• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Day trip to Manchester Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespa

Established Member
Noticed vending machines can issue day rovers.

If I travel from Newton Le Willows with disabled rail card I get a ticket for £5.40

Or GM day saver with Metrolink for which I assume goes from Newton Le Willows too for £9.70 railcard discount is not applied to it.

My question is how far can you go on the Metrolink zone 1, 2 or central so as only etc

Which gives better value and is there any restrictions on where or when you can go, which operator you can travel with ?

There is little specific information on the vending machine regarding this

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230331_104545_HDR.jpg
    20230331_104545_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
  • 20230331_104020.jpg
    20230331_104020.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 20
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Which gives better value and is there any restrictions on where or when you can go, which operator you can travel with ?
It would be difficult to answer this without knowing what you plan to do. However, it is not valid at Newton-le-Willows but does include all rail and Metrolink stations in Greater Manchester, and appears to include all train operators within that area.

Vespa

Established Member
It would be difficult to answer this without knowing what you plan to do. However, it is not valid at Newton-le-Willows but does include all rail and Metrolink stations in Greater Manchester, and appears to include all train operators within that area.
Thanks, I have a concessionaty pass that takes me up to Newton that should cover me ?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
No, the GM rover is not available from Newton le Willows as it's in St Helens/Merseyside.
As ever, there are boundary problems.
I would use a Cheshire Day Ranger for such trips, but of course the price is higher for the wider area and multiple routes included.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Thanks, I have a concessionaty pass that takes me up to Newton that should cover me ?
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are asking. What concessionary pass do you have - you mentioned earlier a Disabled Railcard? If you want to use the GM Daysaver you would have to buy a ticket to get to Patricroft or Wigan which are the closest stations to Newton-le-Willows inside the Daysaver area.

Parjon

Greater Manchester tickets are valid only in GM. You would need a separate ticket to take you over the border into GM in order to use their rover.

Vespa

Established Member
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are asking. What concessionary pass do you have - you mentioned earlier a Disabled Railcard? If you want to use the GM Daysaver you would have to buy a ticket to get to Patricroft or Wigan which are the closest stations to Newton-le-Willows inside the Daysaver area.
Gotcha boundary problems, I was thinking of travelling on the Metrolink and coming back to central Manchester or change trains mix and match the travel options within GM area.

*I have an ENCTS card

NorthWestRover

Established Member
The GM Wayfarer is valid to N-le-W and covers a very wide area. Ridiculously good value on trains, all of Metrolink and buses.

Vespa

Established Member
Just checked out the GM Wayfarer it is good value by the looks of it at £10.70 for ENCTS holders.

I'll have to pop back to the TVM and see if it's available.

That looks to be better than the GM dayranger.

:D

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Has it gone up, I am still seeing it at £10.05 on GM site
Looks like it may have gone up as or around the date of the latest (Sunday 5th March 2023?) fares revisions.

Certainly, the undiscounted Adult GM Wayfarer was £15.20 last time I got one and is now a pound dearer at £16.20 (but still fairly good value on multi leg journeys).

Kite159

Veteran Member
Looks like it may have gone up as or around the date of the latest (Sunday 5th March 2023?) fares revisions.

Certainly, the undiscounted Adult GM Wayfarer was £15.20 last time I got one and is now a pound dearer at £16.20 (but still fairly good value on multi leg journeys).
Especially on weekdays where it doesn't carry any afternoon peak restrictions

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Especially on weekdays where it doesn't carry any afternoon peak restrictions
Indeed, which can be a problem when returning home late afternoon if using the slightly cheaper Greater Manchester TBM (Train/Bus/Tram) "DaySaver" product, currently priced for Adults at £10.90 and not having quite the same geographical coverage as the GM Wayfarer.

Vespa

Established Member
Just brought my wayfarer but I made the mistake of buying from a machine which only gave todays date I had expected to be able to select a start date, so I immediately went over to the ticket office and got a refund and brought a new one for tomorrow, apparently according to the staff it's not possible to select a date in advance for rovers on the TVMs.

Well used my Wayfarer to go from Newton Le Willows after getting my connecting Northern train from Huyton at 6am in the morning, arrived and travelled by Northern train to Altrincham and had a look around before catching the tram back to Piccadilly, then I got the another Northern train to Bolton did the same look around and a meal, then back Northern to Piccadilly then change for a Transport for Wales to East Didsbury, then tram back to Manchester changing for a Trafford centre tram then back to the city centre centre, now having a coffee to have a rest before heading back home via TPE Liverpool later.

With railcard discount I must have saved £15 in train and tram fares over my initial £10.70. I would like to do more but I'm running out of time and I need to keep my energy up.

Manchester concessionary Wayfarer is much better than the original Manchester tram and train dayrover I was going to get.

Thanks for the heads up @NorthWestRover and @Kite159:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.