• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Day in the Life of a Depot Driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lufcman

Please can someone give an account of a typical days work for a Depot Driver and what it might entail!
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Beveridges

Established Member
Its an exceptional role. Day to day duties include fuelling, shunting, driving, prep, CET Tanking, Toilet Unblocking, fault finding and fixing, safety crit comms, engine oil and coolant refilling and DP duties. I'll post more later. Any questions on any specifics?

Class2ldn

Established Member
Exceptional..... hmm not too sure about that but each to their own I guess. Anything involving unblocking toilets you can keep thanks very much lol

FGW_DID

Established Member
Please can someone give an account of a typical days work for a Depot Driver and what it might entail!
Thanks

Beveridges said:
Its an exceptional role. Day to day duties include fuelling, shunting, driving, prep, CET Tanking, Toilet Unblocking, fault finding and fixing, safety crit comms, engine oil and coolant refilling and DP duties. I'll post more later. Any questions on any specifics?

It will vary from TOC to TOC (and maybe even depot to depot within a TOC)

Our depot drivers don't do fuelling, CET, toilet unblocking or oil/coolant filling.

Beveridges

Established Member
It will vary from TOC to TOC (and maybe even depot to depot within a TOC)

Our depot drivers don't do fuelling, CET, toilet unblocking or oil/coolant filling.

Well they really are missing out then. Personally I enjoy those duties as they only make up a small % of my workload and when they do come up they add even more variety to a role that already has a load of day to day variety.

GB

Established Member
Missing out on messing with toilets and fueling? Are you for real?

shoot2kill

Well they really are missing out then. Personally I enjoy those duties as they only make up a small % of my workload and when they do come up they add even more variety to a role that already has a load of day to day variety.

You are my favourite troll on the whole internet Beveridges. I almost believe you enjoy cleaning toilets<D

Beveridges

Established Member
Your all getting the wrong impression when it comes to blocked up toilets on depot. 99% of the time the train toilets become blocked simply due to the toilet tanks running out of water. Unblocking a toilet involves little more than positioning the unit on the flushing apron and pouring a bucket of water down the toilet. Only occasionally, when that doesn't work, you have to get the mop out.

Unblocking a toilet is nearly always a very quick task and if that really is enough to put you off then to be honest the railway is not the place for you as there are a lot bigger things than that to whinge about in most jobs.

As for Cleaning toilets ? Who mentioned cleaning ? Cleaning = a job for cleaners.

Last edited:

Legzr1

Unblocking a toilet is nearly always a very quick task and if that really is enough to put you off then to be honest the railway is not the place for you.

Are you serious?

Keep away from railway employment if you don't like human waste?

To the OP - shed duties are a great stepping stone onto greater and better paid jobs although some are quite happy to stagnate.

Mintona

Established Member

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Beveridges

Established Member
I've already said what I have to say about toilet duties and fuelling, what you make of it is up to you

Beveridges

Established Member
21 for depot driving, 18 if its a non-driving shunter position

Most are well above 21 though!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.