour could be viewed as assault. Also mention that one of the people concerned was a first time customer. I can't imagine the tour operator would approve of such antics, and with a bit of luck may request to WCR that said individual is not supplied in future, or at the very least that appropriate words are had. I know WCR aren't renowned as being the most professional organisation, so they might or might not give a stuff, but hopefully their client will if nothing else!

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
You need to report this, to both the RTC and to West Coast directly. Make particular emphasis regarding the fact that hands were repeatedly laid on customers, and point out that such behaviour could be viewed as assault. Also mention that one of the people concerned was a first time customer. I can't imagine the tour operator would approve of such antics, and with a bit of luck may request to WCR that said individual is not supplied in future, or at the very least that appropriate words are had. I know WCR aren't renowned as being the most professional organisation, so they might or might not give a stuff, but hopefully their client will if nothing else!

I may do that, thank you for the advice. I felt very sorry for the chap on his first railtour, he was visibly upset when his filming effort was ruined, he’d been trying to create something to share on social media. From a common sense perspective his action (resting arms in the window, phone mostly outside) was technically in breach but in practice was not endangering anything except his phone itself.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I agree with this. The behaviour of the guard far from protecting the train and passengers is liable to cause the exact opposite by escalating a situation to the point where someone is likely to be assaulted (quite possibly him) if he doesn’t receive some training on people management.

LowLevel

Established Member
The matter regarding the droplight windows will be resolved next year as window bars will be fitted to charter rolling stock, the organisation I work with has already done a trial fitting.

As for the side corridor, as both a passenger and a member of staff I do find people occupying that quite an irritant - when you're trying to get up and down all day long constantly having to ask people who aren't paying attention to what is going on around them to step back inside their compartment - not squash into the window forcing my very large bulk to attempt to squeeze behind them in a compromising position - becomes very tedious. There is a window inside the compartment.

However, there are ways and means and bar tapping someone to get their attention I certainly wouldn't be hauling them out of the way. It's less bad than 5 years ago when you'd have to try and shift people with their heads out of the window.

Regarding putting anything out of the window - it is well known that that is banned, plenty of people will be photographing the train from the lineside, and if photos emerge of people doing so on social media the train operator can expect a phone call at Director/Control level from their friendly ORR inspector.

Customer service however - it's never acceptable to be rude or grab people. I wouldn't expect a huge amount of sympathy for your complaint from WCRC though.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
The matter regarding the droplight windows will be resolved next year as window bars will be fitted to charter rolling stock, the organisation I work with has already done a trial fitting.

As for the side corridor, as both a passenger and a member of staff I do find people occupying that quite an irritant - when you're trying to get up and down all day long constantly having to ask people who aren't paying attention to what is going on around them to step back inside their compartment - not squash into the window forcing my very large bulk to attempt to squeeze behind them in a compromising position - becomes very tedious. There is a window inside the compartment.

However, there are ways and means and bar tapping someone to get their attention I certainly wouldn't be hauling them out of the way. It's less bad than 5 years ago when you'd have to try and shift people with their heads out of the window.

Regarding putting anything out of the window - it is well known that that is banned, plenty of people will be photographing the train from the lineside, and if photos emerge of people doing so on social media the train operator can expect a phone call at Director/Control level from their friendly ORR inspector.

Customer service however - it's never acceptable to be rude or grab people. I wouldn't expect a huge amount of sympathy for your complaint from WCRC though.

I take your point about the corridor but as you’re someone involved with running these tours, I‘d hope you’re aware of why people are prepared to pay a lot of money to ride on them in the first place. (Generally speaking, I‘m able to justify it once a year, so we pick and choose the loco/route we want.) If you drive the customers away by treating them as an inconvenience - I mean really, having to ask to pass in the corridor?! - then there will be no railtour business.

Good news about the window bars though. As someone with vertigo I find walking past an open droplight at speed rather disconcerting, hanging out of one would be unthinkable.

LowLevel

Established Member
I take your point about the corridor but as you’re someone involved with running these tours, I‘d hope you’re aware of why people are prepared to pay a lot of money to ride on them in the first place. (Generally speaking, I‘m able to justify it once a year, so we pick and choose the loco/route we want.) If you drive the customers away by treating them as an inconvenience - I mean really, having to ask to pass in the corridor?! - then there will be no railtour business.

