• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Darlington & Tees Valley Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBY-Paul

Something strange has happened in the recent Timetable Change.

I was looking at booking a journey from Thornaby(TBY) to Reading(RDG) and noticed that Darlington(DAR) didn't feature in many results, I thought it was just an anomaly, so out of curiosity I did a search TBY to King's Cross (KGX), and again the results involved either a change at York(YRK) or Eaglescliffe(EAG), nothing involved a change at DAR.

Because of the prices, I've ended up booking the journey as DAR to RDG, with a significant saving, and will either catch a train from TBY to DAR and wait 30+ mins, or more likely arrange something else that gets me to Darlington 10mins before the train arrives.

I'm not sure if this counts as a downgrade for Darlington-Tees Valley line or an Upgrade to the Middlesbrough- York service.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TBY-Paul

I realise it offers the fastest journey times. Has the total time changed? i.e is the journey time from TBY-KGX quicker or slower in the new timetable, with a change at YRK, than it was in the previous timetable which involved a change at DAR?
I suppose a big selling point, is you don't have use a pacer anymore. ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I realise it offers the fastest journey times. Has the total time changed? i.e is the journey time from TBY-KGX quicker or slower in the new timetable, with a change at YRK, than it was in the previous timetable which involved a change at DAR?
I suppose a big selling point, is you don't have use a pacer anymore. ;)

Dont know!
Anyway - just get the Grand Central from Eaglescliffe! Would that it were from Allens West!

TUC

Established Member
I suspect that this is another consequence of the major timetable recast built around the additional TPE services for which Northern look to have done an incredibly bad job in fighting their corner to avoid detrimental effects for their services alongside the TPE improvements. There are a number of cases where the headways and convenience of timing for connections from Northern services have significantly worsened and Darlington-Saltburn is one of them.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Anyway - just get the Grand Central from Eaglescliffe!

I wouldn't. It's less frequent and it's barely any faster. It can be slightly cheaper but often not by much in my experience. I have no idea why anyone would use Grand Central from the Tees Valley Line. I've only ever used them once or twice from the Redcar direction and on both occasions I left thinking 'I wish I had used East Coast instead'.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I wouldn't. It's less frequent and it's barely any faster. It can be slightly cheaper but often not by much in my experience. I have no idea why anyone would use Grand Central from the Tees Valley Line. I've only ever used them once or twice from the Redcar direction and on both occasions I left thinking 'I wish I had used East Coast instead'.

but you get free wifi! ;)

I tend to only use them to York or Northallerton so can’t really comment after that other than to say it does offer a direct train to London rather than having to change, which is important to many people. Perhaps a call at Middlesbrough would be better for connections into the Darlington line but that wont happen.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
but you get free wifi!

Oh well that changes everything :lol:

I tend to only use them to York or Northallerton so can’t really comment after that other than to say it does offer a direct train to London rather than having to change, which is important to many people. Perhaps a call at Middlesbrough would be better for connections into the Darlington line but that wont happen.

Yes after York they're as fast as EC's non-stop services so it's not so bad but it really does feel like a trundle, in my experience, north of York if you're going to Eaglescliffe.

I'm speaking as an experienced rail traveller so I don't mind changing but that's a good point for a lot of people a direct train is important so that advantage shouldn't be discounted. Have to say it would certainly be nice for Middlesbrough to have a direct service again to London. Perhaps with IEP...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Oh well that changes everything :lol:

Yes after York they're as fast as EC's non-stop services so it's not so bad but it really does feel like a trundle, in my experience, north of York if you're going to Eaglescliffe.

I'm speaking as an experienced rail traveller so I don't mind changing but that's a good point for a lot of people a direct train is important so that advantage shouldn't be discounted. Have to say it would certainly be nice for Middlesbrough to have a direct service again to London. Perhaps with IEP...

The Teesside Executive? The Tees - Thames? (That did run to Saltburn i tihk!)

TUC

Established Member
Anyway - just get the Grand Central from Eaglescliffe!

I use them whenever possible because the message it gives about Teesside having a direct link to London is important and because it's open access and is worthy of support because of the brenrfits competition brings.

Legzr1

I use them whenever possible because the message it gives about Teesside having a direct link to London is important and because it's open access and is worthy of support because of the brenrfits competition brings.

How does that tally with the fact they're owned by DB along with franchised TOC's and a large freight sector?

TUC

Established Member
I'm well aware of that. It's still good for competition in the same way as Hull Trains is despite being majority owned by First.

Legzr1

I wasn't suggesting you weren't aware.

What I was suggesting is that it's laughable thinking OA is any competition to a franchised operator owned and ran by the same company.

