• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Cargo - Trainee Train Driver (2021/2022)

Unknown2020

Nice one, Unknown. Which station/depot are you at? Was you waiting long?
Carlisle! I applied in May 2019 and starting in July:D

Well done, I bet you are so relieved after waiting quietly for a good while not knowing what was going on?! Did they contact you or was in reply to a message you sent?
So happy that I’m starting! Over the moon :D
They contacted me, I did email asking for updates a couple of times but this was a separate email I received.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthernTech

Carlisle! I applied in May 2019 and starting in July:D

So happy that I’m starting! Over the moon :D
They contacted me, I did email asking for updates a couple of times but this was a separate email I received.
I’m dreaming being at that point, I can’t stand my current job now which doesn’t help in the short term but, should anything ever materialise from my applications, the result will feel so sweet. I’ve just got to patiently wait it out, and gather experience for interview answers. Well done again.

Unknown2020

I’m dreaming being at that point, I can’t stand my current job now which doesn’t help in the short term but, should anything ever materialise from my applications, the result will feel so sweet. I’ve just got to patiently wait it out, and gather experience for interview answers. Well done again.
Il keep my fingers crossed for you! It is a long process, but absolutely worth it!

NorthernTech

Do DB allow applications from people outside of the 1 hour limit if they are willing to relocate?
I think they stated on the application that you had to be within an hour of a particular postcode, likely to be the booking on point of the depot being applied for.

DB Cargo get you to retake all the psych tests if it's been more than 6 months since you did them. So, not sure how much of an edge it would give you other than suggesting that you're more likely to pass them again if you've sat them previously.
Hi do you know this for certain? I've not heard of any other companies doing this and when I applied for Arriva they were happy with my passes that were over 18 months old

Completely understand how you're feeling bud. Hopefully we will both get to enjoy the fruits of our labour.

1867Blue

Hi do you know this for certain? I've not heard of any other companies doing this and when I applied for Arriva they were happy with my passes that were over 18 months old
Hi BenjaminButton

one candidate on my assessment had to redo them all, after only failing one previously.

YingYing

Your tests are valid for 5 years.

What yingying is saying is total rubbish.
Hi, yes your results are valid for 5 years. But it is up to the individual company whether they accept them. I had OPC passes when I applied to DB Cargo, but as quoted from an email I received from them: "...as these results are over 6 months you will need to undertake all the assessment again for DB Cargo UK, this is a DB company policy requirement."

Stigy

Established Member
Your tests are valid for 5 years.

What yingying is saying is total rubbish.
It’s not total rubbish at all. Although the tests are valid for a period of time, the TOC/FOC can make you retake them if you want to profess your application with them. I’ve heard about both DB and GWR doing this. However, both companies accepted my passes from months or years previously when I applied for both, so whether or not it’s a consistent approach is another matter.

Atishyou

Thanks for your replies, I thought that was odd!
Does anyone know if 30k is a starting wage?
That's the starting wage and Junior Driver wage.

When you've done all your training and qualified as a mainline driver, you'll get put up to full money when you've signed your first route.

That's the starting wage and Junior Driver wage.

When you've done all your training and qualified as a mainline driver, you'll get put up to full money when you've signed your first route.
Ok thanks, whats the likelihood of going mainline from Junior Driver?

Stigy

Established Member
As has been said, it’ll be down to requirements at your chosen depot largely, but from what I gather, going man online from JD is actually a recognised career progression with DB so I’d imagine it’s quite likely?

Atishyou

It's a progressive role as has been said, but it'll depend on requirements at the hub.

For example, some depots have had the same junior drivers for about 3 years, whereas other hubs have promoted ones before they've fully passed out.

There's nothing to stop you applying for mainline positions at other hubs if it's within traveling distance for you.

Eddie77

On a separate note, dis anyone else find it really difficult to communicate with HR during the application process. I have sent 3 emails to HR and none of them have been answered. The original email was sent in February?

NorthernTech

On a separate note, dis anyone else find it really difficult to communicate with HR during the application process. I have sent 3 emails to HR and none of them have been answered. The original email was sent in February?
If I recall correctly, it said at the bottom of the application not to email them about the application as they are likely to be busy, or something along those lines. Obviously if you have a further issue to contact for, then hopefully they would respond, but if it is just a follow up on the application then they are likely to ignore. It’s difficult to sit back and wait, but usually someone will post up on here when any movement occurs with the position.

Eddie77

If I recall correctly, it said at the bottom of the application not to email them about the application as they are likely to be busy, or something along those lines. Obviously if you have a further issue to contact for, then hopefully they would respond, but if it is just a follow up on the application then they are likely to ignore. It’s difficult to sit back and wait, but usually someone will post up on here when any movement occurs with the position.
Its been that long ago I cant remember what the application said lol. I've emailed them 3 times for clarification on something and an update in 2 years. I dont think they will see me as a pest (yet) lol

Thanks for the heads up

NorthernTech

Its been that long ago I cant remember what the application said lol. I've emailed them 3 times for clarification on something and an update in 2 years. I dont think they will see me as a pest (yet) lol

Thanks for the heads up
Ahh..this thread is for the recent May 21 trainee positions, so I thought you’d only applied then. There is a separate thread for the older DB Cargo applications that gets regular posts. Hope you hear back..

Eddie77

Ahh..this thread is for the recent May 21 trainee positions, so I thought you’d only applied then. There is a separate thread for the older DB Cargo applications that gets regular posts. Hope you hear back..
Thanks mate, I'm on that thread as well. Just thought I'd get some reflection from this one as well to see if we have the same struggles

1867Blue

Anyone know the shift patterns at DB Cargo for junior drivers/trainee drivers? Or is it dependant on location.

thanks in advance

Mancdad

Just had an update email, says they are reviewing my application and give them 2 weeks! Looks like possible movement