Good news about the window bars though. As someone with vertigo I find walking past an open droplight at speed rather disconcerting, hanging out of one would be unthinkable.
Of course. You'd never actually get the impression from me that I was irritated, because I would like to think that I am professional enough not to present that - however as we are discussing the matter on a thread I can absolutely confirm that for decades people hanging around in side corridors has driven me nuts - both as a train guard and as a passenger trying to move around the train myself.

Whether it's the aforementioned squeezing into the window implying I should squash myself behind them when I'm walking the train, or the number of times I've slopped pints of beer or cups of tea trying to get around someone on my way back from the buffet it does my head in.

I should say I find the corridors themselves to be annoying - I'm over 6 foot tall, broad shouldered and weigh somewhere over 17 stone. They are not designed for someone of my size to pass by and to comfortably cross someone is not possible.

I absolutely understand the motivation, but it doesn't make me any happier about it inside :smile:

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Of course. You'd never actually get the impression from me that I was irritated, because I would like to think that I am professional enough not to present that - however as we are discussing the matter on a thread I can absolutely confirm that for decades people hanging around in side corridors has driven me nuts - both as a train guard and as a passenger trying to move around the train myself.

Whether it's the aforementioned squeezing into the window implying I should squash myself behind them when I'm walking the train, or the number of times I've slopped pints of beer or cups of tea trying to get around someone on my way back from the buffet it does my head in.

I should say I find the corridors themselves to be annoying - I'm over 6 foot tall, broad shouldered and weigh somewhere over 17 stone. They are not designed for someone of my size to pass by and to comfortably cross someone is not possible.

I absolutely understand the motivation, but it doesn't make me any happier about it inside :smile:

As a 5ft 11 wide set chap of 19 stone I definitely feel your pain. It’s the traditional guard’s experI ence from the steam age when all stock was corridor! (At least you don’t have to clamber along the outside of the train any more…)

railfan99

Established Member
I am travelling from Australia on an RTC tour soon, hopefully (provided there's not a rail strike!)

Generally, they seem an excellent operator.

I have only ever been on one UK railtour previously, almost 30 years ago. It went through Blackburn and was excellent but I can't recall which company operated it.

Is the guard a West Coast Railways employee, or in this case, a GWR staffer? Not a volunteer?

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
I am travelling from Australia on an RTC tour soon, hopefully (provided there's not a rail strike!)

Is the guard a West Coast Railways employee, or in this case, a GWR staffer? Not a volunteer?

In this case, the railtour is operated by West Coast Railway Company, using WCRC coaches, guard, locomotive crew etc (who are all paid staff), on behalf of the tour operator Railway Touring Company who provide the on board volunteer stewards, buffet staff etc. I’m assuming the kitchen and dining staff are also RTC but paid employees.

High Dyke

Established Member
I can't speak for this particular incident, but having been a guard or steward on these types of tour in previous years, it's how the matter is handled.

I would approach the situation with a fair but firm policy. Politely remind people of the danger when around the door/window area. If I can't get by someone an excuse me, which may need reinforcing with a gentle tap on the shoulder should be sufficient. There's no excuse for rudeness and manhandling a person.

However, I do agree with LowLevel that it can be annoying when trying to carry out your duties.

Iskra

Established Member
A few things here, firstly laying hands on someone is battery, not assault. Secondly, involving the police is ridiculous. Thirdly, while this staff member does appear to have an attitude problem, if directed to sit in your compartment and behave, it is sensible to cease and desist the behaviour that is attracting that response. Repeatedly ignoring staff requests to not endanger yourself (in their opinion) and ignore the notices that ask you not to remain by the windows, and state that the windows must be up, is unreasonable. I like a bit of fresh air on a railtour as much as anyone else, but I think it's important to listen to the steward/guards instructions and if being near a window is winding them up, moving away from it is sensible. It's always sensible to keep the train staff on your side, and complying with staff instructions and building a rapport can work in your favour later on on the tour.

I've travelled on a number of WCRC operated tours this year (and previously) and I have overall been extremely impressed with the common sense approach to stewarding and guarding, so this example runs against the grain in my experience.

