• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

cycle space on 222 meridians - an idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianthegiant

I have observed a lot of problems with cycle space on 222s
222s carry 142 or 342 passengers depending on formation, but have only 2 cycle spaces. This is particularly problematic when the cycle compartment is at the front of the train and the passageway to the drivers door must be kept clear at all times. If space is tight this causes delays and problems for train managers.

The cycle locker/ train managers office has changed a bit since conception. The train managers computer terminal is now covered with a locked door, so the door to this compartment is generally left open by most train managers for ease of loading cycles.
The cupboards above the cycle space are generally not used (not lockable).
Half of the cupboards have now been removed and replaced with a luggage rack, I think on all 222 stock.
This luggage rack is also very rarely used because a) most passengers want line of sight with their luggage in line with security announcements, b) many passengers dont like lifting heavy luggage above waist height.

I propose that the remaining cupboards and the luggage rack above the cycle space be removed, and hooks be installed on the ceiling (as is the case on 221 voyagers and 390 pendolino stock). This arrangement would create a flexible space for up to 4 bicycles.
It would be more flexible, because in the common case there are only 2 cycles, there would also be space for a pushchair or large items of luggage.

This work could be done as part of a major maintenance job, anyone know if one is due?

nb Before you tell me about rules, yes I know cycles are supposed to be reserved etc etc. Whilst anyone would be crazy not to reserve for a long journey. for a 10-15 minute 1 stop journey it really isn't worth the hassle of getting a reservation. A reasonably sensible 1st come 1st served system usually prevails for non-reservation holders.

just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this before I feed it into an EMT stakeholder meeting.

cheers, Brian

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hello

if you have a bike, why not use it for what it was intended. riding it i believe, and stop cluttering trains up with them :D

The Ham

Established Member
Anything that allows our trains to carry more cycles should be encouraged.

I would suggest that even though I think that cycle reservations should be removed, given the number of people that use our trains removing it could cause problems and so where it is currently a requirement then it should probably remain. This is because I'd rather know I can book a cycle space than not be able to travel at all services within a set time because they fall under a blanket cycle ban, even though some parts of routes under the ban are quiet enough for such a ban to not be required.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
if you have a bike, why not use it for what it was intended. riding it i believe, and stop cluttering trains up with them :D

Then the cyclist gets moaned at for cluttering up the roads by car drivers! :lol:

brianthegiant

yes, very good, I often do the 30 mile round trip to Lboro, But it's not something I necesarily want to do every day..

met331

its a great idea as long as cyclists dont mind paying £10 for the priviledge of their bicycle being carried. The rail companies are not gonna pay to refurbish trains without an end product. They may operate public transport but they expect a return on their investment

Status
Not open for further replies.