• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Danger UXB! Plymouth to Liskeard and Gunnislake cancellations 23/02/24

John Luxton

Established Member
GWR web site showing cancellations today between up to 20:00 on services between Plymouth and Liskeard / Gunnislake.

This is due to an unexploded 500kg Luftwaffe bomb being discovered in a back garden earlier this week at Keyham.

The bomb is due to be removed and taken out to sea for disposal.

Plenty of detail on the BBC Devon Regional news pages.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I’m caught up in this disruption. Currently on a train to Penzance and getting the sleeper back tonight after going to a rugby match.

Looks like the whole thing’s scuppered.

Crossover

Established Member
I’m caught up in this disruption. Currently on a train to Penzance and getting the sleeper back tonight after going to a rugby match.

An update on the BBC feed about an hour ago states
"Great Western Railway (GWR) said the line between Plymouth and Liskeard will be shut from 14:00 to 18:00 GMT while the World War Two bomb is moved."

Starmill

Veteran Member
An unexploded Second World War bomb found at a property in Plymouth will be removed and transported by military convoy through the city for disposal at sea. Until 18:00, the emergency services require the railway to be closed between Plymouth and Gunnislake / Liskeard.

Customers are advised to not attempt to travel between Plymouth and Gunnislake / Liskeard until at least 18:00.

The removal of the bomb will also impact the road network in the area. No rail replacement transport will be provided.

Customer advice:

Towards Devon and Cornwall:

Avoid travel beyond Plymouth and delay your journey - tickets for today will be valid later today and tomorrow (Saturday 24 February)

From Cornwall:

Avoid travel beyond Liskeard and delay your journey - tickets for today will be valid later today and tomorrow (Saturday 24 February)

The line closure may also affect some services immediately after 18:00 and customers are advised to check their journey before travelling.

The main news implies the line may need to remain closed beyond 1800.

AdamWW

Established Member
An update on the BBC feed about an hour ago states
"Great Western Railway (GWR) said the line between Plymouth and Liskeard will be shut from 14:00 to 18:00 GMT while the World War Two bomb is moved."

Curiously, I was in Germany once when there was disruption because a 2nd World War bomb had been found near a railway line.

John Luxton

Established Member
The route the bomb is being taken on is shown on the Cornwall Live web site

It is a fairly short distance though it does pass under the railway.

They are getting it to the water at the Torpoint Ferry Devonport Terminal.

Perhaps should not take too long?

Flying Snail

Established Member

Not sure if it's any use but there is Go Cornwall bus 11 to Liskeard from near Plymouth station.

Pemberton

I'm on the way to St. Ives. The XC reached Plymouth as expected around 1349. My connection at 1418 was cancelled and live train times suggest a train to Penzance may run at 1746. The only other option seemed to be a National Express bus as far as Truro so we're in a Wetherspoon's just waiting and watching train times being updated. Staff at Plymouth Station confirmed there were no buses and I'm probably too late to think of getting to Liskeard for what I've just noticed is a 1614 train from there.

Recessio

A rare use for the "...due to an unexploded Second World War bomb" announcement in the tannoy systems?

John Luxton

Established Member
A rare use for the "...due to an unexploded Second World War bomb" announcement in the tannoy systems?
Should claims for "delay repay" be sent to Kladower Damm, 18214089 Berlin, Deutschland?

Current Luftwaffe HQ apparently!

Trackman

Established Member
I wonder if it's a parachute mine gone off course, as the Royal Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team are dealing with it too. Location would make sense. Any photos of said bomb?

VP185

I wonder if it's a parachute mine gone off course, as the Royal Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team are dealing with it too. Location would make sense. Any photos of said bomb?

It’s an SC 500.

John Luxton

Established Member
Not not a parachute mine it was identified in a news report as an SC500 500kg bomb. Presumably the RN became involved due to the very close proximity of the dock yard and probably first on scene?

CarltonA

The RN bomb disposal teams cover certain areas and the Army cover others. Sometimes the Navy pass the buck like happened in Exeter recently, as the Army are better equipped for certain scenarios. Unfortunately it went a bit wrong and a fair bit of damage was done.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Don't know if it's that rare; in London we get incidents like this several times a year.