James H

I think people also have to recognise that the stakes are quite high here - if someone untoward were to happen as a result of someone sticking their phone (or more) out of the window, the consequences for mainline charters (and heritage rail generally) would likely be significant.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Unfortunately it isn't true that problem will be resolved. The Cumbrian Coast LHCS had window bars yet I've seen photographs on the internet from people using selfie sticks to poke their phone through. Some people just won't behave no matter what you do.

philthetube

Established Member
The first incident occurred about 30 mins after departing Bristol on the outbound run. Our RTC steward, a very nice quite elderly chap, was given a public dressing down by the train guard, in front of passengers, for ‘not policing the corridors enough, I’m having to do it for you!’ This rather unpleasant gentleman then continued to make frequent passes up and down the corridor, accusing people of sticking their heads out of the window. At no point did I actually see anyone doing this.
This is never acceptable.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Unfortunately it isn't true that problem will be resolved. The Cumbrian Coast LHCS had window bars yet I've seen photographs on the internet from people using selfie sticks to poke their phone through. Some people just won't behave no matter what you do.

If someone sticks a selfie stick out and loses their phone, who cares? That's their several hundred quid in the bin. The whole basis behind it is avoiding bodily injury and the associated cleanup and disruption. If you're not stood beyond the yellow line you're not going to get clouted.

Arms out might be an issue but it depends on the design of the bars. Better might be to refit the standard Mk1 internal handles (a design for which already exists) and lock the droplights entirely?

(Such a shame BR didn't go for the UIC folding door)

Bertie the bus

Established Member
If someone sticks a selfie stick out and loses their phone, who cares?
You need to read James H's post. If someone sticks a selfie stick out of the window, a passing train hits it and the driver reported the incident then someone definitely would care.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
If someone sticks a selfie stick out and loses their phone, who cares? That's their several hundred quid in the bin. The whole basis behind it is avoiding bodily injury and the associated cleanup and disruption. If you're not stood beyond the yellow line you're not going to get clouted.

Arms out might be an issue but it depends on the design of the bars. Better might be to refit the standard Mk1 internal handles (a design for which already exists) and lock the droplights entirely?

(Such a shame BR didn't go for the UIC folding door)
Newton's third law of dynamics would apply, likely resulting in injury or damage inside the train from a selfie stick suddenly being catapulted at speed. I'm sure other affected parties might care.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
A few things here, firstly laying hands on someone is battery, not assault. Secondly, involving the police is ridiculous. Thirdly, while this staff member does appear to have an attitude problem, if directed to sit in your compartment and behave, it is sensible to cease and desist the behaviour that is attracting that response. Repeatedly ignoring staff requests to not endanger yourself (in their opinion) and ignore the notices that ask you not to remain by the windows, and state that the windows must be up, is unreasonable. I like a bit of fresh air on a railtour as much as anyone else, but I think it's important to listen to the steward/guards instructions and if being near a window is winding them up, moving away from it is sensible. It's always sensible to keep the train staff on your side, and complying with staff instructions and building a rapport can work in your favour later on on the tour.

I've travelled on a number of WCRC operated tours this year (and previously) and I have overall been extremely impressed with the common sense approach to stewarding and guarding, so this example runs against the grain in my experience.

Which notices were they? From what I could see, the toplight windows have a notice that says ‘do not lean out of the window’ which was being complied with. Other than the WCRC staff themselves, I didn’t see anyone leaning out of a drop-down door window all day. There are no signs prohibiting standing / moving about the corridor - if this were to be banned then matters would get quite messy during the day. Not even the mainline TOCs object to this, free movement / standing in the gangways, vestibules etc is a customer’s right on a train. As an aside, at one point earlier in the day I did try to raise one of the nearby door droplights to reduce draught / noise but it appears to have been jammed in the lowered position.

Iskra

Established Member
Which notices were they? From what I could see, the toplight windows have a notice that says ‘do not lean out of the window’ which was being complied with. Other than the WCRC staff themselves, I didn’t see anyone leaning out of a drop-down door window all day. There are no signs prohibiting standing / moving about the corridor - if this were to be banned then matters would get quite messy during the day. Not even the mainline TOCs object to this, free movement / standing in the gangways, vestibules etc is a customer’s right on a train. As an aside, at one point earlier in the day I did try to raise one of the nearby door droplights to reduce draught / noise but it appears to have been jammed in the lowered position.
The red ones on every door.

Train Maniac

Nobody likes cleaning up splattered human, and to that end i totally understand why this is so heavily enforced. But removing the ability to stand/lean by a window and enjoy the smoke getting firmly embedded in your hair, listening to the loco working hard takes away from the experience. Why shell out £100 when you can sit on a sprinter unit with the hopper windows open for 3/4 of that price and get the same experience out the window?

Status
Not open for further replies.