• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Cargo - Withdrawing from future Railtour Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
UK Railtours latest email mailing list update contained the following statement:

We've been asked several times about our plans for 2024, and we'd hoped to have our Q1 and Q2 trains live by now, so we thought we'd include an update in this week's newsletter.

You may have seen in the railway press in the past couple of weeks that DB Cargo, one of our operating partners, has announced a large number of redundancies across their driver pool. Unfortunately this has also led to DB Cargo declining any new charter work, and so we've had to go back to the drawing board with a lot of our plans.

This could have a large effect on railtour operations in the UK, presumably ones to freight installations especially. With DRS and apparently ROG not interested in railtours either anymore, it does look like the options are dwindling for future railtours and this decision could have quite a big impact.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

So what ones are left?

GBRf
LSL
West Coast
don't think freightliner has a passenger licence though I did see a charter pulled by one once but presumably with someone else's drivers.

On Moderation
So what ones are left?

GBRf
LSL
West Coast
don't think freightliner has a passenger licence though I did see a charter pulled by one once but presumably with someone else's drivers.
RailAdventure.

bleeder4

They're not withdrawing entirely, just confining themselves to the regular repeat contracts like the Belmond, rather than the one-off ad-hoc ones. Any already-agreed ad-hoc tours for 2024 will be honoured.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Blows quite a large hole in the railtour market I'd suggest. Feels like DB were quite key to a number of different promoters plans even if they're still keeping going with their repeat contractors.

Yes I believe they're willing to provide their locomotives but don't actually operate any charters themselves. The charters I've done featuring Freightliner locomotives have very much been DB Cargo operated but with Freightliner traction at the appropriate moment.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Could it possibly be in the end, Lsl and Wcrc do the majority of tours, with Gbrf doing the more adhoc, tours? If Db pull away fully, in years to Come.?
However haven't seen much from rail adventure, or any future planned tours with its class 50 or mk3 set either. At Gasgoine Wood. However means more for Wcrc due to Db situation so obviously the door mods it needs ie to Wcrs stock, will be more than worth it to them.

On Moderation
However haven't seen much from rail adventure, or any future planned tours with its class 50 or mk3 set either. At Gasgoine Wood.
Neither the stock nor the Class 50 is RailAdventure owned. They have been the train operator for tours using that stock.

RailAdventure were also the train operator for 125 Group’s first mainline tour during October.

12LDA28C

Established Member
So what ones are left?

GBRf
LSL
West Coast

I can't see LSL wanting to take on any third-party work, they're busy enough with their own various charter brands already. I predict more work coming West Coast's way.

1Q18

Isn't this so they can run their occasional services to Minehead via west Somerset railway ?
They’ve had it since privatisation, GWT as was ran charters with their HSTs all round the country, in conjunction with Hertfordshire Railtours.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
CrossCountry recently ran their HST Farewell railtour to Swanage. Under who’s charter license was it operated out of interest?

On Moderation
CrossCountry recently ran their HST Farewell railtour to Swanage. Under who’s charter license was it operated out of interest?
I believe it was under XC’s own passenger licence? Almost the entire route was covered by XC’s existing operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.