Trackman

Established Member
Not not a parachute mine it was identified in a news report as an SC500 500kg bomb. Presumably the RN became involved due to the very close proximity of the dock yard and probably first on scene?
Ah, I see a SC500, that would make a bang. Do they ever reveal the fuse type, or can they not identify it?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I'm on the way to St. Ives. The XC reached Plymouth as expected around 1349. My connection at 1418 was cancelled and live train times suggest a train to Penzance may run at 1746. The only other option seemed to be a National Express bus as far as Truro so we're in a Wetherspoon's just waiting and watching train times being updated. Staff at Plymouth Station confirmed there were no buses and I'm probably too late to think of getting to Liskeard for what I've just noticed is a 1614 train from there.

Yes no replacement road transport as the exclusion zone prevent this, apparently.

The exile

Established Member
Should claims for "delay repay" be sent to Kladower Damm, 18214089 Berlin, Deutschland?

Current Luftwaffe HQ apparently!
Probably not a good idea - the compensation claims coming the other way would be far higher. Turn up on a very regular basis over there….

AdamWW

Established Member
Yes no replacement road transport as the exclusion zone prevent this, apparently.

Unlike a train, would replacement buses not have a method of getting around the cordon even if they couldn't serve Plymouth itself?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Unlike a train, would replacement buses not have a method of getting around the cordon even if they couldn't serve Plymouth itself?

They theoretically could, but you'd have to get the passengers off at Totnes probably and then run up the A38 around Plymouth which is quite an undertaking.

AdamWW

Established Member
They theoretically could, but you'd have to get the passengers off at Totnes probably and then run up the A38 around Plymouth which is quite an undertaking.

Ah fair enough.

It's just that somehow it often seems to be impossible to run rail replacement buses due to flooding etc. while somehow local buses and National Express manage to get through.

(I do realise that it may not be possible to obtain buses, but that's a different matter to saying that road conditions prevent them from running).

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Ah fair enough.

It's just that somehow it often seems to be impossible to run rail replacement buses due to flooding etc. while somehow local buses and National Express manage to get through.

(I do realise that it may not be possible to obtain buses, but that's a different matter to saying that road conditions prevent them from running).

Well primarily local buses and National Express are scheduled.

It's not difficult to run the buses, and you've hit the nail on the head that it is harder to obtain, make a schedule and get suitable numbers to run a reasonable service at a consistent pattern that won't get overwhelmed.

richw

Veteran Member
Rubbish.

From the station, across towards mutley via north hill, or out to marsh mills. Probably even milehouse and out via Outland road to the a38.
Actually wolseley road isn’t affected so it can go normal route out of Plymouth towards camels head.
There is no route leaving the city towards the a38 impacted by the exclusion zone.

However the military have requested PSV vehicles in the area to assist with the evacuation.

The road is also closed….
No it’s not

The red road visible just above the top right of the exclusion zone is the route taken by the 11 and rail replacement when leaving the station towards Cornwall

Attachments

• IMG_3803.jpeg
    IMG_3803.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 63

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Probably not a good idea - the compensation claims coming the other way would be far higher. Turn up on a very regular basis over there….

My son worked for a while in Berlin - his boss came in incandescent with range one morning - he blamed the discovery of a (British) WW2 bomb for his taking two alternative trains on a diverted route and he got a good telling off.

Next day - all back to normal in the Potsdam area and boss apologised - it turned out to be an USA once.

AdamWW

Established Member
Well primarily local buses and National Express are scheduled.

It's not difficult to run the buses, and you've hit the nail on the head that it is harder to obtain, make a schedule and get suitable numbers to run a reasonable service at a consistent pattern that won't get overwhelmed.

Yes of course.

I'd just prefer railway companies to tell me the truth and when they say that road conditions prevent replacement buses from running it's a bit hard to believe when scheduled buses and coaches are running as normal.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Rubbish.

From the station, across towards mutley via north hill, or out to marsh mills. Probably even milehouse and out via Outland road to the a38.
Actually wolseley road isn’t affected so it can go normal route out of Plymouth towards camels head.
There is no route leaving the city towards the a38 impacted by the exclusion zone.

Yes if was excluded. I don't know, but the communications had said it was.

Yes of course.

I'd just prefer railway companies to tell me the truth and when they say that road conditions prevent replacement buses from running it's a bit hard to believe when scheduled buses and coaches are running as normal.

Yes not ideal communications and it could easily be explained in another manner that says the same thing. Or the scheduled buses can take up the slack (doubtful), so deemed not required.