• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Day Away from London

Status
Not open for further replies.

me123

Established Member
Hi guys, looking for a bit of advice.

I'm visiting London in a couple of months time. I'm flying down with Virgin and, because I'm using frequent flier miles, I could only claim reward flights on the last plane of the day back home from London. So I've got just about a whole day free at the very end.

I was thinking I'd maybe like to visit somewhere interesting near to London that day, even if just for a few hours. I've had a search around, and often get recommendations for places like York, Lincoln and Bath which, whilst definitely lovely cities, are a bit further away than I'd like to go. I'm looking for somewhere that's about an hour from London (1h30 tops) by train, has at least a couple of things to see or do, preferably somewhere that has a traditional English/Southern feel to it, and preferably also has quite a nice train journey as well. I'd also like to avoid rail replacement buses (I'm travelling on the 24th of May).

Cambridge was my first thought, but the replacement buses that day have put me off. Oxford also comes to mind, and looks better in terms of transport options. But I'm sure there's more places in a similar radius that are interesting and "off the beaten track". So, if anyone with a bit of local knowledge could recommend somewhere worth visiting, I'd be really grateful :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Cambridge is OK if you go on the West Anglia route from Liverpool St or Tottenham Hale, no buses that way.

I'll throw in Canterbury for a trip on Southeastern high speed.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
Winchester, Salisbury, Chichester via the Arun Valley (the last is less touristy)...Rye (two routes at least). Haven't checked for RRBs though.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Cambridge is OK if you go on the West Anglia route from Liverpool St or Tottenham Hale, no buses that way.

I'll throw in Canterbury for a trip on Southeastern high speed.

Canterbury is definately worth a visit. And even if the high speed isn't working, you've got the choice of two completely separate classic routes, so you're fairly certain of avoiding the dreaded RRB's

Diplodicus

Brighton gets my vote. The Pavilion is splendid. The pier is free. It's all in walking distance.

me123

Established Member
Thanks for all the good suggestions, and for Milton Keynes. Winchester and Salisbury looking quite interesting places to spend a few hours, they seem to be exactly the kind of thing I'd be looking for!

IanD

Established Member
Thanks for all the good suggestions, and for Milton Keynes. Winchester and Salisbury looking quite interesting places to spend a few hours, they seem to be exactly the kind of thing I'd be looking for!

I've been to Aberdeen. Give me Milton Keynes any day - concrete cows, Bletchley Park, Wolverton Works, Aston Martin, Cock and Bull story and a Superman skyline, why wouldn't you?

me123

Established Member
Just because I live in a grey depressing dump doesn't mean I want to spend a day in another grey depressing dump ;)

me123

Established Member
^Bingo! I have some things that I want/have to do when I'm in London, but otherwise I'm quite keen to spend as little time as possible there! And I know there's plenty of lovely places around about seemed worthwhile exploring.

And MK isn't one of them.

IanD

Established Member
^Bingo! I have some things that I want/have to do when I'm in London, but otherwise I'm quite keen to spend as little time as possible there! And I know there's plenty of lovely places around about seemed worthwhile exploring.

And MK isn't one of them.

Ditch your pre-conceptions and give it a go. It's not grey at all, it's one of the greenest towns in the UK. Might not have the history of your Winchesters and Salisburys and what have you but you have historic buildings in Aberdeen. Thought you wanted something different.

Personally, I'd give Brighton a miss as it is almost as tacky and tawdry as Blackpool these days but if that's what you like then go for it.

me123

Established Member
May will give MK a go at some point, but not just now, it's not what I'm looking for.

Aberdeenshire has lots of nice places and old buildings and history, Aberdeen itself a bit less so. Even if they were similar, the North of Scotland is very different to the South of England, and I don't think that anywhere listed here can be compared to anywhere in Scotland in more than a general sense. (Which is a good thing).

Established Member
Ditch your pre-conceptions and give it a go. It's not grey at all, it's one of the greenest towns in the UK. Might not have the history of your Winchesters and Salisburys and what have you but you have historic buildings in Aberdeen. Thought you wanted something different.

Personally, I'd give Brighton a miss as it is almost as tacky and tawdry as Blackpool these days but if that's what you like then go for it.

And I thought Milton Keynes was a wind up. Even now I'm not sure. Anyway you forgot the No.1 attraction of the Network Rail headquarters.

As for London, won't have a word said against it, wonderful city.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

I don't think that's true at all. The seafront has a certain retro "kiss-me-quick" type feel to it, but overall, it has a more bohemian feel to it, particularly in The Lanes. It also has some decent pubs and a wonderful train shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.