• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dartford Tunnel bicycle bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welly

There used to be a bicycle bus service to take cyclists and their bikes through the Dartford Tunnel shortly after opening in 1963 but it was withdrawn due to lack of demand by 1965.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

busesrusuk

And one of these buses survives and is undergoing (an extremely slow) restoration. Pic here (not mine):

Busaholic

Veteran Member
And one of these buses survives and is undergoing (an extremely slow) restoration. Pic here (not mine):

Given how few there were of them, and the getting on for sixty years since they were withdrawn, it's quite remarkable that one survived. There can be very few people still living who actually travelled on one - I certainly didn't, despite living not too far away.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Funnily enough, the YouTube video in post #1 cropped up on my feed last night and I wondered if it would spark a thread here.

You wouldn't want to be negotiating those stairs after a few pints! :)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Funnily enough, the YouTube video in post #1 cropped up on my feed last night and I wondered if it would spark a thread here.

You wouldn't want to be negotiating those stairs after a few pints! :)
You shouldn't be cycling after a few pints! :smile:

Bedford OB

Given how few there were of them, and the getting on for sixty years since they were withdrawn, it's quite remarkable that one survived. There can be very few people still living who actually travelled on one - I certainly didn't, despite living not too far away.
That one has been carefully and deliberately tucked away for many years with a view to eventual restoration. If I recall correctly, the others finished up on vehicle transporter work. I remember using them through the tunnel with my bike; after they came off, a service was provided for a while using a Land Rover with bicycle trailer, but there was onlyever limited demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.