• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CymruConnect combined rail & bus tickets in Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

beargy

Has anyone bought a CymruConnect combined rail & bus ticket recently or know if the scheme's even still operational?

ATW have this page on their website - http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/Templates/Content.aspx?pageid=1071 - but I can't seem to find much more information on it online anywhere.

If I understand it correctly, it allows combined rail and bus tickets to be purchased from any ATW ticket desk for through travel to certain destinations in Wales which no longer have railway stations but which are served by the TrawsCymru bus network.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
When this was introduced, I seem to recall that there were reports that it was often cheaper to buy separate tickets than to buy the CymruConnect. I haven't heard of it being withdrawn, so I expect you should be able to buy one at a ticket office if you wanted to.

transmanche

Established Member
When this was introduced, I seem to recall that there were reports that it was often cheaper to buy separate tickets than to buy the CymruConnect. I haven't heard of it being withdrawn, so I expect you should be able to buy one at a ticket office if you wanted to.
On the page that the OP mentioned, it lists Aberaeron as one of the destinations available. A glance at BRfares.com reveals destinations of 'Aberaeron Bus' and 'Aberaeron AYWBus' (the latter presumably indicating travel via Aberystwyth).

From Cardiff to 'Aberaeron Bus' an Off-Peak Return via Llanelli costs £33.10 and Advance Singles from £13.00. To 'Aberaeron AYWBus' an Off-Peak Return costs £66.95 and Advance Singles via Shrewsbury from £23.40.

My conclusion is that CymruConnect is simply just a marketing name for normal train+bus tickets - albeit a very poorly supported marketing name!

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, myself and seven other forum members bought and used a ticket between Bangor and Caernarfon last week.

transmanche

Established Member
As an aside, does anyone know why you can't buy combined train and bus tickets online? (Or is there somewhere that does sell them online?) Obviously you can buy PlusBus tickets online, but seemingly not simple train and bus tickets.

Romilly

Established Member
To start with, it needs the final destination to be in the list of stations in the journey planner. By way of example, there is a railbus link between Leuchars railway station and St Andrews bus station. But the last time I tried looking for a ticket through to St Andrews, although St Andrews Bus (SAO) was in the list of stations on the Virgin Trains East Coast mixing deck, it wasn't in the list used by the front page of their journey planner.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
My conclusion is that CymruConnect is simply just a marketing name for normal train+bus tickets - albeit a very poorly supported marketing name!

Your conclusion is most probably spot on.

I haven't kept track of the facility, and I doubt I'd ever use it. Maybe the fares have been tweaked to make them better value compared with separate tickets as a result of the initial criticism, which may only have been applicable to one or two flows in any case.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
If I understand it correctly, it allows combined rail and bus tickets to be purchased from any ATW ticket desk for through travel to certain destinations in Wales which no longer have railway stations but which are served by the TrawsCymru bus network.
Going by the map (which is out of date anyway, as several of the service numbers have changed) it isn't only TrawsCymru buses involved. For example, the Cardigan-Carmarthen link on the map is not a TrawsCymru service.

On the page that the OP mentioned, it lists Aberaeron as one of the destinations available. A glance at BRfares.com reveals destinations of 'Aberaeron Bus' and 'Aberaeron AYWBus' (the latter presumably indicating travel via Aberystwyth).
Mixing Deck (I'm using the First Great Western site) has neither of those destinations, but it does have Aberaeron (AER). Despite this, it is unable to find fares to/from Aberaeron. I think much better integration with journey planners is needed.

As an aside, does anyone know why you can't buy combined train and bus tickets online? (Or is there somewhere that does sell them online?) Obviously you can buy PlusBus tickets online, but seemingly not simple train and bus tickets.
Mixing Deck (again, FirstGW's site) shows me fares and services to/from "Minehead Bus" (XBW) but I've not tried booking and that's the only bus link I'm aware of that appears on a railway journey planner.

beargy

The staff at the ATW ticket desk at Cardiff Central seem to be completely unaware of CymruConnect unfortunately. I'll contact Arriva and ask them about it (and whether it is actually any cheaper than buying separate tickets).

(As an aside, the TrawsCymru T4 bus from Merthyr to Brecon in both directions was very well timed to connect with the trains (even on a Sunday) though, so we were pleasantly surprised at how well the journey from Cathays to Brecon worked for a day trip without having to drive.)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The staff at the ATW ticket desk at Cardiff Central seem to be completely unaware of CymruConnect unfortunately. I'll contact Arriva and ask them about it (and whether it is actually any cheaper than buying separate tickets).

Are you calling it "CymruConnect" or asking for a ticket to "*wherever* Bus?"

The reason I ask is that the tickets are generally in the system as *placename* bus (eg. Caernarfon Bus), but exceptions apply, see the second column on this list: http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/CymruConnect/. The staff can just type in the origin and destination as you tell them; the brand name is probably meaningless to them.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Mojo is right. I think there's far more chance of getting the ticket you desire if you avoid the marketing name, which seems to be little known, and just explain what you want.

beargy

I did try explaining it as well with no success unfortunately - thanks for the tip though, I'll try asking for that next time.

extendedpaul

(As an aside, the TrawsCymru T4 bus from Merthyr to Brecon in both directions was very well timed to connect with the trains (even on a Sunday) though, so we were pleasantly surprised at how well the journey from Cathays to Brecon worked for a day trip without having to drive.)

I had similar problems buying and using the First South Wales Bus and Rail Card. The price has remained at £10 for years which is cheaper than a day return between Newport and Swansea but hardly anyone seems to buy them and bus drivers look at them very suspiciously.

Status
Not open for further replies.