• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Day Ranger/Rover from Brighton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
My understanding is that the restrictions on issue was because most TVMs can't handle rovers/rangers correctly. Hence my suggestion that now they are also in the database as normal return tickets, they might be able to be issued more normally, e.g. by a standard booking office machine if the clerk puts in "Any Southern Train" as the destination. Most of the anecdotes people have posted are a few years old and I wouldn't trust National Rail Enquiries to be up-to-date. So I don't think we have a definitive answer yet. As an aside, the Daysaves are still there in the database as rangers, but with slightly cheaper prices: https://www.brfares.com/!rovers?nlc=I444
It can’t be issued from the TIS we use due to the lack of a defined fulfilment method.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
It can’t be issued from the TIS we use due to the lack of a defined fulfilment method.
Very interesting; thanks. I had a look at the RCS (retail control) data and it says:
  • TOCs can issue on Paper Roll Ticket, TOD and standard CCST ticket, but only through WebTIS, i.e. not available in ticket offices.
  • Third Party Retailers can isse on TOD and standard CCST ticket, through WebTIS and also both attended and self-service kiosks.
  • Travel Agents can't issue them at all.
So it looks like 3rd Party Retailers have an advantage here in terms of what they are allowed to do; interesting.

I was sure TrainSplit used to sell these fares for a while, but they seem to be blocking them now.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Brighton to Kensington Olympia day return is the usual one I use to test, but I'm sure there are others.

Iggy12a

Journeys from London to South Coast where there is no Super Off Peak fare available.
Going up to London, the Daysave has no evening peak restriction, unlike a Super Off Peak ticket.

Edit: correction, there are evening restrictions from London

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I believe that these should be available again on TrainSplit now.
Yep, comes up for example if you search for Brighton to Kensington Olympia and select 'Southern only' in advanced options. Can be bought without any advance notice requirement, I was able to look it up for a train leaving in 15 mins' time. It's only offered as ToD though, not as an e-ticket.

I don't know if it's feasible to add a destination of 'Any Southern Train' into the list, in the same way that there's London Underground Zones 1-2 etc.? That would make it even easier to buy these tickets.

RJ

Established Member
Why? It *is* a de-facto Rover ticket! (Though they might sell a few more if people were aware of its price and validity)
They were excellent value indeed. For a period I was commuting between Canterbury West and Blackfriars and used these tickets to travel via HS1 and St Pancras. Mine was a season ticket between Mottisfont and Martin Mill or something like that.

ashworth

Established Member
This is just from memory and its many years since I used a Daysave but aren't they a "special offer" rather than a rover ticket. I seem to recall that this meant that they could only be retailed by Southern and that they could be withdrawn at anytime. There used to be allsorts of Daysaves Peak etc but I think that only the Off Peak ticket now remains.
I remember around 10 years ago there was a 7 Day Daysave ticket available which I think was priced at around £90. It was very useful in the fact that there were no peak time restrictions on the 7 day version. It wasn’t easy to find, it was hidden in a section of the Southern website separate from normal fares, and had to be ordered well in advance online and delivered by post. They were printed in green ticket stock rather than the standard orange.

I used it twice, once whilst staying for a week in Brighton an then again when staying in Croydon. It was useful to have days out along the coast and then be able to use it in the evening for a trip into central London.

If I remember correctly, when the Southern website was updated a few years ago there were problems in selling all versions of Daysave and Downlander tickets and they were not available for some time. Many people thought they would never return. Eventually the only one to return was the current Daysave ticket which greatly increased in price.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Daysave tickets generally can be collected now at any machine, although you're asked to get them from a Southern one. I recently picked one up at West Croydon (London Overground).

Status
Not open for further replies.