• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Cargo - Trainee Train Driver (2021/2022)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TonyBrides

Was supposed to start on Monday 16th. Had a phone call on the Thursday before to say they are withdrawing the offer of employment...
That’s awful. I didn’t get a great feeling from recruitment. I applied, was offered an interview with only a couple of days notice.

I couldn’t make it. Asked if it could be rescheduled but I never got a reply.

MrFord

That’s awful. I didn’t get a great feeling from recruitment. I applied, was offered an interview with only a couple of days notice.

I couldn’t make it. Asked if it could be rescheduled but I never got a reply.
Yep, not very professional in my eyes.
Did you manage to get on elsewhere ?

genziu8181

DB Cargo looks like doing many lay offs....

Train_manager

DB Cargo looks like doing many lay offs....
That article refers to DB cargo AG. Which is in Germany and not the UK business.

But maybe the UK next? Who knows.

SuperS16v

Ah, guessing my place in the talent pool is now worth squat, worked so hard for it too, very disappointing

Ah, guessing my place in the talent pool is now worth squat, worked so hard for it too, very disappointing
Yes same. Kick in the teeth really after them leaving me so long after a medical. Honestly I think I could forgive it if they gave us any sort of communication. Hope you manage to get on somewhere else!

I feel for those guys working there and hope everyone. Must be an awful worry best of luck to everyone affected

Lenny_1986

I heard that the Union might potentially look to find employment with other companies for Drivers being made redundant. It would be good if this is the case as it saves people being out of work.

Dogbox

This is so typical of DB, inept managers losing work left, right and centre but it's the drivers that pay the price!

Signal_Box

This is so typical of DB, inept managers losing work left, right and centre but it's the drivers that pay the price!

Other grades have taken massive losses in their headcount over the last 20 years, luckily for drivers (generally) they can walk into new driving jobs relatively easily.

Unlike a shunter, tops clerk or rosters person who have no transferable skills outside the railway (generally speaking).

DB probably have a very high age profile in its driver grade, being a legacy operation. I’d expect the VR will be massively oversubscribed with many drivers only years from natural retirement and many many years under the belts looking at the figures and begging for VR.

800 Driver

Was supposed to start on Monday 16th. Had a phone call on the Thursday before to say they are withdrawing the offer of employment...
This is terrible, however, having passed your psychometrics you should apply for other jobs at TOCs

Mr_Resist0r

This is terrible, however, having passed your psychometrics you should apply for other jobs at TOCs
I agree, but bear in mind that DB psycho tests are to the national standard and not enhanced and as such are useless at a lot of TOCs and FOCs. Unless of course, you retake them and pass the higher standard. I think GBRF take the national on the FOC side.

NorthernTech

I agree, but bear in mind that DB psycho tests are to the national standard and not enhanced and as such are useless at a lot of TOCs and FOCs. Unless of course, you retake them and pass the higher standard. I think GBRF take the national on the FOC side.
Not at all ‘useless’ as you say. The companies that use Enhanced tests either have a higher pass mark on some tests, and may only be something like the Group Bourdon for example, or they have extra tests to complete. The applicant may have passed to National Standard but on application to a train company who wants enhanced, the OPC would check the marks they had got on the tests already completed, and it could well be that they were already above that TOC/FOC’s enhanced mark, and therefore be holding a full pass and not need to do any more.

IMO they are in a better position than not having a full national standard pass, and as well as that, they have experience of doing the tests should they need to revisit some/all to complete again in the future.

Spincity

I disagree, the results aren’t useless. The person may have reached the enhanced scores but just not know it. They may only have to sit one test, and have already been through thd process so know what’s required. They are in a strong position, plenty of TOCs still take national scores, so potentially straight to DMI.

Mr_Resist0r

Not at all ‘useless’ as you say. The companies that use Enhanced tests either have a higher pass mark on some tests, and may only be something like the Group Bourdon for example, or they have extra tests to complete. The applicant may have passed to National Standard but on application to a train company who wants enhanced, the OPC would check the marks they had got on the tests already completed, and it could well be that they were already above that TOC/FOC’s enhanced mark, and therefore be holding a full pass and not need to do any more.

IMO they are in a better position than not having a full national standard pass, and as well as that, they have experience of doing the tests should they need to revisit some/all to complete again in the future.
I disagree, the results aren’t useless. The person may have reached the enhanced scores but just not know it. They may only have to sit one test, and have already been through thd process so know what’s required. They are in a strong position, plenty of TOCs still take national scores, so potentially straight to DMI.
Of course, if they already passed to the higher standard then that's great. What I'm saying is, that if they didn't and have to retake the exams and unfortunately pass to a lower standard the second time round they lose a life and also lose the pass they had. Most TOCs I've applied for and have set exams for usually make you take the whole thing again regardless as each one can slightly differ. I'm not saying the pass itself is useless but applying with it to TOC's that don't accept the national standard can hinder not help. Of course, I can only speak from my own experience.

MrFord

How do you go about finding what test results you got ?

I haven't been on here for a while as I've felt so pissed off to say the least ,that I've lost interest as you can imagine.
I would like to know what my results are and how I go about finding out....
I still look for Trainee Positions, but nothing at present.

Carl98k

How do you go about finding what test results you got ?

I haven't been on here for a while as I've felt so pissed off to say the least ,that I've lost interest as you can imagine.
I would like to know what my results are and how I go about finding out....
I still look for Trainee Positions, but nothing at present.
Contact the OPC. They won’t tell you the score, but will tell you if you’ve passed to standard or enhanced.