Paul Duck

A hell of a lot of passengers use Grand Central. So what if its 10-15 minutes slower than changing at Darlington using East Coast on some occasions. Some Grand central services run between Eaglescliffe and London in less time than a stopping service from Darlignton. Its a lot cheaper if you turn up on the day and buy a walk-up fare (anytime return £138.20 compared to nearly £200 on east coast. The staff are friendly and are really helpfull. We would love to see more Grand central services but we are very happy with the 5 return workings Mon-Sat we already have. Plus it has boosted local businesses around Teesside! I would not be working in the Ticket Office at Eaglescliffe it is wasnt for Grand Central Services, mini-rant over.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Everyone's entitled to an opinion :) And whilst I haven't had cause to use the booking office at Eaglescliffe I'm glad to know it's there, especially from hearing the many glowing reviews of the service offered.

Still I stand by what I say. Given the choice I always choose East Coast.

Paul Duck

No worries ainsworth74. Sorry it seemed like rant its just there has been a few bits and pieces in the local media jumping on the "east coast services to Middlesbrough" bandwagon lately. With people moaning that Teesside has no direct train to London, no mention of the services Grand Central offer.

We try our best at Eaglescliffe. Thank you for mention :D.

Hopefully when Network Rail finally agree to the building of the new waiting room and allow work to begin on expanding the car park it will become an even busier station than it is already.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
With people moaning that Teesside has no direct train to London, no mention of the services Grand Central offer.

I was once going to Sunderland using GC from Eaglescliffe and travelling from the Saltburn direction. The guard came around between Middlesbrough and Thornaby and saw my ticket and told me 'ah you should have changed at Middlesbrough, no bother though just change at Thornaby and get the next train from the same platform' to which I replied 'Oh I'm getting Grand Central from Eaglesciffe' his response? 'Oh Grand Central? I always forget about them!'.

So it's not just members of the public!

Hopefully when Network Rail finally agree to the building of the new waiting room and allow work to begin on expanding the car park it will become an even busier station than it is already.

Yes the bus shelters are better than nothing but a proper waiting room would be very nice. Especially as the platform island there is quite exposed! Are they planning on revamping the existing building or building a new one?

TBY-Paul

I've noticed there's been a few mutterings in the local press lately. Strangely it all seams to be coming from Tees Valley Unlimited.
There was the article in the Evening Gazette about TVU pressing for a Middlesbrough- King's Cross service to be included in the next East Coast franchise. And then Yesterday there was the article on the local BBC news calling for a £80million investment at Darlington Station to be included in CP6.
Tees Valley Unlimited are the people who were supposed to be delivering the Tees Valley Metro, which seams to have gone quiet lately.

Last edited:

Paul Duck

Yes the bus shelters are better than nothing but a proper waiting room would be very nice. Especially as the platform island there is quite exposed! Are they planning on revamping the existing building or building a new one?

They are planning on knocking the old brick building down and removing the shelters to make way for the new waiting room. Its going to be half indoor and heated, most likely only open when the ticket office is open. The 2nd half of the shelter will be covered but still exposed to the elements from the side.

Starmill

Veteran Member
A hell of a lot of passengers use Grand Central. So what if its 10-15 minutes slower than changing at Darlington using East Coast on some occasions. Some Grand central services run between Eaglescliffe and London in less time than a stopping service from Darlignton. Its a lot cheaper if you turn up on the day and buy a walk-up fare (anytime return £138.20 compared to nearly £200 on east coast. The staff are friendly and are really helpfull. We would love to see more Grand central services but we are very happy with the 5 return workings Mon-Sat we already have. Plus it has boosted local businesses around Teesside! I would not be working in the Ticket Office at Eaglescliffe it is wasnt for Grand Central Services, mini-rant over.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion :) And whilst I haven't had cause to use the booking office at Eaglescliffe I'm glad to know it's there, especially from hearing the many glowing reviews of the service offered.

Still I stand by what I say. Given the choice I always choose East Coast.

You may add my voice to the 'glowing reviews' of Eaglescliffe Ticket Office after my recent visit. :D Platform extension... direct trains to London, ticket office with better hours than lots of small towns, that running-in board :P ... Eaglescliffe is becoming quite the unlikely hub! Now just for TPE to call there :D

Last edited:
I live in Thornaby, and travel to London frequently on business. And having once been a regular GC customer these days I drive to Darlington and use East Coast. But I'm pleased that EAG is taking increasing numbers of passengers and is slowly getting facilities reinstated (platform edges longer than a pacer, ticket office, car park with space for cars, and now a waiting room).

As was said above, TPX should also stop there as its become a real interchange.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.